Remembering Caroll Spinney (December 26, 1933-December 8, 2019)

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
This morning I logged into Instagram and the first thing I saw was a photo from Sesame's account with Caroll and Big Bird with "Caroll Spinney 1933-2019". I thought to myself "huh?" and read the caption/description. Like everybody else, I was at a loss for words. While I'm not completely surprised as he's been struggling with his dystonia and age overall throughout the last several years, but considering he's always been apart of SS for as long as I can remember, it's still heartbreaking and tragic...it feels like when I found about Jerry Nelson's death all over again. Considering this year is the show's 50th anniversary, it's slightly ironic that he just died, although I'm pleased he was able to live through the occasion. (My mom and one of my sisters even pointed out it feels sudden considering we just saw him in the anniversary special a few weeks back)

RIP Caroll. Thank you for all the entertainment and happiness you've given over the years; you'll be missed. I hope you have a lovely (or rotten, whatever your mood will be) reunion with all the other puppeteers, directors, writers, composers/lyricists...and basically everybody else who worked with SS that have already passed away (not to mention any other famous people you worked well with over the years).

:wisdom: :grouchy:

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Wow, it's amazing you can remember an episode when you were only 1-2 years old.
I was only 18 months old. We had this black and white tv- we wouldn't get color for another year or so. I vaguely remember Big Bird and Ernie. But that theme song was tattooed on my brain.
When we finally got a color set, it was like being able to see for the first time.
In those early days my older brother and sister watched with me. They were closer to school age, but nobody thought I was too young to watch. After a while they lost interest, but because I wasn't old enough for school yet, Sesame became my daily ritual. When I finally got to kindergarten, I was primed to learn.
I owe a big debt not just to Caroll, but anyone involved in the show. And when Big Bird sang, it was magic.
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Is the longest Polish name I ever seen... 8)

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
I have never met you in person, but Big Bird made a special visit to my 2nd birthday party to deliver balloons, and that captured moment will stick with me forever.
To bring some levity to this thread, these costumes were at a cousin's party when I was younger and I hid in the swimming pool cause they freaked me out.

I actually believe it's the same one in your avatar... I guess we had different reactions to it.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
This is sad news, though I figured the end was near.

Interestingly, last night I had a dream in which I learned something new about how Bruno worked, something involving his hands.

these past few days the Muppet Wiki forum has had a few discussions on him.

Zappetman

Reaction score
RIP Caroll Spinney. You were (and still are) one of my favorite puppeteers and people of all time. You also were an amazing puppet builder, cartoonist, and painter. Say hello to Jim Henson, Richard Hunt, Jerry Nelson, Don Sahlin, Kermit Love, Jane Henson, Jerry Juhl, Matt Robinson, Michael Earl, Will Lee and John Stone for us. Also say hi to other puppeteers that didn't work for The Muppet such as Bil Baird, Brad Willams, Shari Lewis, Bob Baker etc.

Schfifty

Reaction score
To bring some levity to this thread, these costumes were at a cousin's party when I was younger and I hid in the swimming pool cause they freaked me out.

I actually believe it's the same one in your avatar... I guess we had different reactions to it.
I don't think the head matches that one. It's possible that my grandma had it done at her costume shop, but this was way long ago. The Big Bird costume that we currently have in storage also (oddly) has yellow legs instead of orange.

cahuenga

Reaction score
does someone know when will be shown the scenes Caroll did record for season 50? thanks!