Sesame Street Episode 847 with Margaret Hamilton

gravy

Reaction score
I get that. But still, it's not cool. You wouldn't film in a movie theater or Broadway show, would you? And it's not fair to Craig or Stephanie or the good folks at the Jim Henson Legacy and MOMI. In the end, it's potentially damaging for any future rare screenings they may want to do because the fans can't be trusted to keep their phones in their pockets.
For what it's worth, we at ToughPigs (as well as the Muppet Wiki) are working hard to get some of this old and rare stuff out into the world, but we still need to work legitimately with Sesame, Disney, and Henson, or else we risk things being locked up in the vaults even tighter. There are people fighting to release this content one way or another, and bootlegs and pirating don't help our case at all.
SAY IT LOUDER FOR THE PEOPLE IN THE BACK!!

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, we at ToughPigs (as well as the Muppet Wiki) are working hard to get some of this old and rare stuff out into the world, but we still need to work legitimately with Sesame, Disney, and Henson, or else we risk things being locked up in the vaults even tighter. There are people fighting to release this content one way or another, and bootlegs and pirating don't help our case at all.
Yes, we totally agree Joe. We're here to help in any way we can.

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
I know it literally makes no diifference, but I wasn't there nor recorded any audio, but I care way too much about this episode to not spread the word.

I still don't understand the big deal: so it's a rights issue? Would Sesame Workshop honestly get in any trouble if the entire episode leaked? I don't think so.

I know it's comparing an apple to an orange, but people were so oddly protective of Cracks, it leaked and not a **** thing happened.

And the floodgates are opening: blameitonjorge is working on uploading the entire thing, so many pictures have been leaked on the LMW discord (and some reposts on MC's) and the original leakers plan on sharing everything once the dust settles.

Adults should know better, even when it's related to a children's show.
I think all logic goes out the window when adults care this much about a children's show. 😆

Edit: And Bliff had a good point on discord: the Mr. Rogers and Paul Lynde appearances have circulated without an issue, so what's different here?

Last edited:

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I still don't understand the big deal: so it's a rights issue? Would Sesame Workshop honestly get in any trouble if the entire episode leaked? I don't think so.
There are certainly rights that need to be cleared with her estate, and I dunno probably whoever owns the rights to the WOZ film. But it was pulled from air for a reason. Even Norman Stiles said he wouldn't have allowed any of what we saw to make it to air if he were on staff at the time - if it was frightening children, it wasn't entertaining, thus muddling the educational component.

The reason they were able to show this in the first place was because the event was educational in nature, in that there was an informative discussion surrounding the educational content of the pieces and other factors that result in things being pulled.

I don't know what sort of legal factors there would be for SW if whatever video people took at the event were leaked out, but it would not reflect well on the Jim Henson Legacy and their relationship with SW - they allowed it to be shown under certain conditions and people were asked to abide by them.

the Mr. Rogers and Paul Lynde appearances have circulated without an issue, so what's different here?
Because those are two entirely different things - her appearance on Mister Rogers is as herself and all she does is put on the outfit - no controversy surrounding it. The Paul Lynde thing is clearly for adults, so it's not even comparable.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
I have a question out of curiosity, was Starship Surprise was shown?

scarecroe

Reaction score
I have a question out of curiosity, was Starship Surprise was shown?
The episode in which this aired is currently unknown.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
The episode in which this aired is currently unknown.

Okay, I am quite curious about this segment because, it was a prototype of Spaceship Surprise and the evolution.

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
There are certainly rights that need to be cleared with her estate, and I dunno probably whoever owns the rights to the WOZ film. But it was pulled from air for a reason. Even Norman Stiles said he wouldn't have allowed any of what we saw to make it to air if he were on staff at the time - if it was frightening children, it wasn't entertaining, thus muddling the educational component.

The reason they were able to show this in the first place was because the event was educational in nature, in that there was an informative discussion surrounding the educational content of the pieces and other factors that result in things being pulled.

I don't know what sort of legal factors there would be for SW if whatever video people took at the event were leaked out, but it would not reflect well on the Jim Henson Legacy and their relationship with SW - they allowed it to be shown under certain conditions and people were asked to abide by them.

Because those are two entirely different things - her appearance on Mister Rogers is as herself and all she does is put on the outfit - no controversy surrounding it. The Paul Lynde thing is clearly for adults, so it's not even comparable.
Good... that's what I suspected.

Scott threw everyone for a loop when he said it wasn't banned, which it clearly was -- I've just heard way too many conflicting reports on why this can't be released, which yours seems the most plausible.

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
Here's Stephanie elaborating on the legality of the episode (and any other celebrity appearances for that matter [hence, why they probably made it a point to show them at the event]):

So in reality it's just a horrendous combination of rights, scaring young kids and not being educational enough... ticks too many boxes. And a lot of that legality stuff is beyond my comprehension tbh.