New Video: Muppet Bohemian Rhapsody!

Zena Star

Reaction score
YOU CAN IGNORE THIS POST IF YOU WANT, ITS JUST SERIOUS OL' ME TAKING MY BEST FREINDS NEGATIVE OPINIONS A BIT TOO HARD. SORRY. I'M LIKE THAT! :embarrassed:

I feel kind of mean posting this, because I don't wanna upset my friend, (or anyone else) not like she'd ever come near MC if I paid her, but I just saw her opinions on the video on my msn group blog thing, and she could only say that it was terrible and that ol' Freddie would be rolling in his grave at how awful it was. And that really stung, because I've always respected what she likes. And I just saw Rax's post, and read the bit about how they thought it was the finest cover of the song ever - the way she badmouthed it just made me feel kinda depressed.

Anyway, rully sorry for dampening the mood, because I thought it was AWESOME! But I felt like I'd have to share. :embarrassed:

-Zena:flirt:

(YES YES YES JANICE WAS RULLY SINGING! =O)

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
YOU CAN IGNORE THIS POST IF YOU WANT, ITS JUST SERIOUS OL' ME TAKING MY BEST FREINDS NEGATIVE OPINIONS A BIT TOO HARD. SORRY. I'M LIKE THAT!

I feel kind of mean posting this, because I don't wanna upset my friend, (or anyone else) not like she'd ever come near MC if I paid her, but I just saw her opinions on the video on my msn group blog thing, and she could only say that it was terrible and that ol' Freddie would be rolling in his grave at how awful it was. And that really stung, because I've always respected what she likes. And I just saw Rax's post, and read the bit about how they thought it was the finest cover of the song ever - the way she badmouthed it just made me feel kinda depressed.

Anyway, rully sorry for dampening the mood, because I thought it was AWESOME! But I felt like I'd have to share. :embarrassed:

-Zena:flirt:

(YES YES YES JANICE WAS RULLY SINGING! =O)
There's always going to be that contrarian out there that hates much-liked things. Don't worry about it. Her opinion can't *always* be right. :wink: This obviously is one of the rare exceptions.

Covers are a tricky thing. Personally, I think this was done well with one exception. Animal's portion went on too long. It's really nit-picking here, but after a while his voice clearly sounds off and out of character. I could have done with maybe a dozen fewer MAMMAs and just let some of the background music play through. That's the one point that turns most people off and I see why. The rest...well you'd have to lose your funny bone to not enjoy this 4 minute piece of pure Muppet joy.

Teheheman

Reaction score
Yeah, the whole thing with covers is that, unless it's done almost the exact way, or the singer is exceptionally good at making it his own, you won't please the people who like the original in the first place. YET, this was done in the upmost respect, and I don't see how any artist can say that they wouldn't want their songs to be done by the Muppets or somebody else because I think that is the highest form of, not only flattery, but also means that your song is so great and has such an impact on a certain genre, that somebody wants to recreate it in their own way. I think there could BE no higher praise for an artist. Look at Weird Al Yankovic. There are artist that say that they haven't felt like they made it in the industry til Weird Al did a parody of their songs because that's how you feel like you've hit the main stream is that somebody thinks enough of your stuff that they wanna either parody it or cover it. I think Freddy won't be turning in his grave, I think he'd be laughing and clapping(if he had the muscle power to do so, and since he has no power to do either since he's DEAD, oh sorry, spoiler alert, I very much doube that he would) at this because it is a testament to how much his music and this song meant to pop culture that people are remembering it, and actually commenting on how great it was, and also using it for parody and for cover use.

Daniel

dwmckim

Reaction score
Parodies carry more a risk than straight cover versions because the artist being parodied may not initially know if they're a loving tribute or a total diss. The Muppets i think make it clear that their BR is strongly into the former category via the work itself but the fact they released it on the anniversary of Freddie Mercury's death (which i don't think anyone's mentioned yet in this thread!) speaks volumes of the respectful spirit in which it was intended.

Even if an artist doesn't care for the performance of a cover, they usually feel flattered someone chose to cover them. I'm sure, given the ability to do so, both Freddy Mercury and Jim Henson are looking at this laughing like crazy and beaming with pride.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Parodies carry more a risk than straight cover versions because the artist being parodied may not initially know if they're a loving tribute or a total diss.
That's why Weird Al gets permission for all of his song parodies... even the ones that rip the song in two. Only time he ever got into trouble was with Coolio and "Amish Paradise"... and that was only because there was some weird miscommunication between Coolio's people and Al's people. On the other hand, Michael Jackson liked Weird Al's parodies so much, he offered Al the chance to tour in Europe with him... but Al was filming UHF at the time and declined.

Which brings up the point... this would have had to have been okayed with Queen's surviving members or Queen's record label or whoever owns their music... I'm sure if any of them thought it was disrespectful, they would have said "Forget it! Do Never Gonna Give You Up instead!"

Disrespectful, again, is what happened to Elvis's "Viva Las Vegas" being in one of those drug commercials. That one not only WASN'T okayed by Elvis's survivors, they tried unsuccessfully to get it pulled off the air.

Animal's portion went on too long. It's really nit-picking here, but after a while his voice clearly sounds off and out of character. I could have done with maybe a dozen fewer MAMMAs and just let some of the background music play through.
I have to agree there... I guess it was the best they could do... I doubt that any of the Muppets could say "Mama just killed a man/ put 2 bullets in his head/ pulled the trigger/ now he's dead" and get away with it. But it really should have been a bit shorter... I did like when he went Dada or Papa when his part ended.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Haven't taken the time to go through everyone's posts yet, but I want to personally say this is the best thing I've see since Jim. This is exciting, encouraging, joyous, and simply epic. I am thrilled beyond belief with this one.