Nick at Nite Thread

minor muppetz

Reaction score
That is SUCH a career killing movie right there. Chevy hasn't had a single hit since lord knows when, he was the first to leave SNL for a movie career, and only a handful of those movies were any good.
I read that the real reason he left the show was because he wanted to marry his girlfriend who lived in California and she didn't want him spending half the year away from her in New York. And I read that the marriage didn't last long, either.

Teheheman

Reaction score
He's on this sitcom currently airing on network TV called Community, and he's been in the news lately for leaving obscene messages to the show's creator about how it's nothing more than a mediocre sitcom that isn't funny, and how he's been making people laugh for years on things a lot funnier than this show.

And although he's really cutting the creator a new one in these tirades, he DOES have a point... my dad and I watched a little bit of Community one night, and when they went to commercial, we both looked at each other and said, "What did we just watch?" It's not funny, and it makes no sense, Chevy Chase is one of the greats, he deserves a lot better than this.
I LOVE Community, it's great, that being said, Chevy has a great point. He was upset at first because the script got to him moments before a big speech he was supposed to give to end the season. The creator said something I won't repeat here at the cast party about his thoughts about Chevy while his wife and daughter were there. Hence, the tirade that was played on the creators voicemail. I hope they can find a way for him to keep playing that character, the show wouldn't be the same without him.

Daniel

Teheheman

Reaction score
Anyways, I have MeTV and that's a lot better than the stuff they show on Nick at Nite now(which has become anything after 1990) and TV Land(Which, after 8pm, is just original programming, which wasn't the intent of TV Land in the first place). The only gripe I have with MeTV is they edit the episodes for syndication and you can tell where they were cut. Although, it's easier for me when I watch MASH to know where they were cut and what was cut cause I saw em all 20,000 times but sometimes you can tell where they were cut on other shows too.

Daniel

Drtooth

Reaction score
I LOVE Community, it's great, that being said, Chevy has a great point. He was upset at first because the script got to him moments before a big speech he was supposed to give to end the season. The creator said something I won't repeat here at the cast party about his thoughts about Chevy while his wife and daughter were there. Hence, the tirade that was played on the creators voicemail. I hope they can find a way for him to keep playing that character, the show wouldn't be the same without him.

Daniel
I HATE the fact it's opposite Big Bang Theory. I always miss it and I never get around to watch it on Hulu. Meanwhile subpar stuff like Up All Night (which I've warmed up to) and V.R. Troopers Parks and Rec get the choice 8:30 or 9:30 slots. I will say I still like the Office, but it's time to look into ending the show. Half of everyone's left... James Spader isn't going to return (he's a great character and basically the only reason to keep tuning in lately)... and among other things it has like 20 times the episodes the original British version has... and I have NO faith in Dwight's Spinoff being anything but an expectation shattering disappointment. Meanwhile, Community's hanging on by fan favoritism and an angry cult that wants the show to be acknowledged by the network. If only it had a better time slot.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
One thing that's interesting about Nick at Nite is that back in 1995, when The Brady Bunch Movie came out, the channel had a week-long Brady Bunch marathon, featuring The Brady Bunch and most of it's follow-ups. This was the first time I'd heard of The Brady Bunch Hour, The Brady Kids, and the two made-for-TV movies. I think the promos mentioned The Brady Brides but I don't remember seeing that in the TV listings for that week (but I do remember seeing The Brady Girls Get Married listed... a mistake?). Was The Brady's included in this marathon (I don't remember knowing about that show until a few years later)? This marathon also included a special documentary (or was it a mockumentary?) on The Brady Bunch. But what I find interesting is that Nick at Nite wasn't airing this show at the time. The Brady Bunch would have regular Nick broadcasts until 1998.

Interestingly, I wasn't a fan of The Brady Bunch until I saw the movie. I occasionally saw the show before but in those cases would have rather watched almost anything else. But I actually was interested in seeing all those other Brady shows that I had just heard about... But it seems those other Brady programs only appeared after my bedtime. And on friday when I didn't have a bedtime it seems it was only the original show and the documentary I mentioned.

It seems there are many shows I wasn't a fan of until I saw them on Nick at Nite. Many shows I first heard about because of the channel, but then there are shows I knew about that I wasn't neccessarily interested in until they were on the channel (Newhart, All in the Family, even more recent shows like Everybody Hates Chris... I kinda wanted to watch it during its original run, in part because of the title, but never made an effort until I knew it was on Nick at Nite). And then there are the shows that I had wanted to see for awhile before they came to Nick at Nite... Laverne and Shirley, The Jeffersons, WKRP in Cincinnatti...

Of course there were a few shows I wasn't too fond of. I was never really interested in The Lucy Show, though I would go on to like I Love Lucy and The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour. And at first I didn't like Mork and Mindy, mainly because of one promo the channel showed, which showed a scene with a girlscout asking Mork if he wanted some cookies and he shouted "NO!" and slammed the door... At the time I usually didn't like hearing loud noises on TV or in movies (and didn't think that the whole show wouldn't be like that... interestingly I have never seen that episode). I would eventually get over this and become interested in seeing the show later, after becoming a fan of Robin Williams and especially after learning it was a spin-off from Happy Days. And I would eventually watch the show on Fox Family (and have forgotten most of the episodes I saw).

