New Muppet Movie opens Christmas Day 2011

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
You know what would really be something? Theatrical shorts. Too bad the theatrical short market has dried up, and it just doesn't work the same way it once did anymore... but think about it. Shorter Muppet segments in the vein of the virals, but before Disney movies. That would be a great way to hype up the movie's release date.
That's not a bad idea at all. I actually wanted to put together an impromptu petition back in November to get the Bohemian Rhapsody video shown in theaters with The Princess and the Frog but that obviously went nowhere. :smirk: Heck, if Disney could release some episodes of MouseWorks in theaters I don't see why they can't release some viral-type Muppet shorts to theaters.

muppet boy

Reaction score
YAY! It finally has a release date!

Being a life-long muppet fan, I can truly say that I am super happy that the muppets are regaining their popularity after several years of being almost dormant.

My only concern is the release date itself. It seems like a fair release date, and I would go see it first day. The only thing that concerns me is that the theatres will be swamped. I don't beleive I have ever seen a movie in theatres on Christmas day and I would like to spend the day with my family. Perhaps we could go see the movie together.

My other concern is that I could experience a muppet overload. With my traditonal watching of MFC and TCT, I could burn out on the muppets if I experince too much. But hey, you can never have enough muppets.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Oh I have no doubt the big mouse will saturate with marketing like noone else. And I welcome it. Heck there is not ONE place I can go to or drive or go online without seeing Toy Story 3 promos. Massive insane billboards in San Francisco, promos at all the restuaraunts, department stores, malls, etc. Its nuts. Im almost kind of toy story'd out already, and I love pixar and the toy story brand!
And yet there's no stinkin kid's meal premium. I take it Disney's the latest in a long line of "We don't want bad press" wimps that have to answer to the usual parental group idiots.

But again, EVERYTHING about this project and the segal/stoller and apatow vibe SCREAMS for a summer release. NOT winter.
Freaking Transformers 3, the biggest one of the series will be filmed, edited, and massively cgi'd and released long before this movie comes out(and they havent even started filming Transformers yet)
Transformers 3... well, I'd say that's a perfectly good reason to wait until Christmas for the release right there. We want this to perform well, and if it's buried under a pile of bad summer lacklusters, no one's gonna care. Which is sad, but it's really why so many summer films with huge budgets flop. They all open at the same time, and they all compete with each other. That's why prince of Persia and Sex in the City 2 aren't doing so hot. Had either of them had a July release, they probably wouldn't be in the same stew they're in. I'd hate for a Muppet movie to be lost in that shuffle.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I've noticed two things, regarding this and past Muppet movies.

First of all, seems this and the last two came out around the time of the Toy Story movies. Muppet Treasure Island came out a few months after Toy Story, Muppets From Space came out a few months before Toy Story 2, and this next one will come out a year (or perhaps more accuratey a year and a half) after Toy Story 3. Hmm, I wonder if Disney ever considered putting the Palisades Muppet toys or Master Replicas in Toy Story 3....

Secondly, this and the last theatrical film seem to have come out around "end of the world scares". Muppets From Space came out half a year before 2000, when we had the "Y2K scare" (not sure how many of us really took that seriously as an end-of-the-world problem, but I sure was scared). And this movie will come out so close to 2012 (I don't really beleive in the 2012 "end of the wordl" stuff, but at the same time I am scared).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
You know what would really be something? Theatrical shorts. Too bad the theatrical short market has dried up, and it just doesn't work the same way it once did anymore... but think about it. Shorter Muppet segments in the vein of the virals, but before Disney movies. That would be a great way to hype up the movie's release date.
Wowl, I was thinking the same thing, and I didn't even see this post until now. I talked about the idea in another "next Muppet movie" thread. I wonder if it would be a good idea if Pixar animated a Muppet short to precede the movie, maybe somethign showcasing characters who won't have a big role in the film.