Remembering Fred Rogers...

JamieDenny

Reaction score
I can't write any memories about Mr Rogers, never having seen the show, living in the UK but I did want my transatlantic friends to know I'm thinking about them, and by the sounds of it this MR Rogers was one heck of a guy.
Jamie:frown:

electricmayhem

Reaction score
Originally posted by EmmyMik
And that just goes to show you how wonderful Mr. Rogers is. I had the makings of a horrible day, but it's not. I left the house a little late, but with a smile on my face. He's not gone. Not from our hearts...
That's a really nice story, well said:smile:

Gonzo14

Reaction score
I too, grew up with Mr. Rogers (and I thought his name was Ted:confused: )

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's an article that goes into some detail about Fred's last days along with his strong faith and confidence. There are links to some nice video clips and links to helping children deal with this issue as well.

Pastor Says Mister Rogers Handled Impending Death With Class
Rogers Confided In Reverend

PITTSBURGH -- Fred Rogers was known for offering hope and encouragement to people who were going through difficult times. But how did he handle the harsh reality he was dying?

"Fred and his wife, Joanne, told me after worship early in January he'd be going in for surgery," Rev. John McCall said.

McCall is pastor of the 6th Presbyterian Church in Squirrel Hill, where Rogers and his family have been members for 30 years.

McCall says while Rogers wished to protect his privacy, he confided in his pastor. McCall says Rogers handled his impending death with class, "Like he did everything else, very graciously. He was uncomfortable for a long time. He was courageous," McCall said.

Rogers attended Sunday school for adults at the church and was a regular at the 11 a.m. service.

McCall says Rogers was loved and respected by the congregation, but was never treated any differently. He didn't want that.

It was his strong faith and the encouragement he gave to so many ... the words that he would now follow one last time.

"I had one opportunity to say goodbye to him when we both knew it would be the last time we saw one another. We had a prayer together and now it is very meaningful for me. By that time, he could only communicate with us on a limited basis, but he was very appreciative of the prayer and said amen when we were done," McCall said.

McCall says Rogers' death will be acknowledged during services this Sunday, but will not be the focus.

He is presiding over a private service for the family Saturday at an undisclosed location.

http://www.wpxi.com/news/2011721/detail.html

Mattpet

Reaction score
it is truly sad when someone dies who is so truly kind and gentle, we will all miss you :sympathy:

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Note -

My mom pointed an interesting point out in regards to the Diane Rehm interview;

There is a point in it where he says that song cheered him when he had the blues. Diane asked him why he had the blues, and his response was: "I had a stomach ache."

My mom thinks it was probably related, and though I guess we have no way to proove it, it is still an eerie and really sad thought.

:cry:

-Matt

jedifraggle

Reaction score
He lives forever in video and our hearts.

Let us continue to follow his example.
I always felt safe and imaginative watching his show.

Cheers! - to my favorite childhood escapes into other worlds

Lucas: A Galaxy Far, Far Away
Rogers: Land Of Make Believe
Henson: Fraggle Rock

:halo:

Doogied

Reaction score
Originally posted by Jackie
That was Princess Leia. You got them confused.
Noppers... Lady Aberlin was the nun the angels talked to in the begining of the movie in the airport.... she goes home to re-think her life... check out the credits, Betty Aberlin is there... no Uncle Friday though.....

Rowlf the dog

Reaction score
I am and always have been a Captain Kangaroo fan, but I saw Mister Rogers over the years and knew the values he was teaching. Although he was no longer producing new shows, I know how comforting it is to me to know Bob Keeshan, who feels like an old friend, is still with us. I was a grown man when Jim died and I have to tell you when I think about it, tears come to my eyes to this day. So I wanted to say to Fred Roger's true fans you have my condolence.

:sympathy: Rowlf the dog