One thing I forgot about until today was "The Wonders of TV Land", a programming block on sundays showcasing shows that didn't last long. The only show I can remember off-hand as part of the block was Ferris Beuller, which i watched once or twice. This was before I even knew about the movie it was based on. I think Day by Day was another show on there (was that the show that had an episode where one of the characters dreams he's on The Brady Bunch, called "Chuck Brady"?). I also enjoyed "TV Land Boxed Set", a two-hour block consisting of different TV episodes by theme (I recall an honesty-themed "Boxed Set").

D'Snowth

Reaction score
One thing I forgot about until today was "The Wonders of TV Land", a programming block on sundays showcasing shows that didn't last long. The only show I can remember off-hand as part of the block was Ferris Beuller, which i watched once or twice. This was before I even knew about the movie it was based on. I think Day by Day was another show on there (was that the show that had an episode where one of the characters dreams he's on The Brady Bunch, called "Chuck Brady"?). I also enjoyed "TV Land Boxed Set", a two-hour block consisting of different TV episodes by theme (I recall an honesty-themed "Boxed Set").
They had a similar programming block during the summer of 2003 and 2004 called "The TV Land Kitschen" (yeah, it was really spelled that way), where they showcased "retro rarities"; it was on really REALLY late at night (like from midnight to two) on Friday and Saturday nights all throughout the summer. The Summer 2003 TV Land Kitschen was hosted by Martin Mull and Fred Willard (whom I just recently found out played talk show hosts on a fake talk show back in the 70s), and they played shows like Welcome Back Kotter, WKRP in Cincinnatti, Square Pegs, and Tabitha; the summer 2004 TV Land Kitschen had animated food hosting (like a bagel, a brainiac egg, a bowl of peanuts representing a peanut gallery, etc), and they started off by airing a variety of different Sid & Marty Krofft shows, however by the end of the summer, they just basically kept playing the same handful of H.R. Pufnstuf episodes over and over again.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm pretty much in the extreme minority here, but I always hated the Brady Bunch. Even as camp... it's just too... bleh. I love a lot of 1960's sitcoms... but Bradys... I just can't watch an episode without feeling extreme pain. Sorry to those who enjoy it, but I'm more a fan of Get Smart.

Ahhh... Get Smart.... just thinking about it makes me go all bright soft focus like an anime... I love it just that much. And Taxi. But that's 80's...

Teheheman

Reaction score
I HATE the fact it's opposite Big Bang Theory. I always miss it and I never get around to watch it on Hulu. Meanwhile subpar stuff like Up All Night (which I've warmed up to) and V.R. Troopers Parks and Rec get the choice 8:30 or 9:30 slots. I will say I still like the Office, but it's time to look into ending the show. Half of everyone's left... James Spader isn't going to return (he's a great character and basically the only reason to keep tuning in lately)... and among other things it has like 20 times the episodes the original British version has... and I have NO faith in Dwight's Spinoff being anything but an expectation shattering disappointment. Meanwhile, Community's hanging on by fan favoritism and an angry cult that wants the show to be acknowledged by the network. If only it had a better time slot.
Parks and Rec is a good show, the only thing is NBC doesn't know what to do with its good comedies. It has 12 comedies that it wants to put on one night but they only have 4 spots that they have pretty much sealed. The thing that Community has against it is that it's against Big Bang Theory AND Idol results show(Which still has good ratings for some reason). the reason that they can't kill the Office just yet is that it's one of NBC's best rated scripted sitcoms. BUT, since 30 Rock is ending after next year, maybe Community can fill its void.

Daniel

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I LOVE Community, it's great, that being said, Chevy has a great point. He was upset at first because the script got to him moments before a big speech he was supposed to give to end the season.
I'm having a little trouble following this line... From the looks of it it sounds like he was given his first script right before making a speech, but you said the speech was supposed to end the season, implying that it was when the season was about to end, which would have been after several episodes had been made.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Parks and Rec is a good show, the only thing is NBC doesn't know what to do with its good comedies. It has 12 comedies that it wants to put on one night but they only have 4 spots that they have pretty much sealed. The thing that Community has against it is that it's against Big Bang Theory AND Idol results show(Which still has good ratings for some reason). the reason that they can't kill the Office just yet is that it's one of NBC's best rated scripted sitcoms. BUT, since 30 Rock is ending after next year, maybe Community can fill its void.

Daniel
I tried very hard to like Parks and Rec. Sometimes it's funny, sometimes the characters are too insufferable. The only character I like on the show is Ron Swanson. Other than that, it just doesn't capture the lightning in a bottle that The Office caught. Plus, I sort of blame NBC's politicking for favoring that show, which was at the time close to cancellation, and kicking My Name is Earl to the curb without a decent ending. I'm sure there's more to the story, though.

The Office and Two and a Half Men both have the same problems... the shows are too popular to cancel, but they're also shells of their former selves. I have nothing but respect for Steve Carell deciding to leave the show after his contract went up. The episodes he was leaving were some of the most emotional, and best written. I'm glad his character had a happy ending. It's not that this season was bad, though threre were a couple unwatchable episodes that were just going through the motions... but then James Spader had some choice episodes.. the Halloween one where he incorporated everyone's fears into a story, the one where he has a last party at a house he has to sell... those were gems that didn't need Steve to make them funny.

But with Spader leaving, half the other cast with their feet out the door and Starscream Dwight getting his own show soon enough, it's a shame they can't ride this one into the sunset, and have it jump back onto the stage like Daffy Duck.

As for 2.5 Men... Ashton Kutcher isn't funny, and it's turned into "Untitled Ashton Kutcher Sitcom Vehicle." Shoulda just killed Charlie off last year and ended the show.