RED ALERT! "The Muppets" fans need to contact ABC **NOW**!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I think somebody mentioned the possibility of a second season only having a small amount of episodes. I would be okay if we only got short seasons of the show. It'd be better than cancelling it. In fact, most seasons of The Rules of Engagement began in mid-season, and that ended up lasting a good while.

If the show does get canceled, I wonder if characters like Gloria Estefan, Chip, and Yolanda will continue to be major characters.

ConstantineFan

Reaction score
I think somebody mentioned the possibility of a second season only having a small amount of episodes. I would be okay if we only got short seasons of the show. It'd be better than cancelling it. In fact, most seasons of The Rules of Engagement began in mid-season, and that ended up lasting a good while.

If the show does get canceled, I wonder if characters like Gloria Estefan, Chip, and Yolanda will continue to be major characters.
If the show gets canceled, They will be thrown in the Muppet dungeon to gather dust until Disney's next Muppet production.

Drtooth

Reaction score
If it does get cancelled Disney would be smart to use them for weekly (or bi-weekly...anything regular) viral videos. Those always seem to do good, and if viewers can't even bother to watch them for a half hour, maybe they'll sit through them for 4 or 5 minutes when they pop up as a Facebook or Tumblr post.

That's a low bar, but hey it's something. I'd rather the show continue on-line, Arrested Development/Community/Mindy Project style, if that's a remote possibility.

If the very least the message could be sent out that people love the Muppets, just not in that format, at least there's a partial victory there.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I wonder if reruns will continue to air throughout the end of the television season, even if it doesn't get renewed.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
If the finale can get a 1.0 or above than I wouldn't say it's certain to be canceled considering it will be against The Voice and Disney synergy helps.

goldenstate5

Reaction score
I mean again, this could go either way. It's Disney synergy, so you never know, it's possible the finale grows in big numbers leading ABC to renew it. Still not looking good, ABC repeated episodes so much, advertised the reboot a lot, and what happened, a new low, not promising, but maybe they'll renew it just to save face, it was supposed to be a big hit. Though I doubt feeback helps too much, we have to do whatever we can. After the Galavant renewal, I really don't know.
The Galavant renewal is the thing that will forever make me question anything ABC does. Hearing news of the renewal made me actually go online and read the official PR because initially I thought it was a hoax. Even the producers of that show were taken off-guard.

Disney has a lot in stake about the Muppets doing well, so I wouldn't be surprised if it nabbed a short 13 (or even 10) ep order as a midseason replacement. Could be the death knell of the franchise if they can it, so I think the priority is there to give it at least one more shot. Heck, Galavant itself may be sacrificed to allocate the funds for it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The Galavant renewal is the thing that will forever make me question anything ABC does. Hearing news of the renewal made me actually go online and read the official PR because initially I thought it was a hoax. Even the producers of that show were taken off-guard.
Don't understand why a fresh and funny musical comedy that tears fairy tale tropes a new one in way that does more justice than the Shrek franchise doesn't get the same audience as an overrated, maudlin, insipid, crossover fanfic. But it does, apparently. :shifty:

The showrunners of Galavant could have ended the show easily at the end of the first season, and they threw a huge eleventh hour monkeywrench in the works, hoping the show would have enough of a cult audience to get a mercy second season. Glad it did, and glad they know a third renewal would be miraculous. The show's basically there to benchwarm the timeslot while Once Upon a Time is on seasonal break. I'd rather see something like that than another hidden camera "reality show" like "What would You Do?" Which is totally what they'd put in the slot.

Still... the appeal of Disney characters (and yes, they're the Disney versions of the fairy tale characters) being plopped into a crappy tween fan fic of a show eludes me. Playing it so straightfaced makes it rediculous. It's not a fun show, it doesn't know how to have fun. It knows only how to appeal to those who read Divergent and Shadowhunters type crap. And it excels at that.

goldenstate5

Reaction score
I don't watch Once Upon a Time but it's hard to believe they actually do some of the things they do. It seems like one of the most self-indulgent shows ever made.

As for Galavant, I have a love/hate relationship with it. Never has a show stumbled more between trying too hard and being geniunely, enjoyably silly. The actors give it 110% which makes the show work in the long run (Timothy especially so, he wasn't the star of S2 for nothing) and the songs have that authentic Menken spirit. I'm not a prude, but the show is often worse when it wallows in crude humor. That's when it crosses the line into immaturity and it doesn't represent the show well.

That said, the ratings for S1 were godawful and S2 was even worse. (they were hoping for "The Netflix Effect" but somebody at ABC forgot to put the show on Netflix!) I definitely think that Galavant may just end up, rather fittingly, falling on The Muppets' sword. There's much more capital to be possibly lost by cancelling Muppets, and would just be finanically viable to end Galavant (which did not end S2 on a major cliffhanger this time) and put that money into 13 eps of a midseason S2 of Muppets. Which obviously is probably cheaper than 10 episodes of Galavant.

Of course this means that the show will go frozen in carbonite until early 2017, so this will be it for a long time even if the show gets renewed most likely. And even in that case we won't know the fate of the show until this May. Get ready, Muppets fans, the next two months will be a long one.

Status
Not open for further replies.