New Muppet Movie opens Christmas Day 2011

Drtooth

Reaction score
Everything they've been doing; Letters to Santa, Bohemian Rhapsody, virals, appearances, etc.; has been for the sole purpose of building a groundwork and a foundation and excitement for the movie. I highly, highly doubt that they're going to stop this momentum now, of all times. I've been told by a few different sources that this momentum will continue. I'm not sure about another major project in the works, but one would assume they'd be planning something since the shoot for the film is only 6-8 weeks.
They will definitely promote the heck out of these guys until the movie comes out. I just hope they can continue whatever it is they're doing.

The Halloween special keeps getting pushed back, and filming for the movie will no doubt push it back another year. But as long as the appearances keep happening, the virals keep coming out, and we release more and more Muppet stuff on DVD (still don't see why they can't release MT and TMS concurrently) they'll have a foothold in the market place. If The Disney Channel didn't turn into the alter of tween pop, they could have reran episodes of either show, AND added Muppet Babies to the Preschool line up. Hype is the key to this film's success. Seems like a big merchandising push is happening to, albeit slowly.

But as far as the film goes, there's really no time before the shooting to make the next big project. We don't want the next special to be rushed. So, any new projects before the film would have to happen after the shoot... and no doubt the puppeteers and crew will want a tiny bit of downtime.

dabauckham

Reaction score
I, for one, hope to bring my family on Christmas (my daughter will be 2 1/2 by then!) She already loves the Muppets at almost a year. Yay! :smile:

Davina

Reaction score
hope they can pull it off and it doesn't get delayed ...
might have to go to the movies that Christmas break.. we'll have the step kids that year for Christmas, so yay! there.. and the grandbaby will be 4.. (yikes!) and she's already a fan of muppets (her fav is fraggle rock right now at 2 and a half..) so will be a very fun Christmas for us (and hopefully we'll have adopted by then too, which would just make it all perfect..)

Lil0Vampy

Reaction score
OwO Yay, we has a date! << I'm not a huge fan of a Christmas release, purely because it's gonna be heck gettin to see it on opening day, but I'm still looking forward to it!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I wonder if they'll do a teaser trailer for the Muppet film to roll before holiday films this Christmas. That's been done quite a bit before especially with Disney. :smile:

Let's hope it could happen!

Drtooth

Reaction score
You know what would really be something? Theatrical shorts. Too bad the theatrical short market has dried up, and it just doesn't work the same way it once did anymore... but think about it. Shorter Muppet segments in the vein of the virals, but before Disney movies. That would be a great way to hype up the movie's release date.

beaker

Reaction score
I DESPISE the Christmas release date. Not saying summer is the best time(see MFS) but I think summer feels WAY more Muppety than the sweet sacarine tingue of Xmas day releases. Save Christmas time for Christmas Muppet specials!

Ok so am I assuming that Jonah Hill is confirmed to be in this?
Looks like its going to definitely have the whole Judd Apatow thing going on. But it also, from what Im reading, is going to have some cool indie hipster vibe to it(flight of the conchords director, hip sensibilities)

I LOVE how they said they're going to play the oil business scenes like a serious "Soderbergh drama", that rocks. I can see that and totally picture.

Given one of the largest oil giants in the world has pretty much destroyed a large portion of America's waters, I'd say this concept couldn't be more timely.
I just wish theyd come up with an even better script and KEEP IT SECRET! :smile:

But anyways, heres the interview:
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/45407

Again tho, summer 2011 release would mean a lot of cool summer tie ins at the disney parks, fast food places, etc.

beaker

Reaction score
Everything they've been doing; Letters to Santa, Bohemian Rhapsody, virals, appearances, etc.; has been for the sole purpose of building a groundwork and a foundation and excitement for the movie. I highly, highly doubt that they're going to stop this momentum now, of all times. I've been told by a few different sources that this momentum will continue. I'm not sure about another major project in the works, but one would assume they'd be planning something since the shoot for the film is only 6-8 weeks.

As Muppet fans, we should come together and support this thing through h*e*l*l and high water since we've waited eleven years for a theatrical release. There's no reason to discount it as a bad release date or say it'll bomb. We've gotta have faith, here, gang! Trust me when I say that the Muppets are in extremely capable hands and that the entire Walt Disney Company is fully behind this film. I've been told that the promotion for it will rival that of Toy Story 3. Trust me... This thing IS going to be a success and it WILL happen just how we hope it will.
Oh I have no doubt the big mouse will saturate with marketing like noone else. And I welcome it. Heck there is not ONE place I can go to or drive or go online without seeing Toy Story 3 promos. Massive insane billboards in San Francisco, promos at all the restuaraunts, department stores, malls, etc. Its nuts. Im almost kind of toy story'd out already, and I love pixar and the toy story brand!

But again, EVERYTHING about this project and the segal/stoller and apatow vibe SCREAMS for a summer release. NOT winter.
Freaking Transformers 3, the biggest one of the series will be filmed, edited, and massively cgi'd and released long before this movie comes out(and they havent even started filming Transformers yet)

Theres no doubt that this project is real, it is going to happen. It wont be like any number of JHC projects in development heck. But its all about the timing, ratcheting up the Muppet street cred, and having a perfect campaign.

Also, it wouldnt hurt if the movie was genuinely visionary, funny, warm and magical...so that even all the indie college hipsters would be chlamoring to see it

beaker

Reaction score
You know what would really be something? Theatrical shorts. Too bad the theatrical short market has dried up, and it just doesn't work the same way it once did anymore... but think about it. Shorter Muppet segments in the vein of the virals, but before Disney movies. That would be a great way to hype up the movie's release date.

Dude, youre a genuis! Thatd rock. I remember right before LOTR 3 they had the mastercard muppet short on the big screen, and I was SO thrilled!

btw, looney tunes will start doing shorts again at the movies

Mupp

Reaction score
I wonder if they'll do a teaser trailer for the Muppet film to roll before holiday films this Christmas. That's been done quite a bit before especially with Disney. :smile:

Let's hope it could happen!
You know, it would be awesome if they had a teaser trailer before Toy Story 3. But I guess that's just wishful thinking on my part, its probably way too early for that.