Nick at Nite Thread

Teheheman

Reaction score
Oh it was a script for a speech. I thought it was for the show.
No, the speech was for the show, he was mad that he didn't get the script for said speech that was supposed to close the season out.

Daniel

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The funny thing about TV Land too is that they get into these cycles where there are certain classic shows that they will wear out for an extended period of time, then they disappear for a really long time, then they're back in full force again, then disappear again, etc. Shows like Andy Griffith and Sanford and Son seem to be victims of that... I love both of those shows, but it is nice to see a little variety for a change.

Then of course, they seem to NEVER lift Gunsmoke or Bonanza from their afternoon lineups... those have been around since as long as I can remember, and I think I've been watching TV Land for about ten years or maybe longer....

AND, when they add a "new" show to their lineup, anymore, they'll have marathons for the shows, add them to the regular schedule for a while, then just completely drop them altogether shortly afterwards.... like very recently, Dick Van Dyke... now how long was that on TV Land? A month? Before that, how long was Hogan's Heroes on? A year?

Then there's other shows that seem to come and go at random, without any foresight... Green Acres has been one of those shows.

Both Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie used to be part of the regular lineup for a long time back in the early and mid-2000s, then by 2005 or so, they disappeared up until last year when they were both brought back (and even more butchered than before) for a very short time, now they're gone again.

Slightly OT, WGN America used to play an all-day Munsters marathon on Halloween, usually hosted by Alice Cooper, but last year was the first year they DIDN'T have the marathon... I was extremely disappointed, because Halloween has come to be just about the only time I see The Munsters.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Ah, Nick at Nite!!! Back when Turkey Television was big! When I got to college, I took a course in film making, and my professor, Mickey Siporin, did a number of short films for the show. He even showed me a few animation cels from the opening titles. At one point he even submitted a few shorts for Sesame Street, but I'm not clear if any ever got used.

It's really too bad when channels stray away from their original premise, and not always for the better (does MTV actually play MUSIC anymore?!) Cartoon Network was another idea that started out really strong, showing stuff you couldn't find anywhere else (anyone remember Mr. Spimm's Cartoon Theatre?), but then devolved into showing one incarnation or another of Scooby-Doo six times a day.
Such is progress.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Then of course, they seem to NEVER lift Gunsmoke or Bonanza from their afternoon lineups... those have been around since as long as I can remember, and I think I've been watching TV Land for about ten years or maybe longer....
Bonanza is ubiquitous. Inescapable. It's on like every single channel that shows old TV programs. Is it that cheap to license out? It's like EVERYWHERE there's old television programs.
It's really too bad when channels stray away from their original premise, and not always for the better (does MTV actually play MUSIC anymore?!) Cartoon Network was another idea that started out really strong, showing stuff you couldn't find anywhere else (anyone remember Mr. Spimm's Cartoon Theatre?), but then devolved into showing one incarnation or another of Scooby-Doo six times a day.
Such is progress.
Yeah... but at least they were mostly showing cartoons then. I fail to see why they keep adding live action television when EVERYONE hates it on the network. When they ran the April Fools Toonami block, the internet exploded calling for it to come back. Which begs the question, who the crap does CN think they have to please? Say what you will about Adventure Time, Regular Show and Mad... at least that's understanding there's an audience out there, and they brought the network back bigtime. Even their brilliant DC comics based line up. But why do we need movies from almost 10 years ago that you can pretty much get for a buck on amazon? They killed a successful anime block on the network so they can run Son of The Mask and See Spot Run? Movies people didn't like enough to see in theaters, buy on DVD, see on other movie channels, see in local syndication on a Sunday Afternoon, or any of the other 2 billion outlets to see crap movies? Really?

mr3urious

Reaction score
Yeah... but at least they were mostly showing cartoons then. I fail to see why they keep adding live action television when EVERYONE hates it on the network. When they ran the April Fools Toonami block, the internet exploded calling for it to come back. Which begs the question, who the crap does CN think they have to please? Say what you will about Adventure Time, Regular Show and Mad... at least that's understanding there's an audience out there, and they brought the network back bigtime. Even their brilliant DC comics based line up. But why do we need movies from almost 10 years ago that you can pretty much get for a buck on amazon? They killed a successful anime block on the network so they can run Son of The Mask and See Spot Run? Movies people didn't like enough to see in theaters, buy on DVD, see on other movie channels, see in local syndication on a Sunday Afternoon, or any of the other 2 billion outlets to see crap movies? Really?
CN is also not advertising their live-action show as much (Level Up is pretty much the only one they have now), which is great. I believe out of the big three kids networks (the other being Nick and Disney Channel), CN has it together the most.

