Rowlf

Timotheus

Reaction score
As a musician, I greatly admire Rowlf. Yes, there's things on piano that he does that I'm not sure anyone can do since someone else does the piano playing (yes, playing piano and singing at the same time, that's doable; it took me forever to learn how to do that on guitar, I'm starting to be able to do that on piano...but I'd like to see a human pianist introduce a guest star and play at the same time like in the opening of the Ben Vereen ep!)
I have been introduced to some awesome songs through his skits...I love that song "May You Always" from the Avery Schrieber ep that Baba was talking about. I like it so much that I went and transcribed it!
Anyway, as far as bringing Rowlf back, perhaps they need to find a Muppeteer who has a personality similar to Jim's...even if he couldn't do the voice, the character might become more believable with someone whose personality matched his more closely. I dunno...it's a thought.
By the way, who else could do a bad pun the way Dr. Bob did? No other character than Rowlf's seemed to be able to do so many.
In short...I love Rowlf.

Timotheus

Reaction score
Oh, this is sort of slightly off-topic, but I was channel surfing the other day and ran across something on...PBS, I think, of some rather odd musical act. It made me think a bit of Lawrence Welk, except they seemed to be playing some musical style that I couldn't put my finger on. Almost sounded like really bad polka, or mariachis, but they had a full orchestra like back during the big band era. (It was some dated footage, I know that much.) Anyway, they cut to this lady playing the piano the way Rowlf did, or at least in such a way that made me think of him. Seriously...it was this lady with one of those 60's blonde hairdo's that flipped up at the bottom, and she kept looking over to the camera from her piano with this brainless grin plastered on her face. It made it rather clear that she was a top notch musician. It was also kind of annoying...but, it made me think of Rowlf.

golden teeth

Reaction score
Rowlf was on the show a lot, but he never did have any backstage moments. He was only in sketches.

Timotheus

Reaction score
Pardon me if I state the obvious, but that was probably because Kermit was in most of the backstage action.

BEAR

Reaction score
golden teeth said:
Rowlf was on the show a lot, but he never did have any backstage moments. He was only in sketches.

Not true. There were some occassions when Rowlf was backstage. The Gene Kelly episode for example.

Timotheus

Reaction score
Now that I think about it, he was also backstage on the Harvey Korman episode.

Gonzo14

Reaction score
but Rowlf is one of the most well known characters, even if he didn't get a lot of backstage scenes

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Bill Bubble Guy said:
Can you see Rowlf popping out of that big O to say It's the Muppet Show etc.?
Can I? I've actually written a fanfic in which Kermit isn't at the theater, and it is in fact Rowlf who pops out of that big O!

I do wish that Rowlf would be used more now. He's definately one of my top three favorite Muppets. I also think it would have been cool to have him interact with Kermit more on The Muppet Show, but of course that would've been pretty difficult. It would be possible now, though, and I would like to see it. On the other hand, I'd just like to see Rowlf.