Official: Disney announces Muppet Babies return in 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's funny that about 10+ years ago, we were speculating that a new Muppet Babies would be CGI, and everyone complaining about it as if 2-D animation is any different.

What can I say but, I totally wanted them to do this ever since word caught on of The Muppets being canned. If Muppets are going to have to live on the merits of nostalgia and 'Member berries for a while, that's unfortunate but can be accomplished. Disney's no longer building up the brand, there's room for Muppet Babies now. Maybe even could see some success with this as most of their preschool shows manage to do well (though it's a shame about the 7D). We could see MB merchandise as close as a couple months after the premiere.

The description sounds like one I'd want to see for a Muppet Babies revival. As long as they get the writing down well, I'm all for it. I wonder who's going to be the voices of these characters. If they're going with traditional voice actors or they're actually getting the puppeteers to voice the characters they perform or what.

KremlingWhatnot

Reaction score
While I didn't watch the original Muppet Babies when I was younger (I happened to have a fear of puppets and while Muppet Babies was animated, I was afraid of everything that involved Jim Henson's works when I was younger (how times change), though managed to stop being afraid of them back in 2011. I do like watching it online and happened to now be a fan of the original show, while I'm gonna miss the 2D animation from the original, I love the new CGI animation and how they look more like puppets (with the fleece and foam and stuff), I'm hoping they're mouths will more like the muppet way, but I wouldn't mind if they did move like regular cartoon mouths.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I wonder if MB will be able to use footage from Marvel movies? That would be super awesome. :smile:

Also, with technology the way it is now, we could see a more seamless integration of the animated and live-action elements. It always was a little iffy back then, but forgivable as the producers were working on a TV budget with 1984 tech.

Drtooth

Reaction score
While I didn't watch the original Muppet Babies when I was younger (I happened to have a fear of puppets and while Muppet Babies was animated, I was afraid of everything that involved Jim Henson's works when I was younger (how times change), though managed to stop being afraid of them back in 2011. I do like watching it online and happened to now be a fan of the original show, while I'm gonna miss the 2D animation from the original, I love the new CGI animation and how they look more like puppets (with the fleece and foam and stuff), I'm hoping they're mouths will more like the muppet way, but I wouldn't mind if they did move like regular cartoon mouths.
Whatever that can be said about the Sesame Street segment Abby's Flying Fairy School, I really think they were able to get a great blend of CGI cartoon and keeping the characters puppet like enough that it wasn't too much of a difference in style. If we could get something similar to that, we should be all set.

Also, with technology the way it is now, we could see a more seamless integration of the animated and live-action elements. It always was a little iffy back then, but forgivable as the producers were working on a TV budget with 1984 tech.
Digital animation has made what Muppet Babies was innovative at extremely easy and common place. Look at Giant Realistic Flying Tiger, for example. That would have been a logistics nightmare back in the ink and paint cel days.

scooterfan360

Reaction score
True, and the article does say "Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo, Animal- AND MORE"; So maybe they're just simply listing the most popular characters and not all the characters that'll be there. So i'm sure Rowlf and Scooter will show up - at least as recurring characters. Also, I totally forgot Bunsen and Beaker were on the original show, hopefully they'll make appearances as well.

But keep in mind, most preschool shows these days don't have more than around six main characters, so I would understand if Disney decided to just keep the cast down to the most marketable Muppets.
i sure hope that scooter and rowlf are in it, I'm so glad that they are making this.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I can see why they want a smaller, limited cast and all. But come on. Baby Rowlf needs to be in this. And we can totally have Baby Scooter in there to. I needn't put up the "I'm always gonna Love You" clip from MTM, we know they pre-existed the cartoon.

I really hope there's ample opportunity to have the main characters meet toddler versions of other Muppets, even if they're one shots. Like Janice in that one episode. Just no Baby Bean Bunny. The writers really didn't get the character. And in no way should he have sounded deeper as a Baby than he does at whatever age he was.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I've never understood why they're called "Babies" when they're clearly old enough to walk around and speak coherently. Some of them are in diapers, sure, but they seem to be old enough to not need them in a little bit. I dunno. Muppet Babies loses all its logic if you think hard enough about it. Best not to dwell too hard on it. I doubt that the Muppet characters were in a year's age difference back then. I mean, Baby Kermit already had a nephew at let's just say age 3. By that logic, sure, nephew by the definition, but they'd be roughly the same age, not a 20 something-40 year something old character with a 6 year old.

Just...when it comes to Muppet Babies don't think too much about it. You don't want to go down the rabbit hole and realize how negligent Nanny is for leaving the room that many times an episode instead of watching them.

123Sunny

Reaction score
I am soooo ready!!! I love the new look of them, very puppety and I am super excited to see if Bobbi is going to be in it. Eee I am just so excited!! :smile::smile:

Is Muppet Babies meant to be canon though? The first movie is meant to show how they meant as adults, and Muppet Babies came from Miss Piggy's imaginings of what it would be like IF they had met sooner?

This is great I am soo happy!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.