Pixar: Are the glory days over?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, I mean, it is kind of their one of their weaker movies. I think DreamWorks' edgier and darker ANTZ kind of overshadowed it.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Well, I mean, it is kind of their one of their weaker movies. I think DreamWorks' edgier and darker ANTZ kind of overshadowed it.
What's interesting is, when Jeffrey Katzenberg left Disney to start Dreamworks, he actually lifted a bunch of story stuff from A Bug's Life, which was in production at the same time, and even did everything in his power to make sure that Antz would come out before A Bug's Life.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Eh, not surprised when you consider that the main plotline of A Bug's Life is essentially the Aesop fable of The Ant and the Grasshopper.

Which is why I prefer the ending where the Grasshopper drove his Winnebago down to Florida for Spring Break and the Ant got stepped on.

:boo: Heh, the grasshopper drove his Winnebago to Florida.
:sleep: Ha, The ant got stepped on.
:attitude: Would you two stop that!
:boo: What did we do?
:sleep: And why are they picking on us tonight?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind, too, is that Katzenberg wanted to do darker, edgier stuff, which is one of the main reasons why he left Pixar and went on to form DreamWorks with Spielberg, and that other guy. Remember his vision of TOY STORY? Where Woody was a straight-up, sadistic @$$hole, and all the toys treated each other like crap?

What's interesting though is that it seems like each DW movie actually got tamer and more kid-friendly than the previous one. The first SHREK had language, adult jokes, and a lot of crude humor; SHARKTALE was essnetially a CGI spoof of those GODFATHER movies with sea creatures; then gradually each ensuing DW movie seemed to tone this down.

I still say that their live-action outing, MOUSEHUNT, is an underrated masterpiece.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm curious about something . . . if THE GOOD DINOSAUR apparently did so poorly and apparently people didn't like it, then why does it have a 3 out of 4 star rating?

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Anyone else excited for Pixar's next movies? They have not one, but two movies coming out next year, and neither of them are sequels!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Haven't heard a thing about either one of them, so I have no idea what either of these movies are supposed to be about. But quite frankly, I think I've just about all but given up on Pixar at this point. The novelty has been lost on me, now that CGI is no longer the ground-breaking advancement in animation that it was back in their hey days, they're no longer having to bring their A-game since they're no longer strictly in competition with a single rival studio (DreamWorks).

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Didn't know there were any movies planned after TS4. So I went to the Pixar Wiki and read up on both Onward and Soul. Soul is basically an out-of-body soul collective training center where the main character voiced by Jamie Fox is trying to get back to his own body before it gets recycled into a new-to-be born baby child. Onward sounds more intriguing to me, what with it being a fantasy creature suburbia where the two main elven characters set out to spend one last epic day with their father before he dies as inspired by Dan Scalon's real-life experiences. If I don't end up going to see them in the cinemas though, eh, it's not the end of the world. :rolleyes:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Sooooo . . . apparently Buzz Lightyear is getting his own prequel now.

And that's the actual Buzz Lightyear, not the toy.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Eh, whatever. The only big news for me from that presentation is another Ant-Man movie is happening.