Questions about anything

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
The Little Rascals movie didn’t really work. Universal really didn’t know what to do with them.
What made the original shorts work, Hal Roach was a small independent studio that specialized in two reel (later one reel) shorts. He had the advantage of MGM being their distributor. He had a series of directors (Bob McGowan, Gus Meins, Gordon Douglas) who knew how to get the best out of the kids.
Even 90 years later, these films hold up quite well, barring a few racially sensitive moments.
Universal took a property that was dormant for fifty years, and threw it at the wall to see what would stick.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I've never seen any of the original Little Rascals films, so I don't know just how true to the source material the 90s movie may have been . . . but, since it was one of the movies from my childhood, there's really no problems that I can see with it, but it's definitely a product of its time (especially with all of those celebrity cameos like Trump, Whoopi Goldberg, Reba McIntyre, Raven-Symone, Mel Brooks, Daryl Hannah, the Olsen twins, among others). Some of those kids even went on to have some rather interesting careers . . . the kids who played Uh-Huh and Waldo later voiced Gus and Menlo on RECESS.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I grew up with The Little Rascals (originally called “Our Gang Comedies”). They were originally theatrical shorts, and very popular. In 1938, Hal Roach sold his studio and the rights to Our Gang to MGM. MGM put out 50 new shorts between 1938-44, and they sucked (sucked is actually too kind a word).
In 1955 they were repackaged for television as The Little Rascals. Over time they were heavily edited as racial tensions heated up in the 60’s. Some shorts were considered lost, others ravaged by time.

In 1994 96 shorts were remastered, uncut, original title cards restored, and each of the 24 volumes were hosted by Leonard Maltin.
The Rascals shorts have changed hands so many times over the decades. I believe Hallmark owns them now.

The kids were popular at the time, but when they outgrew the series (imagine retiring before your tenth birthday) many vanished into obscurity.
A few succeeded later in life- Spanky, Dickie Moore, Darla Hood, Scotty Beckett, Tommy Bond, and some MASH director named Jackie Cooper.

But so many others died tragically. Nobody wants a washed-up former child actor.

Of all the kids, only two are still alive. Sidney Kibrick (“The Woim “) is 92, and Robert Blake (who starred in tv’s “Barretta “ in the 70s) is in jail for murder.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
I grew up with The Little Rascals (originally called “Our Gang Comedies”). They were originally theatrical shorts, and very popular. In 1938, Hal Roach sold his studio and the rights to Our Gang to MGM. MGM put out 50 new shorts between 1938-44, and they sucked (sucked is actually too kind a word).
In 1955 they were repackaged for television as The Little Rascals. Over time they were heavily edited as racial tensions heated up in the 60’s. Some shorts were considered lost, others ravaged by time.

In 1994 96 shorts were remastered, uncut, original title cards restored, and each of the 24 volumes were hosted by Leonard Maltin.
The Rascals shorts have changed hands so many times over the decades. I believe Hallmark owns them now.

The kids were popular at the time, but when they outgrew the series (imagine retiring before your tenth birthday) many vanished into obscurity.
A few succeeded later in life- Spanky, Dickie Moore, Darla Hood, Scotty Beckett, Tommy Bond, and some MASH director named Jackie Cooper.

But so many others died tragically. Nobody wants a washed-up former child actor.

Of all the kids, only two are still alive. Sidney Kibrick (“The Woim “) is 92, and Robert Blake (who starred in tv’s “Barretta “ in the 70s) is in jail for murder.
Robert Blake is not in jail anymore.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Ah yes. He did not work well with the cast. At all. He found Alan Alda to be too much of a control freak and Gary Burghoff to be too much of a diva.
That’s too bad. But even without MASH he had quite a career. Some of his Our Gang shorts are the best in the series (my particular favorite, “Love Business”). No sooner did he leave the Rascals, he became the youngest Oscar winner for “The Champ”.

crackmaster

Reaction score
So why was it that when I was seven, I associated the 1970s SS skit where a kid imagined seeing everything in slow motion with the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog episode "Slowwww Going"? It was probably due to the music sounding slow in the skit and Sonic's voice slowing down in the episode (SAAAAAAAAAAAAAVE YOOOOOOOOOOOOU :laugh:), but I think there was something else.
I still don't think that sketch is on YouTube (and if it is, it's probably slapped with the COPPA law so I can't comment on it) but I still associate that sketch with the episode. And Sonic Labyrinth. It's gotten to the point where I actually included the sketch on my fanmade SS episode where Sonic visits.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
My screensaver on my computer isn't working anymore. Can anybody help me figure out why?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
For once I'm serious.

I've always had it set to start 30 minutes after my computer's been idle, but it never starts. I've tried changing it to 20 minutes, then to 10 minutes, still nothing . . . but, for some reason, if I set it down low to like 1 minute, then it works.

Last edited: