Phil Robertson "Fired"

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I will say that his comments about black people (those just surfaced) were uncalled for and bigoted for sure.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I will say that his comments about black people (those just surfaced) were uncalled for and bigoted for sure.
It wouldn't call what he said bigoted exactly. Old School conservative, yes. Welfare is a broken system. We do need to admit that at some point. I don't agree about his ranting about entitlements, but again, that doesn't make him bigoted. Just conservative.

And he's probably right that the African Americans he personally knew as individuals weren't going around saying they hated white people. Not every African American was angry 24/7. Of course that didn't mean Jim Crowe laws were a good thing.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
All I'm trying to say is we can't judge people purely by the things they say. Their actions in life are also important.

Drtooth

Reaction score
But onto this particular point of the Tooth's... I think I actually saw a meme on Facebook within the last couple of weeks ago, talking about how, one shoe-bomber attempt, and now, everybody has to take their shoes off while going through security at the airport, but shootings at schools, movie theaters, and other public places are still happening, even post-Sandy Hook, and we still can't get gun control?
The NRA is a heck of a lobby. They speak not for the gun owners, but for the gun manufacturers who care only to sell their product and could care less what one does with them. There's common sense regulation that even gun owners want (i.e. helping responsible people keep their guns rather than take them all away)... but since the government's in their slimy pockets, we just sit back and watch history repeat itself.

If it looks like a bigot, and quacks like a bigot...
Seriously... we're surprised some elderly backwoods white guy that looks like a mountain man has elderly backwoods white guy that looks like a mountain man values. I'm even less shocked about his rant about African Americans. And seriously... they should put this on the show, rather than fire him. Like I said before, this show is a reality series... i.e point and laugh at the people we're glad we aren't.

It wouldn't call what he said bigoted exactly. Old School conservative, yes. Welfare is a broken system. We do need to admit that at some point. I don't agree about his ranting about entitlements, but again, that doesn't make him bigoted. Just conservative.
Welfare is a broken system and there's something to be done about "entitlements" (which probably cost more to pay to an advertising firm to call them "entitlements" -I forget the name of the exact D-bag that does this- than actually paying for them). Meanwhile, the biggest welfare queens are the oil industry, GE, and various other big companies that can take care of themselves if only it didn't mean the CEO's would have to part with just a little of their profits to run their own companies. Guess which one the government wants to do away with?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I'm even less shocked about his rant about African Americans.
In his "rant" he basically said he was like them back then, because he was (his words) "white trash." It doesn't sound like he considered himself better than them.

Meanwhile, the biggest welfare queens are the oil industry, GE, and various other big companies that can take care of themselves if only it didn't mean the CEO's would have to part with just a little of their profits to run their own companies. Guess which one the government wants to do away with?
Can't argue with that. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Wait a second. Whining about entitlements...

Oh great. He's one of those conservatives.

The kind that get all Christ-y about sex and homosexuals, but drop the good book like a hot rock for Social Darwinism because he makes money. Sure, they're family is one of the success stories of actually pulling themselves by the bootstraps and doing something to make money, so I would give some respect there... but still... Oh the Gays and Straights that don't marry are horrible people, but I'm not freaking gonna help no poor people. :confused:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Wait a second. Whining about entitlements...

Oh great. He's one of those conservatives.
Yes, it's annoying, No, it's not a good reason to fire him. Though it seems like he's more "suspended" than fired.

Drtooth

Reaction score
He should not have been fired for that, though... Usually, that doesn't get you fired... that gets you an instant spot on Fox Business.

Huh...I guess I know where he's spending his suspension.

Seriously... I love the fact that Social Darwinism and Christianity are completely incompatible (even Chick Tracts laments Social Darwinism) , but when money is involved, toss away half the messages that Jesus actually taught and hold onto the imaginary 1950's morality when it's convenient.

And by the way, Ayn Rand (Miss Social Darwinism) was an atheist. Way to pick and choose morality and shake your fingers at everyone else.

Slackbot

Reaction score
And by the way, Ayn Rand (Miss Social Darwinism) was an atheist. Way to pick and choose morality and shake your fingers at everyone else.
I happen to be reading Atlas Shrugged right now. I'm viewing it as a window into Rand's political ideals, and...well, I won't get into that. I will mention that while she was rabidly against "entitlements" she accepted Social Security checks.