Oz Casting News

Squigiman

Reaction score
Hey guys,
As far as Aint-It-Cool-News says here: http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=16715, the movie WILL be for TV, like the Christmas one, and they have up the main Muppet parts, and two rumored Dorothys. I could totally see the first, but the second seems to be going too kiddy/Nickelodeon-style, so I am imagining they'll pick her, unfortunately, as things seem to be going with Muppet human-role casting, lately. Just thought I'd let you guys know. Take care.

-Squigiman

The MUPPET WIZARD OF OZ.... casting! Well, the Muppet parts anyways!
Hey folks, Harry here with those fabulous guys from the MUUUUUPPPPPPPPPPPPPEEETTTTTTSSSSS!!!!! That's right, we're talking about their next flick... albeit it's heading straight to tv because, well they don't want to put the marketing money necessary to launch this as a feature.... or the extra cash to make it magic on the big screen. Seems nobody believes in the power of the Muppets these days. I tell ya, do "NIGHT OF THE LIVING MUPPETS" and have Kermit and the gang holed up in an old farm house as old puppets from yesteryear come to try and eat their stuffing! You could have Charlie McCarthy and Mortimer Snerd and Lambchops and Beany and Cecil and all sorts of vaudeville era puppets and marionettes... Kermit ends up the last one alive, he hears shots outside, he sticks his head up to see CG versions of all the muppets with guns clearing off the old puppets, they take aim... blowing a hole through Kermits head, taking the middle two fingers off of the hand inside... last shot is of the Kermit puppet being thrown on the fire. Wouldn't be a dry eye in the place. Hehehehehehe....
"This is a Muppet News Flash! Muppet Newsman here, back with more details on the upcoming ABC (yes that's ABC, not NBC) made for TV movie- "The Muppet Wizard of Oz". Since I first broke this story a few months back, there's been question as to what Muppets would be playing which roles in this reinterpretation of the classic story. Well wait no longer:

Kermit the Frog will be the Scarecrow

Fozzie Bear will be the Cowardly Lion

The Great Gonzo will be the Tin Man

Miss Piggy will be pulling double duty as both the Wicked Witch of the West and Glinda the Good Witch

In a really cool bit of casting, Pepe the Prawn will take on the role of Dorothy's dog Toto.

And the role of Dorothy will played by a yet to be cast human guest star.

One of the issues that comes up often with Muppet productions, is how well the human guests will interact with the characters. Apparently, it's very important that the humans play it straight, and not make light of their role, or the characters. Michael Caine and Tim Curry are shining examples of this principle at work, while Kermit's Swamp Years shows what can happen when it's not. Anyway, rumor has it that "The Muppet People" (impressed with her guest spot with Elmo on Sesame Street where she donned an elephant costume) may be eyeing Natalie Portman for the lead role."

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Sweet!

That'd be cool if Natalie Portman got the lead role, wouldn't it? And, of course, I'm expecting Scooter to be cast as the winged-monkey that does the Wicked Witch's every bidding.

"Poppies. Right. Send off the jitter bug. Gotcha. Can I get you some coffee with that spell, ma'am?"

MuppetVision

Reaction score
I hope Natilie Portman is Dorthy. I love her. ANd I love the muppets! Hey 2 in one deal!!!! :big_grin:

Luke

Reaction score
Jeez way to go AICN for leaking the casting details. Will Henson ever have any news that hasn't been announced yet ?

I'm impressed with the lineup myself - can't ever see Portman doing that movie though !

MuppetVision

Reaction score
Luke said:
Jeez way to go AICN for leaking the casting details. Will Henson ever have any news that hasn't been announced yet ?

I'm impressed with the lineup myself - can't ever see Portman doing that movie though !

I don't see her doing it either. But I can dream :big_grin: . I wish Rizzo was Toto. Pepe bothers me.

Luke

Reaction score
Yeah Pepe as a dog, something is up with that. Are they gonna CGI him or something or will it just look like a prawn dressed as a dog ? I thought Rowlf is made for the part.

Portman wouldn't touch this with a barge pole. Even if they have the $$ she'll want to go more adult with the Star Wars saga coming to an end. Hence her doing the Leon sequel and some other stuff. Sure she did Sesame but it's quite "in" for well known figures to do an SS appearance because the street is so ingrained in TV history. A cheap ABC TV movie is another ball game.

While the puppet casting isn't bad I dislike this project, its a step back and signals to me the desperate Henson Company who have no strategy other than to cut costs taking whatever option is open to them to get at least something on air before the company flakes out entirely and maybe get lucky. Trouble is they just don't seem to have the right creative mix of people there any more. The smart move would have been going for an edgy TMS remake series on ABC, building the profile, hyping the nostalgic element and then going for further movies where the Muppets play themselves. This is what I would have expected if Disney got hold of the Muppets - maybe this is to show them how suitable the brand is for their stable.

Mr.Penguin

Reaction score
:frown: I still think my cast was better, :stick_out_tongue: :frown: and it'd be cool to see it the-a-ters.

agger_rob

Reaction score
MuppetVision said:
I wish Rizzo was Toto. Pepe bothers me.
Pepe doesn't so much bother me, I just wish he wasn't such a primary charachter. Let him be secondary.

As for Toto, why not Rowlf? C'mon :sympathy:

rexcrk

Reaction score
I think Scooter should be the Scarecrow. Didn't they do a thing on like the Muppet Show or something (I know, it's on my Muppet Sing A Longs video) and Scooter was the scarecrow, Fozzie was the lion, and Gonzo was the tin man. And while it may be amusing to see Pepe as Toto (Pepe's cool w/ me and everything) I think Rowlf would be better to see as Toto since, well, they *are* both dogs after all. It'll be interesting to see how they incorporate other characters into the film (such as Statler and Waldorf)