Same Muppeteer Having Two Characters in One Scene

BEAR

Reaction score
Songs were usually pre-recorded.

Xerus

Reaction score
I remember an old skit where Grover was singing, Whenever I Feel Afraid, Cookie Monster soon joins him and then get scared away by a cute little pink boy also voiced by Frank Oz. Frank was doing all the character voices in that skit.

BEAR

Reaction score
I just realized today that with some of the recent cast changes, it will be easier to put our three favorite blue monsters together: Grover (Eric Jacobson), Cookie (David Rudman), and Herry (Jerry Nelson).

Also, did you ever notice how Jim Henson was the only Muppeteer not to have a monster character. Everyone else did.

Frank Oz: Grover & Cookie Monster
Jerry Nelson: Herry Monster
Martin Robinson: Telly
Kevin Clash: Elmo & Natasha
Carroll Spinney: Oscar
Fran Brill: Zoe
Carmen Osbahr: Rosita
David Rudman: Humphrey
Joey Mazzarino: Ingrid (I think)

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
BEAR said:
Also, did you ever notice how Jim Henson was the only Muppeteer not to have a monster character. Everyone else did.

Carroll Spinney: Oscar

Do you guys usually associate Oscar as a monster? I know he was in the original "C is for Cookie" chorus, but I always thought it was b/c they were short on enough furry characters to fill the background and wasn't really a monster?

BEAR

Reaction score
jeffkjoe said:
Do you guys usually associate Oscar as a monster? I know he was in the original "C is for Cookie" chorus, but I always thought it was b/c they were short on enough furry characters to fill the background and wasn't really a monster?

I actually do associate him as a monster. Yes, he is a Grouch and that is the "species" he belongs to, but to me he is a monster character. He looks just like the other Monsters, just with a gloomy expression.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Harvey

Actually, Jim henson often performed harvey Monster, the dark blue monster with black eyebrows, big orange (I coudl be wrong about the color) nose, and yellow horns, seen in the songs "We're all monsters", "fur", and "ABC Disco" (where he was performed by Richard Hunt). he also appeared in the Monsterpiece Theatre segment "Me, Claudius".

Richard Hunt also had a few monster characters, but his most major monster character, Two-headed Monster, was shared with Jerry Nelson. His other regular monster characters, Leo and Aristotle, didn't last very long (I think they both only lasted one year each), and of course we all know how he didn't like to perform Elmo.

Thijs

Reaction score
jeffkjoe said:
I believe that grouch is a sub-species of monster.

BEAR

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
Actually, Jim henson often performed harvey Monster, the dark blue monster with black eyebrows, big orange (I coudl be wrong about the color) nose, and yellow horns, seen in the songs "We're all monsters", "fur", and "ABC Disco" (where he was performed by Richard Hunt). he also appeared in the Monsterpiece Theatre segment "Me, Claudius".

Richard Hunt also had a few monster characters, but his most major monster character, Two-headed Monster, was shared with Jerry Nelson. His other regular monster characters, Leo and Aristotle, didn't last very long (I think they both only lasted one year each), and of course we all know how he didn't like to perform Elmo.

Yes, Richard Hunt had half of the Two Headed Monster. I knew he had one too but i couldn't remember.

But as Henson may have done voices for a couple Monsters, he never had a principle monster character. He was the only one who hasn't.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
BEAR said:
I actually do associate him as a monster. Yes, he is a Grouch and that is the "species" he belongs to, but to me he is a monster character. He looks just like the other Monsters, just with a gloomy expression.
Yeah, though Oscar's furry and a bit similar to other SS monsters, I think it's pretty clear that he's just a "Grouch." As for Jim not having a monster character to perform. I doubt that. Sure, he didn't perform any regular commonly known monsters, but I'm sure he performed some extra monsters in the background if not on "Sesame Street" at least on "The Muppet Show." That is a good observation, though.

Censored

Reaction score
Thijs said:
I believe that grouch is a sub-species of monster.

It gets a little confusing because it's sometimes implied that some humans could be grouches too.