Nick at Nite Thread

Drtooth

Reaction score
Now that you mention it, it is a wonder more "childrens" channels haven't added "Adult Swim"-style late-night blocks. Though I've never been interested in Invader Zim (it began at a time when I wasn't too interested in new Nickelodeon progamming, though I still watched the channel a lot... And I think I did regularly watch new Cartoon Network programming at the time). Maybe Nick at Nite should have devoted an hour a night (maybe the 11PM time slot) to to original programming for older audiences. Most of the shows on Nick at Nite are appropriate for kids. And as I mentioned in the first post, Nick at Nite has had original television series over the years, even during the "Classic TV" years.
Because adult swim was the first, so Nick never came up with the idea before hand, and most other children's networks don't bother.

I give the digital channel qubo a LOT of credit for its Night Owl programming block. At midnight up until 5 in the morning it airs hours of He-Man, She-ra, Filmation Ghostbusters, Bravestarr, and the only non-Filmation show, Spliced. Not even adult shows, mind you (though Spliced WRONGFULLY has a TV PG rating), but shows that would attract an older, more nostalgic audience.

Now It's not that I hate Nick at Nite... but let's face it. The idea of a 24/7 kid's network never took off until recently, where we have stuff like Nicktoons. It was a great place for old sitcoms, sure.... now it's a dumping ground of current stuff that even syndication doesn't want to air anymore. Still, can someone PLEASE tell me the appeal of According to Jim? One of my syndicated channels still runs that abhorrent piece of dung. i'd assume Nick airs it too.

bandit

Reaction score
Nick at Nite is certainly not what it used to be. It's like TV's equivalent to a flea market on a Sunday afternoon. Very budget. Very broken but some sad old sap might take it in because they have nothing better to do with their dollar, or in this case 30 minutes.

Cartoon network is another one of these stations I have a love hate relationship with. I love some of their programming like Adventuretime and The Regular Show. I love many of the shows on Adult Swim and yet....I can't help but get annoyed when -CARTOON- Network airs shows that are NOT cartoons. It just doesn't make sense to me. Some of them are funny, I'll grant you but it just seems like a stupid place to air them.

Bottom line is that it seems to be working, though. So I guess there's no need to do it differently. Though....COME ON...LEVEL UP?! AGH! Who are they KIDDING!? GARBAGE!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
They each deserve Chevy Chase's "Mediocre Sitcom" tirade, none of them are funny, they're just stupid and casts exclusively has-beens.
What do you mean by "Chevy Chase Mediocre Sitcom tirade"? I don't think he's ever been on a sitcom. But I agree that it seems all original TV Land programming seems to feature former sitcom stars.

It was a great place for old sitcoms, sure.... now it's a dumping ground of current stuff that even syndication doesn't want to air anymore.
The Classic TV Companion book mentions that before Nick at Nite began, reruns of older shows was more-or-less viewed as "filler", stuff to air during local programming hours.

Drtooth said:
Still, can someone PLEASE tell me the appeal of According to Jim? One of my syndicated channels still runs that abhorrent piece of dung. i'd assume Nick airs it too.
I don't exactly know. I feel like that show's not currently on the station, and yet part of me feels that's not exactly right.

It's ironic that in the past decade, both channels have aired less and less older shows. Nick at Nite seems to have dumped anything that came before 1980 (maybe even before 1990 by now), while I think TV Land still shows some programming from the 1950s and 1960s but am not entirely sure. And yet there's a number of newer channels that specialize in classic TV programming. I'm not exactly sure if they are cable channels or if they can be viewed on regular TV. These channels include Me-TV, Antennae TV, and This Network (and there's also The Hub, which I don't get). They air such programs as Mister Ed, I Love Lucy, Petticoat Junction, Mary Tyler Moore, The Bob Newhart Show, The Monkees, Too Close for Comfort, Laurel and Hardy, Batman, and so many other retro shows.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
What do you mean by "Chevy Chase Mediocre Sitcom tirade"? I don't think he's ever been on a sitcom.
He's on this sitcom currently airing on network TV called Community, and he's been in the news lately for leaving obscene messages to the show's creator about how it's nothing more than a mediocre sitcom that isn't funny, and how he's been making people laugh for years on things a lot funnier than this show.

