Opinions: The end of the Muppet line

Desfiy

Reaction score
Thanks Count.

10. what is one muppet production (not in palisades contract) that you would have liked to have been included in the line?

Christmas Carol - Would Have Loved the Ghosts Marley and Marley, also The Ghost of Christmas Present.

Wizard of Oz - The Lion, The Scarecrow and The Tinman.

Luke

Reaction score
Ok bit belated but i'll have a go -

1. who are your top five favorite/ least favorite figures?

Favorite - Vaca Fozzie, Dr Phil, Checkered Gonzo, Rizzo, Uncle Deadly
Least Favorite - S1 Piggy, S2 Gonzo, Marvin Suggs, Lips, Clifford

2. were any figures better/ worse than you expected?

Purple Tux Gonzo was so much better than S2 version. Also PIS Piggy was a big improvement. As for worse - maybe Crazy Harry.

3. which mega was your favorite/ least favorite?
Favorite - Checkered Gonzo although he never made it to release as a mega, and least favorite would probably be Beaker i guess but he's cool.

4. what exclusives were your favorite/ least favorite?
The Vacation Figures were favorite. Vaudville Stalter & Waldorf least favorite - should have been done as Men In Plaid instead with cool shades and super soakers.

5. what minis are your favorite/ least favorite?
Favourite - the later ones released individually. Least favourite - the earlier ones.

6. what is your favorite/ least favorite playset?
Favorite was backstage, least favorite Swinetrek but i liked em all.

7. what give-away was your favorite/ least favorite?
Ice Penguins or Dream Date Gonzo

8. do you own every Muppets release from palisades?
No, i'm really focusing on collecting at least one of every character, maybe more.

9. do you own every package variations?
No

10. what is one muppet production (not in palisades contract) that you would have liked to have been included in the line?

Fraggle Rock - the Gobo proto looked awesome

11. wat is your favorite/ least favorite repaint?

Clifford or Marvin Suggs are least favorite. The Uncle Deadly repaints are probably favorite.

12. what are your favorite non-pack-in accessories?
Newsmans Set and Rizzo The Rats

13. what is your favorite pack-in figure?
Polly Lobster

14. who are four characters you wish we could have gotten?

Sal, Bobo, Tutu Pepe, Robotbuster Bunsen and Beaker

15. of the characters planned for 2005, which one are you most upset over not getting?

Sal

16. of the officially unannounced-for-release figures, which one do you wish we could have gotten?

Sal

17. if you could change one thing about the line, what would it be?

That we would have gotten Sal

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi... Actually, MCC was included as part of the Muppet properties Palisades Toys had under their license, as it was expanded in Summer 2003 to cover TMS, MT, and all six theatrically released Muppet movies. Muppet Christmas Carol was represented via Wave 2 Sets 3 and 4 of the Mini Muppets PVC figurines. The first had the Ice-Skating Penguins, Bob Crachit and Tiny Tim, and the Ghost of Jacob Marley; whereas the other set had the Ghost of Robert Marley, Fozziwig, and The Ghost of Christmas Present.

Regarding MWoO, it's funny... There were plans for a potential second configuration of what would have been the figures comprising Series 10 to be based on Muppets Wizard of Oz. Ken Lilly showed the prototype pictures at his Creatus Maximus site's forum (a word of warning as they're much more adult there than we are here). You can learn a lot more about all of this by visiting Muppet Wiki and searching for Palisades Toys or by asking fellow forum member matleo or others who have a working knowledge of the history of the figure line.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
A totally biased review

