Questions about anything

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
So my free trial for YouTube premium expires next month. I’m just wondering if anyone on here uses it, and if it’s worth paying for? Cause I’ll admit, I sometimes play videos on my phone for ambient noise as I multitask, but that’s pretty much all I really use the premium deal for. Are there any other benefits to it?

Any Del

Reaction score
So, I got a summons for Jury Duty. Any suggestions/tips/advice you guys want to give me?

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
The one thing I can honestly say is bring something to read with you...... trust me, you will need it.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I’ve been called for jury duty six times, served on three juries.

You show up the day you’re called. There will probably be about five hundred people there.
Depending on how busy the court is that day, you might not have to stay.
They might say numbers 1-250 stay, 251-500 go home. So it depends on your number.

If you’re part of the group that stays, they might break it down further, and 50 of you might get called into a courtroom.
Now out of your group of 50, they’ll choose twelve to be on the jury.
The plaintiff and defendant’s lawyers choose the twelve. If you’re picked, they want to make sure you have no bias to the trial. If they think you might swing the jury, they won’t pick you.
So you have to wait and see.
If they pick twelve before they get to you, then you can go.
If you are one of the twelve, you’re there for the duration of the trial.
Then the plaintiff and defendant come in, then the judge, then the trial starts.

A lot of people try to get out of jury duty, and they’ll give a lot of excuses. They have to work, they can’t afford to take time off, sometimes the judge lets them go, sometimes not.
But it’s fascinating being on a jury, and it is a big responsibility, and I encourage you to go.
Plus the county gives you a check for FIVE DOLLARS for your time. Don’t spend it all in one place.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Jury duty was just one of several different inconsistent backstories of how Felix and Oscar met on THE ODD COUPLE . . . that is, when they weren't childhood friends, or army buddies, or meeting in a bar, or meeting as kids because their fathers knew each other.

Any Del

Reaction score
I’ve been called for jury duty six times, served on three juries.

You show up the day you’re called. There will probably be about five hundred people there.
Depending on how busy the court is that day, you might not have to stay.
They might say numbers 1-250 stay, 251-500 go home. So it depends on your number.

If you’re part of the group that stays, they might break it down further, and 50 of you might get called into a courtroom.
Now out of your group of 50, they’ll choose twelve to be on the jury.
The plaintiff and defendant’s lawyers choose the twelve. If you’re picked, they want to make sure you have no bias to the trial. If they think you might swing the jury, they won’t pick you.
So you have to wait and see.
If they pick twelve before they get to you, then you can go.
If you are one of the twelve, you’re there for the duration of the trial.
Then the plaintiff and defendant come in, then the judge, then the trial starts.

A lot of people try to get out of jury duty, and they’ll give a lot of excuses. They have to work, they can’t afford to take time off, sometimes the judge lets them go, sometimes not.
But it’s fascinating being on a jury, and it is a big responsibility, and I encourage you to go.
Plus the county gives you a check for FIVE DOLLARS for your time. Don’t spend it all in one place.
I DO plan on going but they gave it to me at the wrong time. I'm taking classes so I won't have time to go. Over the summer hopefully I'll go to Jury Duty.

Only issue is I might be biased depending on a case. Let's say if there was a case where a man was falsely accused for sexual assault and the evidence that's being presented isn't all that reliable and I object.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Two things. The jury can’t deliver a verdict unless it’s unanimous. At higher courts the rules are different. In Appellate Court the verdict is by majority.

If you don’t serve this time, you’ll be called again in the next three years. If you’re in school, the judge will probably let you go.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I know a lot of people think of jury duty as an inconvenience. Giving up a day of work to go somewhere you really don’t want to be.

I think of it as my civic duty, like voting and paying taxes.
And if I was on trial, I wouldn’t want jurors with an attitude of “Aw, let’s just find this guy guilty so we can get out of here”.

One jury I was on, the trial was over in an hour. Another dragged on for three days. But if it makes the difference between someone going to jail or not, you can’t rush justice for the sake of convenience.