Drtooth

Reaction score
CN is on it's feet about, I'll be generous, 70%. I hear Teen Nick has a 1990's block of programming... I think CN should consider that as well. Just a weekday throwback line up that has the old shows on at least once daily. I have absolutely no idea what they run weekday afternoons.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I hear Teen Nick has a 1990's block of programming...
Yes, but it is NOT impressive.

It's relagated to the middle of the night hours when most sane people are asleep, and they play the same small number of shows over and over and over again... granted, they DO regularly play the original All That, as well as Kenan and Kel, and they have a rotation of Nicktoons like the original Doug, Hey Arnold!, Rocko's Modern Life... but again, who wants to stay up till 2, 3, and 4:00 in the morning to watch that?

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's regagated to the middle of the night hours when most sane people are asleep, and they play the same small number of shows over and over and over again... granted, they DO regularly play the original All That, as well as Kenan and Kel, and they have a rotation of Nicktoons like the original Doug, Hey Arnold!, Rocko's Modern Life... but again, who wants to stay up till 2, 3, and 4:00 in the morning to watch that?
It's good for the late night college crowd, but for little anyone else. It's a step in the right direction, no matter how inconvenient it is. At least Nick knows well enough to sublicense everything to SHOUT possible so it's on DVD. CN, being owned by Warner Bros is deathly afraid of releasing anything on DVD that isn't a current sitcom. Not even current cartoons. They did have the entire PPG series in a single collection of super scratch prone 2 sided disks. They had 3 single season releases of other things that they didn't put any care into after Johnny Bravo, and that's was the end of that.

Not that cable-less me could enjoy a Cartoon Cartoon block, but everyone always whines that CN doesn't show stuff to their taste anymore. That's something they should look into.

But really... the response they got from April Fools Toonami. I still hear people clamoring for it to this day.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
AND, when they add a "new" show to their lineup, anymore, they'll have marathons for the shows, add them to the regular schedule for a while, then just completely drop them altogether shortly afterwards.... like very recently, Dick Van Dyke... now how long was that on TV Land? A month? Before that, how long was Hogan's Heroes on? A year?
I think it's rare for there to be big announcements of shows being taken off the channels. Though when Mister Ed left Nick at Nite they did a special goodbye marathon, Au Revoir Mister Ed, and I think another show got a similar marathon when it left the channel (I'm thinking Donna Reed).

D'Snowth said:
Slightly OT, WGN America used to play an all-day Munsters marathon on Halloween, usually hosted by Alice Cooper, but last year was the first year they DIDN'T have the marathon... I was extremely disappointed, because Halloween has come to be just about the only time I see The Munsters.
WGN used to have a sunday night line-up called Out of Sight Retro Night, which included The Munsters, Alf, WKRP, The Cosby Show, Newhart, and Barney Miller. Good stuff.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
WGN used to have a sunday night line-up called Out of Sight Retro Night, which included The Munsters, Alf, WKRP, The Cosby Show, Newhart, and Barney Miller. Good stuff.
I know, they were even playing Rocky and Bullwinkle for a short while.

I think they also, for a short time, were playing Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie weekday mornings.

And another annoying little ritual: Hallmark Channel used to be GREAT for M*A*S*H, they played it four times a day for years, and even on Patriotic holidays (Memorial Day, Labor Day, etc), they would have all-day marathons with uncut episodes and such... then here a few years ago, Martha Stewart took over the channel, and it was never to be seen again... HOWEVER, Hallmark does occasionally and randomly play weekend I Love Lucy marathons, BUT, they almost always only air the Hollywood and Europe episodes exclusively, which gets old after a while. One of my local channels used to play Lucy everyday at 12:30 for years, but then a few years ago, they suddenly switched to the black-and-white episodes of The Beverly Hillbillies, but at the beginning of this year, they switched back to Lucy, so that's how I get my fix in that department, lol.