RED ALERT! "The Muppets" fans need to contact ABC **NOW**!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I saw a show Desi had produced a while back called THE MOTHERS-IN-LAW, which lasted only a couple of seasons . . . it was an interesting concept, and I think it could have worked, but admittedly, it was already a formulaic show to begin with, so I can see why it didn't last too long. That, and because it had the same writers from I LOVE LUCY, it was essentially as if Fred and Ethel had a daughter who married Little Ricky and Lucy and Ethel are always meddling in their lives and annoying Ricky and Fred in the process -- that's the best way I can describe the show and it's characters (though just to throw this out, TMS guest Kaye Ballard was one of the mothers-in-law). Also, even though it came out in the 60s, when single camera laugh track sitcoms were still prelevant, THE MOTHERS-IN-LAW was a multi camera audience sitcom, so it felt out of place for that period, despite that's the filming setup that Desi pioneered for I LOVE LUCY - it just didn't catch on again until the 70s.
The Mothers In-Law is so bad. I saw a few episodes when they were on MeTV two years ago and I was astonished it even lasted one season, let alone two. Apparently there were a lot of backstage issues with the cast which led to one of the husbands getting dumped in between seasons.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yeah, I believe one of the husbands was a druggie off camera, and it lead to him being replaced by the guy who played Fred Rutherford on LEAVE IT TO BEAVER ("Ward, ol' boy!") and Mel Cooley on THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW. Like I said, really, my main problem with the show was it had a formulaic premise from the get-go, and because Desi had the same writers, it felt like watching I LOVE LUCY with different actors in all of the roles. I'll tell ya what, the one thing I found interesting about the show? All of the characters were Danzas to their actors.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Then there's the odd case of THE ODD COUPLE, which literally got canceled every year due to poor ratings during the initial run, but those ratings would pick up enough during the summer reruns that the network would renew it - and that literally happened every year the whole time it was on the air.
That's pretty amazing, would they really repeat episodes of cancelled shows, times sure have changed, the execs just won't let a show find it's footing.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well remember, back then, networks actually gave shows a chance in the beginning: they'd typically air the entire season and wait to see by the end of the season if the numbers/ratings were good enough to warrant renewing for another season. As opposed to today, where if networks feel a show isn't getting strong enough numbers, they'll go ahead and yank it off the air after like two episodes.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Okay so I thought The Muppets being renewed was a longshot when it aired it's finale, but now really ABC. Fresh off the Boat, The Real O' Neals, Once Upon a Time, Marvel's Agents of Shield, and Quantico all hit basically the same numbers give or take a tenth, and almost all those shows got renewed, and all those shows are likely going to sink below Muppet numbers, seriously ABC please just give The Muppets a renewal.

FletchySRF3088

Reaction score
It would be great if they announced a Season 2 pick-up today, so the reaction would be half wondering if it's a cruel April Fools Day joke. It would feel somewhat muppety to me that if there is a Season 2, they'd announce it today :wink:

SnakeLipsXD

Reaction score
Yeah, same. :smile: It would be really great to see the show get a second season - especially as it will give many of the minor characters a chance to gain some personality and recognition from the mainstream public.
#RenewTheMuppets!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It would be great if they announced a Season 2 pick-up today, so the reaction would be half wondering if it's a cruel April Fools Day joke. It would feel somewhat muppety to me that if there is a Season 2, they'd announce it today :wink:
I thought about that, but changed my mind.

I had a few things in mind for an April Fools Thread for the second season. In fact, long before I knew that the first season would just have 16 episodes and end before this day, I had some plans for later in the season, if not the season finale. I wanted to say that Frank Oz was going to guest star in the season finale. I also considered saying that Frank Oz was announced to direct and perform in six episodes, alternating with Eric Jacobson on select characters. On a similar note, I wanted to say that both Kevin Clash and Joey Mazzarino have joined the show as well.

But I decided not to make that among my April Fools threads for this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.