And although he's really cutting the creator a new one in these tirades, he DOES have a point... my dad and I watched a little bit of Community one night, and when they went to commercial, we both looked at each other and said, "What did we just watch?" It's not funny, and it makes no sense, Chevy Chase is one of the greats, he deserves a lot better than this.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
He's on this sitcom currently airing on network TV called Community, and he's been in the news lately for leaving obscene messages to the show's creator about how it's nothing more than a mediocre sitcom that isn't funny, and how he's been making people laugh for years on things a lot funnier than this show.
I wonder if The Chevy Chase Show was funnier...

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Chevy Chase has no business telling people what's funny and what isn't anymore, and I'm not a Community fan. His career rolled off a cliff because a couple franchises dried up and he wasn't a very nice person. He's lucky to have a steady sitcom job.

(All that said, he was amazing in Caddyshack.)

Hayley B

Reaction score
I miss the old shows . Use to love Mister ED, Car 54,etc. Thinking of early TVland. I miss the days when they use to show old commercials.

Nick use to stop at 8pm when I was a kid. I would want to watch these old shows. But it would click to A&E.

bandit

Reaction score
Do you remember Dobie Gillis? I think back then I was mostly in awe of the fact that Gilligan was playing someone who wasn't a complete idiot. He made a pretty cool beatnik.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I wonder what the first show was to be given its own week-long marathon when it premiered. And I can't remember what the last was, but I think it was The Munsters, which premiered on the channel during the 10th anniversary week in 1995.
I just remembered something that came to the channel later which I'm not sure whether it counts. It sort of premiered with a marathon, and sort of didn't. But in 1997, The Monkees was added to the line-up as part of Block Party Summers, on mondays as "Monkees Mondays". Interestingly, I don't remember that show being on at any other time slot on the channel. I recall hearing it would be part of Block Party Summers, without seeing it prior. And then for some reason that show left the channel before that years Block Party Summer was over, suddenly replaced by Green Acres, which had been on the channel years earlier and at the time was on the TV Land schedule.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Chevy Chase has no business telling people what's funny and what isn't anymore, and I'm not a Community fan. His career rolled off a cliff because a couple franchises dried up and he wasn't a very nice person. He's lucky to have a steady sitcom job.

(All that said, he was amazing in Caddyshack.)
That is SUCH a career killing movie right there. Chevy hasn't had a single hit since lord knows when, he was the first to leave SNL for a movie career, and only a handful of those movies were any good. The ones that were were great... but then he just became a joke. Anyone ever see his talk show on Fox? Oh right.. who am I asking? No one did. it's a very childish and stupid thing for him to say. It revitalized his career, and he's the best character on the show (aside from Chang, that is). At least he's not in one of those TVLand sitcoms that only belong there because the shows consist of cast members of old sitcoms. Those are mediocre.

It's ironic that in the past decade, both channels have aired less and less older shows. Nick at Nite seems to have dumped anything that came before 1980 (maybe even before 1990 by now), while I think TV Land still shows some programming from the 1950s and 1960s but am not entirely sure. And yet there's a number of newer channels that specialize in classic TV programming. I'm not exactly sure if they are cable channels or if they can be viewed on regular TV. These channels include Me-TV, Antennae TV, and This Network (and there's also The Hub, which I don't get). They air such programs as Mister Ed, I Love Lucy, Petticoat Junction, Mary Tyler Moore, The Bob Newhart Show, The Monkees, Too Close for Comfort, Laurel and Hardy, Batman, and so many other retro shows.
I have MeTV... I HATE our local affiliate. It runs infomercials most of the day and has the audacity to cut to infomercials at 10 every night. When I first discovered the network (that used to be RTV that didn't run half as many crapfomercials) they had Taxi on at 10:30. That's one of my top favorite classic sitcoms. Then I tuned in the next night, and I see some hasbeen celebrity musician talking about some lousy music CD collection. I was VERY angry, rest assured. But at least they have Batman and Star Trek on Saturday Nights. I miss RTV, though... just for that Wolfman Mac's Chiller Drive in thing that used to be on Saturday Nights... instead of... you guessed it... MORE Infomercials.