New Talk Show: Late Night Buffet

MWoO

Reaction score
Yeah to us they will be muppets. Legal terms mean nothing to us fans. Unless the Jim Henson Company goes in some crazy direction with their puppets, these too will likely look like and be muppets to us.

I have to say though that I do not see the story teller and creature shp stuff as being muppets. To me the muppets were the fraggle/sesame/muppet how like characters, even though legally they are separate licenses. But really it's the actual puppet style that makes them muppets more than anything. That and the people behind the scenes.

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
beaker said:
Are we going to say Fraggles and Sesame arent Muppets since they can't use that name anymore?
They can still use the name. Look at the Fraggle Rock DVDs (which still say "Jim Henson's Muppets") and Sesame Workshop still uses "Sesame Street Muppets" on almost everything. The Jim Henson Company (and Sesame Workshop) can't apply the term Muppet to any new creations (That's why it wasn't called "Jim Henson's Muppet Improv"), however all the old franchises (Fraggles, Sesame, Bear, Muppet Show, Emmet Otter, Dog City...) that had the Muppet title can still use the term Muppet. Disney does not exclusively own the word. However since "Muppet" is stronly associated with the Kermit and the other "Muppet Show"-family characters, Henson has been using it less and less on their new productions (even before the Disney deal).

Tim

Reaction score
Magic? Excellent? Classic? Given Henson's recent "track record" are you serious? Put Frank Oz behind the desk and you might have something, otherwise it's going to crash andf burn like everyhting else they've done lately.

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
Tim said:
Magic? Excellent? Classic? Given Henson's recent "track record" are you serious? Put Frank Oz behind the desk and you might have something, otherwise it's going to crash andf burn like everyhting else they've done lately.
puppet improve seems to be doing pretty well to me.
and maybe if the fans would shed a little more postive light in the hensons direction perhaps they would have better things.:smile:

lowercasegods

Reaction score
This is a double-edged sword for me. I've been longing to see the Henson company do some strictly adult themed material since the days of the SNL Gorch sketches. But the thing is, I don't see their show succeeding.

Crank Yankers, Greg the Bunny and Wonder Showzen have all pushed the envelope as far as it can go, and have taken it so far that shock has been supplimented for humor, effectively ruining the medium of modern adult puppetry. So where is there for Brian Henson to take it?

While I love the mildly bawdy and brash attitude of Gorch, I would hate to see Brian resorting to the shock factor material that these others I've mentioned made their reputations on. But the thing is, sadly, if he wants to make this show stand out, he's going to have to raise the bar to even higher plateaus of lowbrow humor. It seems like a contradiction, but that's what he'd have to do.

I have no problem seeing the Henson name on a project like this. Ten years ago, it would have been a brilliant idea. But now, it's going to come across as a bandwagon jumper, when the bandwagon has long since left town. Not to mention the whole puppet talk show host thing was already done by Alf, and nobody's going to accuse that show of being a smash hit.

I truly do want to see Brian's show succeed, and I hope he can do it without resorting to Jimmy Kimmel levels of "humor." It just seems like the odds are stacked against him. Hopefully he's inherited his father's gift of proving the odds wrong and making a success out of the unlikely.

Kimp the Shrimp

Reaction score
They can be funny and not be shocking

unless there is a puppet that comes on and says the "Bush hates Muppets"

cahuenga

Reaction score
Whose performers are working on that project?

JoeyMuppet

Reaction score
The same peformers who do Johnny Fiama & Sal.They're supposed to be the main peformers on the series.

Kimp the Shrimp

Reaction score
JoeyMuppet said:
The same peformers who do Johnny Fiama & Sal.They're supposed to be the main peformers on the series.

hahahahhaha

that would be great if it WAS Sal and Johnny doing the Show