Phil Robertson "Fired"

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yes, it's annoying, No, it's not a good reason to fire him. Though it seems like he's more "suspended" than fired.
Well, they said his suspension is, "Indefinite", so I guess that's a more politically correct way of saying he's been, "Expelled"... or, otherwise, "Fired".

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well, they said his suspension is, "Indefinite", so I guess that's a more politically correct way of saying he's been, "Expelled"... or, otherwise, "Fired".
That's true. In any case, I can't agree with A&E's blatant greed, or the idea that he should be punished simply for having an opinion. Americans need to understand why the right to disagree is so important. We are far too spoiled in this country.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I just think that is a sad state of affairs when a man is asked what he believes, and then is fired for saying what he believes. Everyone has to be so policaicly correct, that no one can say anything lest someone get offended. Everyone is just looking for the next big scandal to make money off of. He was asked what he believed and then fired for his answer. We don't have freedom of speech anymore, it's freedom of speech for those who can not offend.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
We don't have freedom of speech anymore, it's freedom of speech for those who can not offend.
I agree. While this doesn't technically violate the Free Speech law, it does violate the spirit of Free Speech.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I happen to be reading Atlas Shrugged right now. I'm viewing it as a window into Rand's political ideals, and...well, I won't get into that. I will mention that while she was rabidly against "entitlements" she accepted Social Security checks.
How is Atlas Shrugged? My roommate read it senior year of college and it looked like the longest book ever written. It had to have been like 1200 pages long.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I hate to admit it, but I recall years ago, when that Miss America, or Miss USA, or Miss Universe, or Miss Who the Elmo Cares contendor caused a firestorm when Perez Hilton was one of the judges (I'm sorry, but why was a disrespected gay blogger judging a beauty pageant in the first place?) unfairly asked her what her stance on gay marriage was (what does that even have to do with being Miss Whatever in the first place?), and she voiced her opinion that she feels a marriage is a union between a man and a woman, no offense to anyone who thinks otherwise... well, after that, I recall on one of those gossipy-news shows having a political commentator on as a guest, asking for his opinion on the controversy, and he said something along the lines of, "You say anything like that these days, the Gay Mafia comes after you!"

Now again, I don't really like to admit it, but I kind of agree with him, and it's not just this supposed, "Gay Mafia", really, it's any group out there... you're right, we're a pretty spoiled country, but I think too, for some reason, a lot of people just sit around, and look for something to get offended over, just for attention.

I actually did something of a satirical post about that on Scarblog a while back, pretending to take offense to a McDonald's commercial where someone says, "I hate puppets!"
http://josephscarbrough.blogspot.com/2013/09/this-commercial-is-un-pc-im-offended.html

EDIT: Ziffeled twice; I was posting in response to heralde.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
This is the official Roberson statement about the issue:

We want to thank all of you for your prayers and support. The family has spent much time in prayer since learning of A&E's decision. We want you to know that first and foremost we are a family rooted in our faith in God and our belief that the Bible is His word. While some of Phil’s unfiltered comments to the reporter were coarse, his beliefs are grounded in the teachings of the Bible. Phil is a Godly man who follows what the Bible says are the greatest commandments: “Love the Lord your God with all your heart” and “Love your neighbor as yourself.” Phil would never incite or encourage hate.We are disappointed that Phil has been placed on hiatus for expressing his faith, which is his constitutionally protected right.We have had a successful working relationship with A&E but, as a family, we cannot imagine the show going forward without our patriarch at the helm. We are in discussions with A&E to see what that means for the future of Duck Dynasty. Again, thank you for your continued support of our family.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Phil is a Godly man who follows what the Bible says are the greatest commandments: “Love the Lord your God with all your heart” and “Love your neighbor as yourself.” Phil would never incite or encourage hate.
Good for them; I'm glad they cited the Gospels. I wouldn't blame them if they parted with A&E. And again, I don't see A&E as supporting gay rights or tolerance. A&E is a trashy network that specializes in reality shows that degrade and humiliate people, because that's what makes money. They are simply looking out for their bottom line.

In the 1960's, TV networks were afraid of offending the South. Nowadays they're afraid of violating political correctness. In both cases, what they were really afraid of was losing money. It was wrong in the '60s, it's wrong now.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
A&E is a trashy network that specializes in reality shows that degrade and humiliate people, because that's what makes money.
Remember when A&E used to be an informative and educational channel, with programs like BIOGRAPHY?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Remember when A&E used to be an informative and educational channel, with programs like BIOGRAPHY?
Indeed. What is the victory here? If Duck Dynasty is cancelled, A&E will just come up with some other show making fun of people. Nothing good has been accomplished here.