New Sesame Street documentary based on "Street Gang" to premiere in April 2021

Oscarfan

Reaction score
EDIT: Yeah, I just checked local showtimes, it doesn't look like it's coming to my town theatrically, so I'll just check it out On Demand.
No theater around me even has listings that far ahead, so I don't think you can judge that just yet.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I watched the doc at Sundance- it's explained in the movie.

Basically back in the 80s they had an idea for this "Backstage at Sesame" type of special, but it was scrapped after a handful of material was filmed. Some of it is featured on the 40 Years/Old School DVDs, other new stuff includes in-depth interviews with Oscar and Ernie & Bert filmed back in the day. So this is essentially them turning that special idea into a documentary, and all that material is used for this.
Wow. It’s a shame that the interview footage with the Muppet characters were not on the 40th anniversary set or Old School Volume 3 (or 50 Years and Counting, which barely has any bonus features).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
One of the behind the scenes footage glimpsed was the Cab Calloway “I Love to Count” number that was cut from Old School Volume 3. I have a feeling that would have been a bonus feature if the segment wasn’t cut.

zns

Reaction score
No listings for theaters in PA sadly

zns

Reaction score
Just got back from a screening. My summation is this: if you're a die-hard Muppet nerd, you probably won't learn anything new. But all the footage they have alone is worth it.
That's good enough for me:smile:

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
I saw it yesterday. It wasn't playing in my area, so I had to go see it at a theater in another town an hour and a half away (but it was worth it). Overall, I loved it very much! There are a few other topics I wish they would have taken the time to cover, but I'm plenty satisfied with how it came out and I highly recommend it. I cannot tell you psyched I am for the commercial releases!! :smile:

Last edited:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
An hour and a half away? I mean, it's going to be released On Demand as well.

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
It was no big deal. I love having an excuse to visit the San Francisco Bay Area!

Last edited:

Oscarfan

Reaction score
My screening was closer to home, thankfully (the other NJ places they announced weren't showing any listings and were an hour+ away; the one I went to was like 20 minutes).

My hang up was the ticket price (it was one of those dine-in theaters, so it was a little more costly and had a reservation fee), but all in all, I think I would have regretted not seeing a Muppet thing on the big screen when the opportunity was there. So that was my rationale for seeing it in theaters v. waiting for the On Demand release. Plus, I haven't been in a movie theater in over a year and it was nice to remedy that.