Official: "The Muppets Mayhem" Disney+ series premieres Wednesday, May 10, 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
If it works, it works. Lips has never had a hook other than "the one what with the trumpet," so I'm happy they're giving him anything to make him funny.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Lips has always had the raw deal of just being known as “the extra band member who showed up at the last season of The Muppet Show.” Personally I think he’s pretty underrated.

MWoO

Reaction score
I feel like this joke is going to get really old really fast.... I hope not, but from what I've seen there doesn't appear to much this show can offer.

The Muppets work as an ensemble. You can't focus on just one part of the Muppets. The Muppet SHow, Muppet Movie, Great Muppet Caper, these all worked because each character played off each other and were given just enough screen time to be interesting and funny without being overplayed. The band was always meant to be comic relief. Having a show about just the band is like having a comedy bit with all Castello and no Abbot.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I would agree if this were a show only about, like, Scooter or Lew Zealand. The band has always been this microcosm within the larger Muppet family with their own dynamics and relationships. They're really the only ones that can go off and do their own thing like this.

And I said this before - the band may appear to be just one-joke guys, but there's just enough there that you can start scratching the surface and make them deeper. It's worth a try.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I’m pretty impressed with the intro personally, I think this looks very promising. One could argue it might give off “Muppets from Space” vibes with giving Gonzo that backstory of being an alien from outer space (which I’m kind of mixed on now personally)…. But we’ll see what this has to offer.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
In case there's anyone here who didn't see the New York City Comic Con panel, just wanna warn you with this quote that they changed Lips. Granted, he hasn't talked a whole lot in the 43 years he existed, so I don't think casual fans would freak out.
Tahj Mowry: My favorite character is definitely Lips. You guys are going to love Lips, he is so funny, and it was an honor to play Moog, because I know what he's saying when he's mumbling, so it's like "Oh, yeah, he's just talking about this."
Bill Barretta: Can I just say one thing? Because, Peter Linz is performing Lips, and there's a new take that I think people are gonna really love on Lips. We developed him this background, he was formerly performed by Steve Whitmire. (The audience applauds and Bill gives a thumbs up like "Yep, Steve deserves some love") But Peter has a new take on this and it's hysterical! It is hysterical, he's a mumbler. And so, the rest of the band, they understand what he's saying, and Moog, Moog understands him, but there's a lot of fun with "I'm sorry, what was that again?"
I'm happy for Peter but it sucks that Steve was fired just a few years before he would have gotten the opportunity to finally be in a project where Lips has a prominent role, after playing the character for 35 years with no more than a handful of lines here and there.

Status
Not open for further replies.