Ninja Turtles

gymkatarules

Reaction score
I still have to disagree with everyone (everyone who disagrees with me, that is) about the best Turtles film. It's the second one. And it's not because it has Vanilla Ice in it, thank you. I would explain why, but I've been staring at this computer screen for too long and I think I mentioned in some other thread before. Anyway, Secret of the Ooze forever, man.

-Chris

grail

Reaction score
there is one reason that i disagree about which one is better...Casey Jones. i really like Elias Koteas in pretty much everything i can remember seeing him in (even TMNT 3), and i really liked the way he pulled the character off. i remember he was cool in the cartoon, then the movie hit, and...that mask. i badly want a copy of that mask. TMNT2 was overall a better movie, but when you compare Keno(sp?) to Casey, it just dosn't stack up...

besides, ever since "Surf Ninjas" Ernie Reyes Jr. has lost favor with me...

gymkatarules

Reaction score
Haha. Yeah, Ernie isn't the best actor ever, but is Casey Jones' character in the first one really all that interesting or even necessary? Besides, he didn't have the good lines (paraphrasing):

Keno: "Hey, ladies...how about a little ride on my motorcycle?"
Girl: "In your dreams."
Keno: "All right...but when I do, I'll dream of something a little thinner." *rides off*

Hahaha. Can't beat it.

-Chris

grail

Reaction score
okay, i give...you have a definate point there.

though Casey still had the mask working for him...and the bit with him and Raph in the park was classic.

"A Jose Conseco bat? Tell me, you didn't pay money for this?"

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
My thoughts and rebuttals:

>> I dont know about cool... www.ninjaturtles.com is far from
>> keeping things in line with the coolness. If ya go to the site,
>> the actual news stuff hasnt been updated for 5 years,

I haven't looked at it for a while but while I do remember it's badly designed, there IS alot of stuff on it, mostly in the form of semi-regular updates from Kevin Eastman. News of the John Woo deal and the new series did actually break there first (and so it should!).

They also have stuff I had never seen before like the 1st Mirage comic (which is hard to find even as a reprint sometimes) online for free and alot of info on the past stuff. There isn't tons of news because, well, there hasn't been tons to report for quite awhile. I'll agree it's probably not a fanboy's dream, but it is still a TMNT site worth checking out.

>> I still have to disagree with everyone (everyone who
>> disagrees with me, that is) about the best Turtles film. It's the
>> second one. And it's not because it has Vanilla Ice in it, thank
>> you.

I said Vanilla Ice was one of the PROBLEMS!! :stick_out_tongue:

>> i really like Elias Koteas in pretty much everything i can
>> remember seeing him in (even TMNT 3), and i really liked the
>> way he pulled the character off.

Elias is such a good actor I think he can bring anything to life. That exchange with Ralph in the park is one of my favorite scenes too.

BTW - anyone ever notice how the action in the Turtles flicks (especially the first one) resembles the action in Jackie Chan's movies? They're all produced by the same people, Golden Harvest.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
In addition to Kevin Clash, there are tons of Muppet folk throughout the TMNT movies. A few puppeteers that come to mind are:

Leif Tilden (Dinosaurs) performed Leonard's body in the 1st movie.

Rob Mills (Ludo in Labyrinth, Junior Gorg on Fraggle Rock & Robbie on the last season of "Dinosaurs") puppeteered Donatello in TMNT.

Rick Lyon (puppeteer on "Sesame" and many other Henson projects for years) puppeteered Tokka in TMNT II and puppeteered Donatello in TMNT III.

Gord Robertson (another fabulous but lesser known Muppet puppeteer) puppeteered Rohzor in TMNT II and Michelangelo in the 3rd movie.

Mak Wilson, who works on most of the creature shop's projects, was the Chief Puppeteer on the first two movies and performed Turtles in both (I can't recall which ones).

Also, few people realize one of Brian Henson's first directing gigs was as 2nd Unit Director (as well as a puppeteer) on the 1st Turtles movie.

There are lots more examples, but I can't think of them right now.

gymkatarules

Reaction score
I said the reason I like Turtles II isn't Vanilla Ice, like some people. Though he doesn't hurt, really. I mean, it didn't look quite so dumb at the time. Macy Gray in Spider Man will look a lot more out of place in ten years. Ah, never mind.

-Chris

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
*Shamless Plug Ahead*

I have every episode of the original series in good condition (194 episodes, 13 VHS tapes). Anyone interested, check out my site, email me, etc. :smile:

Sorry about that, but I had to do it. I'm a huge turtles fan also.

-Matt

beaker

Reaction score
Well, on the subject of not a lot of news to update on ninjatrutles.com...oh boy. Never in th elast five years has there been *so* much news to report! Check out the new Muppet figure cover toyfare. VERY nice 2 page special on the upcoming TMNT animated fox show and figures. I for one cant wait for that.

As for TMNT 2...here's a breakdown why TMNT is better, and why they got worse and worse til that Next Mutation straight to video movie.

*The original was filmed in the Fall of 1989, that oh so epic year.
It had JHC and creature shop ALL over it. It had the dark edgy tone of the *original* Mirage comics, not the of the time Archie comics and cartoon.

*TMNT 2, well I guess congree or the MPAA didnt like all the swearing, violence, and dark edgy mood of the first. So TMNT 2 got so dumbed down, theyre now using balogna and salami as weapons. And Vanilla Ice...c'mon, that was on par with Hulk Hogan ruining MFS.

*I wont even comment on TMNT 3. I was shocked how bad that was. If it had just stayed in modern NYC it would have been at leats a little better.

*TMNT: The Next Mutation...actually better than TMNT 3, and had a return to puppetry. Somehwere between TMNT 2 and 3 as far as coolness.

gymkatarules

Reaction score
"Combat cold cuts!" Haha! I don't know. I just think the second one isn't funny cause it's goofy, it's funny cause it's funny. Plain and simple.

I sure don't blame them for putting Vanilla Ice in it. He was hip (for a few moments), so why not? I have the Ninja Rap on my computer and it rocks.

"Go ninja go ninja go! I made another funny!"

-Chris