Original Muppet Whatnot Workshop now off-line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chad Kermit

Reaction score
But remember that FAO itself has fallen on hard times. Other specialty stores too like Disney, Sharper Image and Tower Records have closed shop for good. San Francisco's FAO has been gone for years and that place always had customers. I am surprised that FAO would gamble with the Whatnot Workshop, but it seems to be wildly popular.
I do believe that since the new investment company bought FAO and closed all but the two flagship stores in NY and Vegas that they have focused more on specialty/creative toys instead of the typical Wal Mart selection. They went bankrupt because they were trying to compeat with Wal Mart and Target. With the Muppets and the Brian Froud plush Goblin line, for example, they are standing out from the norm. The Muppets always fit at FAO becuase of the store's historic conection to New York, the home of the Muppets. Of course, FAO is now testing a limited space set-up in Macy's across the country. You can find the Goblins (now a close-out item on the website) at some of these small departments. I doubt they will ever feature the make your own Muppets in these locations. FAO in San Fran was very cool back in the day. We had a two level one here in downtown Boston that is sadly gone as well. :grouchy:

At one point, I thought they were going to have a similar set-up at Disney Studios. Am I wrong, didn't Heather Henson help develop this product with Disney?

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
Lab Rat, you are AWESOME BROTHER! That last line was hysterical! I hope the guys at Disney and FAO see it, it'd be a great selling tool (like they need any more, but still) for the Whatnots on the website.

So yeah, I really want one, but I'm thinking I'll wait a bit for the shop to expand their hair selection like Jamie was sayin'. Didn't Build-a-Bear start out smaller than they are now? Hopefully FAO will stay with the Muppets for the long haul and Disney will approve more options.

Even a NO HAIR option would be cool, and maybe more hats & some facial hair. Hmm.

Lab Rat

Reaction score
Thanks folks i'm glad you like the vid i emailed a link to the FAO people i'll let you know if i get a response the whatnots are great but the best one to puppeteer is the orange one the worst one is the green one it has the least functional mouth

Telly

Reaction score
I thought Lab Rat's video was like a promotion video they would have set up as people walk past the display or are waiting for their Whatnot.

fishbone

Reaction score
I went to FAO last night & the store is up & running..if you live in new york or have a friend you trust enough to get you one..print & send the design & have him/her take it to the store..the official grand opening is next sat.& Steve Whitmire is sposeta' be there from what I here...I'll post pics.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Ooh, it's great to see people's Whatnots as they arrive and they get them out! Loving how creative the characters are turning out to be!

muppetperson

Reaction score
International Shipping

Fantastic.Now I have to decide what I want.Cant make up my mind.I am thinking a blue base.Would really like to create an existing actual character.Cant seem to find much pictorial reference of actual whatnots.The Lou Rawls ep had some that maybe close but it isnt a good pic.anybody here who may have worked at Hensons, got any pics that they can post here to help me make up my mind.Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.