Ninja Turtles

beaker

Reaction score
Well, first Transformers is getting a revival...and next year TMNT(or Ninja turtles!) Ive been a fan since the late 80's...and while every single person on here remembers the big mainstream barney/power rangers esque Turtle Craze of the early 90's...only the diehard fans remain 12 years later. Suffice to say theyre gonna be back baby! In the new Toy Fare they have a great feature, on Playmate's forthcoming line, the new show, and John Woo CGI animated film.

Is there any TMNT fans on here, and anyone have any more info on this show or other turtle developments?(Yes, Gi Joe, Thundercats, and Heman are having a revival...but I was never into those being as they didnt catch my awe or sense of adventure)

grail

Reaction score
i was a BIG TMNT fan back in the day...still am, but to a lesser extent than i used to be. i'm really starting to look forward to the new toys, and the series...unfortunately though, last i heard the CGI film was scrapped...

in other revival news, check out this little G.I. Joe tidbit i got in my mail today...i put a story on Zen:

http://www.zentertainment.com/article.php?sid=4991&mode=thread&order=0

gymkatarules

Reaction score
My bed is graced with a large Ninja Turtles blanket. I love them. Ninja Turtles II (by far the best film) comes out Tuesday on DVD!!! Yes!!! Yes, I love the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

G.I. Joe action figures from about '86-90 were the best. Cartoon Network has been showing the series late at night and I've been taping it. Good stuff. They need to get the G.I. Joe complete series out on DVD.

As for Thundercats, Transformers, etc., I never cared too much.

-Chris

grail

Reaction score
Originally posted by gymkatarules
Ninja Turtles II (by far the best film) comes out Tuesday on DVD!!!
really? i thought it was next tuesday (the 3rd)...along with Turtles III!

having it out a week sooner is AWESOME! (Johnny Dangerously comes out Tuesday too)

Rufus

Reaction score
Gotta say, I think the first one is definitely the best. It goes above and beyond being a "90 minute commercial", the emotions the Turtles go through can be pretty intense (especially Raph, of course.)

The 2nd one's not bad for a live-action cartoon.

The 3rd.... ugh.

I'm very interested to see what the new toys are like. Re-hashes of the old line, or maybe something more detailed?
The movie star Turtles in the old line were great, a lot of detail, the cool rubbery feel, and long headband tails!

The Leonardo statue looks neat, but I think I'll save my money (and shelf space) for the figures, if they're good.

- R -

beaker

Reaction score
>>>Gotta say, I think the first one is definitely the best. It goes above and beyond being a "90 minute commercial", the emotions the Turtles go through can be pretty intense (especially Raph, of course.)<<<

Oh man, nothing beats the first one! The first one is my second fave film of all time. Filmed in that oh so great era known as 1989, TMNT one is one of the coolest closest to the dark edgy original comic(despite being in the midst of the archie kiddy era crap) films ever. I rank it up there with the Matrix and Blade Runner as some of the coolest genre films ever. Oh, and add to that the fact JHC Creature shop did all the animatronics and suits...well, yopu have one masterpiece of a film. TMNT 2 was ok, but points taken away for of the early 90's times Vanilla Ice cameo...and that ending with Super shredder, ugh. TMNT 3 is an abomination void of any of the greatness of the first one.
Has anyone ever seen TMNT 4 the next mutation? I actually liked this better than the horrid third one.

I am however upset over this news:
http://www.cinescape.com/0/Editorial.asp?aff_id=0&this_cat=Movies&action=page&obj_id=35778

It seems that oh so epic poop in your pants excitement of the planned John Woo CGI TMNT film(and from the pix Ive seen, looks on par with Final Fantasy style from Square studios) has been squalled by sudios. Idiots! I was really hoping to be able to have a TMNT cgi film nestled between the Matrix reloaded, The Matrix Revolutions, T3 rise of the machines, Xmen 2, and ghost in the shell 2. Bah!

>>>I'm very interested to see what the new toys are like. Re-hashes of the old line, or maybe something more detailed?
The movie star Turtles in the old line were great, a lot of detail, the cool rubbery feel, and long headband tails!<<<

While I used to collect the playmates line, oh man...with the exception of the Jim Lee Image Comics 1996 versions, and too some extent the next mutation line...the old school style is so lame. I hope they can come up with a new sculpt, while keeping it in the 4" scale(sorry, not a big fan of mcfarlane styled 6-7" figures)

So does anybody know ANY info on the upcoming TMNT cartoon next year? Will there be cgi elements? WIll it be on fox or cartoon network. I think it stinks TF armada is on cable, but oh well.

At any rate...I See a big comeback finally for th eMuppets and Ninja Turtles finally in 2003!

Traveling Matt

Reaction score
Yay Turtles!!

The new movie is supposedly going back to the early Turtles, when they were darker (like in the comics).

My favorite Turtles cartoons were the earlier ones too. It looked much more creepy then. Less bubbly, like the later years.

- Billy :cool:

wolfy

Reaction score
Oh, my goodness! The Turtles are coming back?

My youngest has just really discovered the movies (we have the tapes from WAY back...), but my oldest has enjoyed them for many years and STILL talks about them!

I have to agree, we didn't like TMNT3 very well, either. I think they were trying too hard to push for another sequel and it just didn't come off well.

Is anyone here old enough to remember the big squawk that went up when the first movie came out? People were expecting the cartoon Turtles, and they got GREAT ones instead! Parents in many cities were screaming bloody murder over the fact that these TMNT were "violent" and used weapons, and that people were hurt or worse in the movie. I don't know...when my son saw it he was about three or so, and he loved every minute of it.

I'll have to go and talk to him a bit and see what exactly his thoughts about TMNTs still are, but I know he still TALKS about them, and he's 17...must have made SOME impact on him, eh? :smile:

--wolfy--

gymkatarules

Reaction score
Sorry...yes, it is September 3rd for DVD release. For some reason, I though this Tuesday was 09.03. Hmm.

I just don't like the first film. I don't think it's very...good. Like, sure it's darkier, edgier, but it comes off as dumber, believe it or not, than the other two. It tries too hard. Raphael uttering mild obscenities under his breath and all. They go to the country house and the movie gets boring. The whole thing with the massive arcade and Shredder's minions, etc...silly.

Turtles II? Amazing. Allows itself to have fun. Doesn't concern itself with being realistic. These are, after all, teenage mutant ninja turtles. Endlessly quotable classic, classic lines sorely missed from the first one. Two words: David Warner. By far the best film. That's what I think, at least.

Okay, anyway, enough rambling from me. Turtle power!

-Chris