1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Forum Upgrade May 25
    We will be upgrading our forum software on Saturday May 25. This is a major upgrade that will add many new features and enhance security.

3. Radionomy ends May 31
    Radionomy has announced that all US stations, including Muppet Central Radio, will be removed on May 31.

4. You Can Be a Muppeteer
    Watch the Sesame Street Puppeteer Workshop with the amazing Sesame Street performers: Jennifer Barnhart, Matt Vogel and Marty Robinson.

Dismiss Notice
  5. Sesame Street Season 49
    Sesame Street's 49th season officially began Saturday November 17 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

New Muppet series in development for Disney's 2019 streaming service

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by RealWonderman, Feb 21, 2018.

1. MuppetSpot

MuppetSpot Well-Known Member

Already heard some news, the whole series didn’t get far into production due to Josh Gad’s filming schedule and him busy.

2. DARTH MUPPET

DARTH MUPPET Well-Known Member

Pure speculation I don't buy it.

3. DARTH MUPPET

DARTH MUPPET Well-Known Member

I like kind of a take on the Producers for a movie don't know if it would work as a show. Gonzo and Kermit as Directors!

4. Grumpo

Grumpo Member

5. BlakeConor14

BlakeConor14 Well-Known Member

In one part it could be better as The Muppets weren't one of his acquired projects like star wars and the new ceo may want to promote them more

On the other hand the new ceo may use want nothing to do with them

6. Buff Beaker

Buff Beaker Well-Known Member

I think the Muppets show for Disney plus will definitely help bring the Muppets back to popularity.

DMHFan likes this.
  7. MWoO

MWoO Well-Known Member

I feel like, at this point, they need to focus on winter releases for muppet family movies and focus on tieing the muppets into their other properties with parodies during the release of major movies. This is how Sesame Street stays in the public eye.

8. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

I really like the idea of The Muppets doing theatrical shorts before Disney movies, like Pixar does.

9. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

I've been saying that for ages. I don't know why it wasn't done after those YT ones went over so well. Something like "Popcorn" or "Stand By Me" would've played great in a theatrical setting.

10. MWoO

MWoO Well-Known Member

It would be even better if they hid the cost for the shorts in the budget for the movie.

11. Buff Beaker

Buff Beaker Well-Known Member

Seriously why hasn't Disney done this ?

12. Duke Remington

Duke Remington Well-Known Member

Here’s a link to a podcast with an interview with Kirk Thatcher where he explains all that:

https://radiopublic.com/high-voltage-radio-hour-GbxevJ/ep/s1!225e4

Let’s hope they’ll be able to release those remaining Pigs in Space videos after Star Wars Episode IX comes out.

DMHFan likes this.
  13. DMHFan

DMHFan Well-Known Member

14. GuySmileyfan

GuySmileyfan Well-Known Member

DMHFan likes this.
  15. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

When it says there'll be "a cooking show, a game show, and a talk show", will they all appear within the ten minute episodes, or will they be like a rotating schedule of format? Which could be neat, but with it being referred to as a variety format, that all seems limiting in terms of "variety".

It would be cool if this could be a Muppet anthology series, with each installment having a different setting. Like a ten-minute Pigs in Space sketch for one episode, an Electric Mayhem concert or road trip story for another (or maybe a Behind the Music-style documentary on the band?), something concerning Robin and the Frog Scouts for another, a Gonzo-centric episode for another, and so on.

I wish it would have more in the way of sketches. Cooking, talk show, and variety all feel more like "non-fiction-ish" programming. I'd like to see them do stuff like a western sketch or a detective sketch or maybe some movie parodies. Might be hard to do those entirely unscripted, but I don't really care if they're written or unscripted.

Of course I believe Frank Oz has said that he'd like for the performers to have a bit of control, this would be a way for the performers to maintain the purity of the characters.