New Sesame Street documentary based on "Street Gang" to premiere in April 2021

zns

Reaction score
Has anyone seen the films Sundance premiere?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I noticed a couple brief clips that the fans in general don't have access to (or at least wouldn't have when the film was in editing).

So there was behind the scenes footage shot for "I Wish I Had a Friend to Play with Me". I wonder how many more early 1980s scenes there have been with behind the scenes footage shot that have not made it to DVD.

An unknown Ernie and Bert clip, with Bert saying they're the best of friends. Though I think part of that sequence briefly pops up in the A&E Biography (a different shot, with Bert saying "Ernie!"). Muppet Wiki lists that under unknown appearances. Maybe the documentary will give us a lead.

Reactions: zns

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Love some of those behind the scenes shots! Definitely looks like a fun and promising documentary.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Wait, this is going to be a theatrical release? Hmm, in my town, this probably means since its a little indie documentary movie, it'll probably only be seen in a little art house theater - assume it gets a theatrical release in my town at all . . . but, at least it will also be available On Demand as well, so that's also an option.

And maaan, those sweeping shots of the street set tho. . . .

EDIT: Yeah, I just checked local showtimes, it doesn't look like it's coming to my town theatrically, so I'll just check it out On Demand.

Last edited:

hooperfan

Reaction score
I like the brief shot of Northern Calloway cracking up with Alaina Reed and Jon Stone, and other brief cut of Will Lee smiling while reading the script they were filming

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
OH. MY. GOD…Words cannot express how psyched am for this to come out!!

gravy

Reaction score
I noticed a couple brief clips that the fans in general don't have access to (or at least wouldn't have when the film was in editing).

So there was behind the scenes footage shot for "I Wish I Had a Friend to Play with Me". I wonder how many more early 1980s scenes there have been with behind the scenes footage shot that have not made it to DVD.

An unknown Ernie and Bert clip, with Bert saying they're the best of friends. Though I think part of that sequence briefly pops up in the A&E Biography (a different shot, with Bert saying "Ernie!"). Muppet Wiki lists that under unknown appearances. Maybe the documentary will give us a lead.
I watched the doc at Sundance- it's explained in the movie.

Basically back in the 80s they had an idea for this "Backstage at Sesame" type of special, but it was scrapped after a handful of material was filmed. Some of it is featured on the 40 Years/Old School DVDs, other new stuff includes in-depth interviews with Oscar and Ernie & Bert filmed back in the day. So this is essentially them turning that special idea into a documentary, and all that material is used for this.