Old Nickelodeon

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
i have no idea how true this is, but I heard that some people think he left nick because of the inclusion of lgbt elements in their shows.

i actually went and looked at the clip where he told tara that she caused the previous voice of timmy's suicide and like...even though he presented it as a joke, she looked like she wanted to crawl into a hole right there. Honestly all his interview videos just...no one seems like they want to be there. the one with jerry trainor seemed especially tense and awkward.
Yeah, I got that vibe too. Super awkward.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I've kinda been wanting to know a bit more about the early history of Nick News. I looked at the wikipedia page but couldn't find the info I'm looking for (I also saw that the show was produced by Lucky Duck Productions, saw there's an official website but since business closed there's just a page saying so, with no older pages).

From what I recall, Nick News began airing as a series of specials. I recall one, which I assumed was the first, during the 1992-1993 television season (I remember it having a very brief clip of Kermit the Frog, in news attire; I think that part was also in the commercials). Then I saw another special, titled "We Are the Weird". I most remember it opening with a montage of clips from television shows, such as Family Matters, Dinosaurs (the episode "I Never Ate for My Father" - it was the scene with Robbie talking about his family being carnivores), and The Cosby Show, among others.

I recently found a YouTube video of commercials during Nickelodeon programming in 1991, which included a promo for a special with Nick News host Linda Elerbee titled "The Day the Earth Threw Up", the promo refers to it as a "Nickelodeon Special Edition", and I took from the commercial that she hosted other "Nickelodeon Special Editions" before Nick News started, but I can't find the info I'm looking for (not on the Linda Elerbee page at Wikipedia, not - as I said before - on the Nick News page, nowhere).

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
so butch put out an apology over the confusion regarding his oaxis thing. I guess he seems sincere enough but...hmmm...he doesnt really address any other concerns about what people were saying, like the suicide thing or him saying you cant criticize him

I dunno. I'm still pretty neutral on the guy. he has said some pretty scummy things but i get the feeling hes an old man trying too hard to be 'hip and cool with the kids'

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I have seen some of Butch's interviews and some do come off a bit sketchy.... I will say that.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Remember Debbie's freaky dream from one episode of The Wild Thornberrys when they were in the Outback? I love how out-of-context the official YT clip is shown, where in the episode Eliza got some Aborigines to help her give Debbie amnesia so she could forget about accidentally hearing Eliza talk to animals (which neither she nor anyone else is supposed to disclose).

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Remember Debbie's freaky dream from one episode of The Wild Thornberrys when they were in the Outback? I love how out-of-context the official YT clip is shown, where in the episode Eliza got some Aborigines to help her give Debbie amnesia so she could forget about accidentally hearing Eliza talk to animals (which neither she nor anyone else is supposed to disclose).

I must've tried hard to block this one out.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Tonight I started wondering, out of all the old-school Nickelodeon shows of the 1990s, how many of them actually had a big adult fanbase, whether the creators or whoever wanted to appeal to adults as much as kids (would containing a lot of jokes that go over kids heads be enough to determine that they wanted adults to be fans as well?). And I mean shows that had a sizeable adult fan base when they were originally in production, not old shows that currently have an adult fan base consisting of nostalgic adults who were fans of the shows when they were kids.

It seems most of the Nicktoons had this effect. Shows like Rugrats, Ren and Stimpy, and Rocko's Modern Life were just as popular (or maybe more so) with adults. I think The Angry Beavers and Hey Arnold had plenty of adult fans as well. I kinda feel like Doug didn't, but I could be wrong.

I can't really think of many live-action shows that had the adult fan bases. I think Pete and Pete was the main exception, maybe also All That and Kenan and Kel. But was there a big adult fan base for shows like Double Dare, You Can't Do That on Television, Salute Your Shorts, Welcome Freshmen, and others?