Opinions: The end of the Muppet line

Faves: Gonzo S5, Beauregard, Uncle Deadly, Johnny Fiama, Dr. Teeth.
Least: Piggy S1, Gonzo S2, Frogscout Robin. Tux Rowlf, Tux Fozzie.
Better: S5+ Gonzos (really shined and never dulled in quality)
Worse: Tux Fozzie (I worked so hard on him. China couldn't replicate it.)
Fave: Mega Gonzo
Least: Mega Beaker (Bart Simpson hair)
Fave: Sweetums
Least: Vacation Fozzies (zzzzzz)
Fave: Thog (fan fave)
Least: MCC Minis (seemed odd, less inspired and incomplete)
Fave: Backstage set (a must have)
Least: Swedish Kitchen (beautiful, but not very Muppety)
Fave: Black Jacket Rizzo
Least: Invisible Beaker
I think so (except packaging or Grover who doesn't count for TMS)
I "Play with it" as instructed, so no.
Henson Hour
11. what is your favorite/ least favorite repaint?
Fave: Dr. Teeth (exclusive)
Least: Vacation Pepe (blue)
Fave: Rowlf's piano
Least: Kermit's mug (cheap, uninspired and not a teacup)
13. what is your favorite pack-in figure?
Polly Lobster (looks the best)
Camilla (because she didn't look right)
Sal, Bobo, Mildred (longshot), Seymour
15. of the characters planned for 2005, which one are you most upset over not getting?
Sal
16. of the officially unannounced-for-release figures, which one do you wish we could have gotten?
Seymour
Less accessories. They weighed down the expense of the units, clutter my apartment and most are virtually useless to me. I never like you, accessories! Thanks for nothing! He he. Kidding a little, but I honestly think they contributed to ending the line. Fans want Kermit, not what Kermit comes with and it appears that his pupil shape became secondary to some needless chunk of plastic that came with him that now is lost or resides in a box.

I have to admit to working on S5+ Gonzos, Tux Fozzie, Johnny, Uncle Deadly, Sweetums, Pops, Suggs, Lips among many others. This does cause a bias, but that's been stated.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
frogboy4 said:
I have to admit to working on S5+ Gonzos, Tux Fozzie, Johnny, Uncle Deadly, Sweetums, Pops, Suggs, Lips among many others. This does cause a bias, but that's been stated.
Well then, I have to admit to loving each and every one of those figures. Johnny, Deadly, Sweetums, Pops, and Gonzo were some of the closest sculpts of the entire line. I had no idea you worked on them Jamie! No wonder you've got such a high, well thought out opinion of the MR replicas! :big_grin: :wink:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Yep... Twas Jamie who helped Ken turn the S2 Daredevil Gonzo into the much better S5 standard Gonzo figure. Imagine all those other Gonzos later in the line being sculpted based solely on the Daredevil version. It's not a bad first figure, but the signature version in his purple tux is much more iconic and fits in better with the group of core Muppets. Unless you've got the Modern or Checkered Jacket Gonzo with the rest hanging in your Backstage playset.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Now I'm inspired to fill out this survey again...

Favorites: S5 Gonzo (First figure, all time favorite), S8 Sam Eagle, S2 Fozzie Bear, Uncle Deadly, Clifford.
Least Favorite: S2 Animal, S1 Miss Piggy.
Better: Uncle Deadly, Sweetums, Rainbow Connection Kermit.
Worse: Tux Fozzie, Dr. Phil van Neuter, Movie Usher Scooter.
Fave: Mega Gonzo!
Least: Mega Beaker... I never really liked the Beaker sculpt all that much.
Fave: Invisible Spray Fozzie, Uncle Deadly, Sweetums, Glamour Miss Piggy, Tux Gonzo, Santa Chef, MTI Gonzo and Rizzo, PENGUINS!
Least: Wizard World Animal.
Fave: Mahna Mahna and Snowths
Least: Gonzo on baloons.
Fave: Backstage (INCREDIBLE)
Least: Muppet Labs (Too small, not enough to do with it...)
Fave: Black Jacket Rizzo I suppose, I don't really have any give-aways, but from what I've seen Rizzo looks great.
Least: *shrug*
Well... except give-aways and repaints I guess.
Nah, missing Wizard World Dr. Teeth, Red Zoot, Silver and White Lips.
FRAGGLE ROOOOOOOOOOOOCK!
11. what is your favorite/ least favorite repaint?
Fave: Hmmm... I really like Blue Floyd, and Brown Lips is great too.
Least: Silver Lips, from what I've seen it's rather bleh... along with Silver Marvin Suggs.
Fave: Rowlf's piano, various guitars, directors chair, rubber duckie.
Least: Kermit's mug, S1 Piggy's accessories, Dr. Phil van Neuter accessories.
13. what is your favorite/least favorite pack-in figure?
Favorite: Polly, Camilla, Lobester Banditos
Least: Do I have to have one...? :stick_out_tongue:
Sal, Bean, Bobo, and Standing Robin
Sal
Hmmm... Benjamina Gunn, Squire Trelawney... Bean.
More of it. That's really my only complaint.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Well then, I have to admit to loving each and every one of those figures. Johnny, Deadly, Sweetums, Pops, and Gonzo were some of the closest sculpts of the entire line. I had no idea you worked on them Jamie! No wonder you've got such a high, well thought out opinion of the MR replicas! :big_grin: :wink:
Awww, well thanks. I spent a lot of time sifting through Muppet media and imagery to piece together some of the character representations along with the Palisades team. I reget that Nekkid Rowlf and Steppin' Out Fozzie turned out so poorly. I don't know why Usher Scooter is so shiny-looking, but I do favor that particular head sculpt over the others. The truth is probably somewhere between the two.

