Votes: 3 9.1%
  • R-AH-lf (rAHlf)

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • R-AW-lf (rolf)

Votes: 13 39.4%

• Total voters

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Lol, I'm glad I'm not the only one who's ever noticed this! For the most part, I have heard it pronounced as "R-AW-lf." Similar to the German name "Rolf." Perhaps the spelling was intended to remind people of a "howl."

Yet I have heard various characters and puppeteers say "Ralph" over the years, perhaps because it's more common to English speaking ears.

BEAR

Reaction score
I've always heard it as "R-ALL-F", so I've always pronounced it "R-ALL-F".

The only different pronunciation I've heard is Quentin Tarantino, who pronounces it as "Ralph".

Fozzie called him "Ralph" in Muppet Family Christmas.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
I suppose Rowlf is probably meant to be pronounced in such a way as to resemble the noise a dog might make. "Rawff. Rawff." or so.
I thought it was probably meant to be a pun on the name "Ralph" or "Rolf"

Beauregard

Reaction score
Accordint to Smilie Central, another way to pronounce his name is "sympathy". See? :sympathy: :sympathy: :sympathy:

(Sparts....Don't talk to me about sports! I kicked my first football last year and lived to regret it.)

anytimepally

Reaction score
in A Muppet Family Christmas, it sounds to me like Rowlf pronounces his own name "R-AW-lf (rolf)".. when he says "I'm Rowlf the Dog, I come for the holidays."

Beauregard

Reaction score
Yeah, that' one of the things that has always attracted me to that movie. The way that Rowlf speaks when he arrives is so crisp and clear. Along with that amazing piano.

(Shh...)

MrsPepper

Reaction score
I'm confused a bit by the pronunciations on the poll... I say Rowlf like raw + lf.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I just say it whichever way it comes out. Since the only person who likes the muppets besides me is my dad, he pretty much knows what I am talking about.