President Obama!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
There's now the Secretary of State position open. It seems like it will be either Bill Richardson or Hillary Clinton. I have always found Richardson an intriguing figure of the people instead of the usual brand-name politics where the politician steals the limelight from real issues and solutions. He'd be my first choice. It will be interesting to see what kind of cabinet President Obama will assemble. I hear he's thinking of some conservative names too. :attitude:

Teheheman

Reaction score
You know what would be REALLY interesting? If John McCain was somehow in Obama's cabinet. I know he has no real shot of being in there, just a thought.

Daniel

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
Last night on the 60 Minutes interview President-elect Obama said he would have some Republicans in his cabinet. I would like to see that but really doubt it as he will get pressure from the Democrat party to appoint democrats. If he does follow through though I can see McCain as possibly Secretary of Homeland Security.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I think he will probably choose a well-liked moderate Republican or two for lower-level cabinet positions. Any cabinet position is a big deal and it shows a cross-party willingness that has been missing for a while. I think McCain of years past would be a good fit, but I'm not sure about current McCain as a viable appointment option.

One thing is for certain, if he gets Hillary there will be lengthy controversy and debate over Bill Clinton's global financial dealings. Right or wrong, that's just a can of worms this country is ill equipped to deal with at the moment.

I consider myself nonpartisan, yet would like to see a total Democrat Party "reboot". :super:

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
I read on another forum that the Drudge Report is reporting that Hillary will be Obama's Secretary of State. That confirmation hearing will be interesting.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I read on another forum that the Drudge Report is reporting that Hillary will be Obama's Secretary of State. That confirmation hearing will be interesting.
Could a deal have been struck before the convention. I just hope this presidency doesn't begin with a bunch of crummy hearings. :smirk:

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
Hillary is well liked in the senate-- her confirmation would likely not be difficult at all. Obama's vetting process is looking to be more thorough than what Congress does so if she makes it through that, it ought to be fine. But I'm not sure Bill's post-presidency dealings will make it through Obama's vetting.

Richardson is also an interesting choice.

Hopefully we'll know soon.

Yva Minstrel

Reaction score
I read about Hillary Clinton being considered as Secretary of State in the British press, but wasn't sure how much truth there was to that. How do I feel about it? I don't really know. It certainly shows that Barack Obama is willing to not burn bridges, something that I have admired about him for a very long time.

Of course, even if he tries to go beyond party lines, the potential appointee would have to be in concurrence with said appointment. Doing this, could also cause a stir in the party they are from, which IMHO might be just what the GOP needs, but they may not think so. Again hard call.

I still think that there could stand a chance of some red tape with non-partisan politics. Considering too, that there are other parties in the US - Libertarians, Independents and so on. Whatever he decides, those would have to be considered as well.

It will be interesting if he were to choose someone from those smaller parties to work with, but I think that is highly unlikely. Whatever happens, I think that it will definitely be interesting, at least from the perspective of a Political Scientist.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
I think the Clintons should have been Sec of State or ambassadors from the beginning. You need someone who could talk the leaves off radishes :wink: , though I admit it's a good skill to have as President as well.

The news media (and not just Fox) have already commented occasionally that it seems we've traded Bush's 3rd term for Clinton's 3rd term. I too find it hard to fathom that out of everyone available, Obama only seems to find Democratic Clintonites. I mean, I know the Republicans haven't been much to sneeze at lately, but surely he can find someone with some ability.

It certainly shows that Barack Obama is willing to not burn bridges, something that I have admired about him for a very long time.
Even better, he's able to cross bridges burned by someone else. Unless I'm mistaken, it was Hillary who started the attack on Obama and soured the campaign, at least on the Democratic side. She sounded frustrated that Obama was out-Clintoning her by taking the "smiling smooth talker" side of the debate.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
I think the Clintons should have been Sec of State or ambassadors from the beginning. You need someone who could talk the leaves off radishes :wink: , though I admit it's a good skill to have as President as well.

The news media (and not just Fox) have already commented occasionally that it seems we've traded Bush's 3rd term for Clinton's 3rd term. I too find it hard to fathom that out of everyone available, Obama only seems to find Democratic Clintonites. I mean, I know the Republicans haven't been much to sneeze at lately, but surely he can find someone with some ability.
I'd agree with the part about the Clinton's third-term. For somebody that ran on the theme of "CHANGE" in Washington I was hoping for something else. Only time will tell.