Anyway, I really want Master Replicas' Gonzo to be like Terry's prototype and blow Palisades' beautiful "new standard" Gonzo out of the water. I think it can be achieved. I hope they did it.

To be forthcoming, a more complete list of credited and non credited figure work: Usher Scooter, Standard Scooter (small eye tweak), Classic Rowlf, Sweetums, Van Neuter, Polly Lobster, Steppin' Out Fozzie, Uncle Deadly, Suggs , Pops, Lips, Exclusive Animals (mainly the leg joints), Johnny Fiama (head, records and photos), Gonzo 5+ (Black Gonzo, Bernice, records and box photo), Scout Leader Kermit, Super Beaker, Jim Henson Muppet, Classic Sam (and Ghost Sam's box photo), unreleased Pepe work along with discarded Steppin' Out Statler and Waldorf promotional designs. I think that's all. There were some suggested tweaks here and there (some with the minis) along with some things I pitched like Bellhop Rat designs, different (better-looking) Piggy incarnations and even Nigel and George the Janitor at one point. Much of this source art is untortunately misplaced while other bits can be seen on the http://creatusmaximus.com gray matters archive. I had a hand in much of the initial site design for that too. So, some of the work was rather good, others terribly disappointing! :eek:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
As far as I'm concerned, it's okay to be bias.:halo:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
To be forthcoming, a more complete list of credited and non credited figure work: Usher Scooter, Standard Scooter (small eye tweak), Classic Rowlf, Sweetums, Van Neuter, Polly Lobster, Steppin' Out Fozzie, Uncle Deadly, Suggs , Pops, Lips, Exclusive Animals (mainly the leg joints), Johnny Fiama (head, records and photos), Gonzo 5+ (Black Gonzo, Bernice, records and box photo), Scout Leader Kermit, Super Beaker, Jim Henson Muppet, Classic Sam (and Ghost Sam's box photo), unreleased Pepe work along with discarded Steppin' Out Statler and Waldorf promotional designs. I think that's all. There were some suggested tweaks here and there (some with the minis) along with some things I pitched like Bellhop Rat designs, different (better-looking) Piggy incarnations and even Nigel and George the Janitor at one point. Much of this source art is untortunately misplaced while other bits can be seen on the http://creatusmaximus.com gray matters archive. I had a hand in much of the initial site design for that too. So, some of the work was rather good, others terribly disappointing! :eek:
That's really interesting. I didn't know about some of those. Are you referring to the Muppet Show Nigel or Muppets Tonight Nigel? I know that the first one was planned to be released in a wave of minis at one point. As for the unreleased Pepe designs, was that Pepe in one of his Muppets Tonight outfits, or in his tutu, or something else?