Remembering Richard Hunt

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmmyMik

Reaction score
Great menu Jamie!

It's hard to believe that it's been 11 years. People often say that Jim's death had a huge impact on the Muppets. Of course they're right. The man did so many things. But you can't say that Richard's passing had no visible effect on the Muppet. Even more than not seeing the likes of Scooter, Janice, and so on. It's much more than that. The way he interacted with performers and guest stars, if you take that away, there's bound to be a difference. The other week I was watching the Christmas movie. As I was watching the end, where all of the characters were singing together, I realized how weird that sounded. It was almost like one big voice. I miss Richard's glorious voice, shining above the rest. Somehow that makes everything that he's ever done much more special. Thank you Richard!

Your face!

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Originally posted by Super Scooter
Was Cliff's Nightmare Richard's last project, or was it Muppetvision 3D? He's listed in the credits of both.
Actually, it depends on how you look at it. Cliff's Nightmare (originally aired Jan. 11, 1990) was not his last project. MuppetVision 3D was still being worked on when Jim passed away, and Richard (as I recall) didn't even do any puppeteering in that -- he just voiced the animatronic Statler and the "live" Sweetums. However, Scooter also appeared in The Muppets Celebrate Jim Henson, at least at one point to read one of the letters to Jim. (Can anyone help me out if I'm wrong here? I hadn't realized till just now how little Richard had to do with those projects.)

Anyway, the point is that MCJH is the last project that Richard worked on, but MV3D was actually released the following summer ('91) due to the technology they had to build into the Disney World theater. So either one could technically be considered Richard's "last" project.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Richard did tape some segments for Sesame in 1991 so it's likely that was his last performance.

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Oooh. That's what I love about the Internet--you're always learning something new! :smile: Thanks, Phil. I wonder if anyone has a copy of these segments on tape?

Beauregard

Reaction score
I sit here. I don't really know what to say. I want to say somthing. What? What is there to say? Nothing you do can bring him back. I just hope that he and Jim went to Heaven, then maybe one day I'll meet them.

All I think I can say is thet his caracters must live on.

Janice, Scooter, Sweetums. Such a diversety of caracters.

jeremyactor

Reaction score
The only Richard characters in MV3D movie are Beaker, Statler, and Sweetums.

Scooter is in the preshow, but he makes no appearance in the film itself. which is a shame - it would have been fun to have him in there.

Jeremy

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Thanks, man.

This is sort of on a different train of thought, but, I think I know why people didn't like Steve's Kermit. (I like it) It's because, he started doing it almost immediately after his death. We've had to wait ten years until (most of) Richard Hunt's characters came back. It's been so long, we don't care what they sound like, just so long as their back. I bet if they had waited a few years before bringing back Kermit, we would have apreciated him a lot more.

The same goes for Jim's other characters. It's been so long, we don't care! We just want them back.

Thijs

Reaction score
When Scooter sings his part in `Saying Goodbey`, I always get sad and think of Richard.

About Scooter, when I saw The Caper for the 50th time or so today, I was afraid that when somebody else will perform Scooter, his voice will be so different, it will be awful to hear it, and everybody will be sorry for not leaving it a legend. Richard`s voice is the most special of all. It`s the hardest voice to imitate.

But I haven`t heard Adam Hunt`s Scooter yet. It`s his brother, so...how does it sound? And will he perform Janice, Sweetums and Statler too?

What was Richard`s wish? To keep his characters alive?

Status
Not open for further replies.