Official: "The Muppets Mayhem" Disney+ series premieres Wednesday, May 10, 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
This definitely looks promising and you can tell the effort is really there (as opposed to something like Muppets Now). I'm honestly happy there's no Kermit because I'm still having trouble with Vogel's performance but I'm hoping there will be more muppets included than just the band. Maybe they can have Scooter appear as the band manager in one episode or Bobo as a security guard. Still, this looks good overall.

MWoO

Reaction score
I'm on the fence about it. I just don't know if the EM can carry a series. A special maybe, but a series?

If this was more like The Muppets 2015 where it's the Muppet gang making the album and the EM are the focus I could be on board. Problem with having so many human cast members is that the humans tend to exaggerate their acting and stop being the "straight man".

The other thing to keep in mind is that the EM are not the same characters we knew from TMS. Many of their personality traits have softened ir changed with time. I wonder with Floyd will retain his love for conspiracy theory.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I'm on the fence about it. I just don't know if the EM can carry a series. A special maybe, but a series?

If this was more like The Muppets 2015 where it's the Muppet gang making the album and the EM are the focus I could be on board. Problem with having so many human cast members is that the humans tend to exaggerate their acting and stop being the "straight man".

The other thing to keep in mind is that the EM are not the same characters we knew from TMS. Many of their personality traits have softened ir changed with time. I wonder with Floyd will retain his love for conspiracy theory.
I definitely agree. They've toned the characters down over the years, mostly due to Disney taking away the edge of the Muppets and the new performers not having the same chemistry. The problem is, their appearances on The Muppet Show that didn't involve them performing were so far and few that there wasn't enough material to define the characters. Of the non-Animal band members, I feel only Floyd got enough time backstage for his character to develop a concrete personality.

A show or special like this in 1985 with the original performers and less humans would have been amazing. This still looks like something worth checking out but I'm not expecting some masterpiece.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I think that's the point of the new show - taking characters we only know on the surface level and seeing what's underneath.

mbmfrog

Reaction score
So many guest stars, this is going to be insane to see they pull this off. I mean I have been waiting for years to see Weird Al and the Muppets together for a performance, but I never expect it would be like this.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
These quotes are for anyone who's skeptical of this series. The first comes from the To Introduce Our Guest Star podcast and the second comes from The Great Muppet Fandom Panel.
Jarrod Fairclough: There seems to be some false narrative out there, occasionally you'll see a headline that says "Frank Oz thinks the Muppets suck now" or something like that. And you go "No, that's not what he said." And if you read through what he actually said in the article, it's just a quick quote or something taken out of context. So let's set the record straight, you don't think the Muppets suck.
Frank Oz: No. Now that was years ago, now the Muppets Studio is much better, and they're much more supportive. I talked to Billy and the guys and they had a great time doing the Dr. Teeth Mayhem thing. So I'm looking forward to seeing that.
JD Hansel: From everything that we've heard about Muppets Mayhem so far, from the people involved, it seems like the Muppets Studio actually has a lot of control over this in a way that they didn't over the ABC show. So I expect that if they are doing anything like the 2015 show in terms of how they handle the characters, it will be very much, much more in conversation with the performers, much more driven by the performers, I really think so. It seems like everybody's who's worked on the show is pleased. Is pleased that this show is maybe a return to form for the Muppets, perhaps.

Last edited:

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Even with those quotes people are gonna have differing thoughts before and after the series comes out. Can’t change everyone’s opinions in the end.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
In case there's anyone here who didn't see the New York City Comic Con panel, just wanna warn you with this quote that they changed Lips. Granted, he hasn't talked a whole lot in the 43 years he existed, so I don't think casual fans would freak out.
Tahj Mowry: My favorite character is definitely Lips. You guys are going to love Lips, he is so funny, and it was an honor to play Moog, because I know what he's saying when he's mumbling, so it's like "Oh, yeah, he's just talking about this."
Bill Barretta: Can I just say one thing? Because, Peter Linz is performing Lips, and there's a new take that I think people are gonna really love on Lips. We developed him this background, he was formerly performed by Steve Whitmire. (The audience applauds and Bill gives a thumbs up like "Yep, Steve deserves some love") But Peter has a new take on this and it's hysterical! It is hysterical, he's a mumbler. And so, the rest of the band, they understand what he's saying, and Moog, Moog understands him, but there's a lot of fun with "I'm sorry, what was that again?"

MWoO

Reaction score
It makes sense to do something different with the character considering there was almost nothing to go off of. Heck, I don't think he had much to say until The Muppets 2015 anyway. Sounds like they borrowed from the character Jowls from Muppets Tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.