New Muppet Movie opens Christmas Day 2011

Beauregard

Reaction score
*squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel!*

I cannot WAIT to see them doing all the TV rounds in the run up to Christmas! Oh it's gunna be mega exciting!

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
I usually don't do movies on major holidays but I will be making an exception for this! I will figure out a way to fit it into what is usually a pretty jammed packed day of family visits, but I will be there. Such a long wait though...

Drtooth

Reaction score
Having kind of an indifferent reaction to this. For one thing, it's really weird that a release date is set before anything's gone before the cameras.
That's pretty much the standard for films now. They basically pick a date and see if they can film the entire movie and edit everything before then.

Personally, I don't know when this film SHOULD come out to be successful. But I gotta say, while I'm glad they're not rushing into anything, I really don't like a winter month release. I hate seeing movies in winter, and half the time, I just don't even bother seeing films then. It's too cold (think about having to dress warmly and then sit in a warm, theater in uncomfortably warm clothing for 2 hours), and that's even if you can get to a theater in case some idiotic storm comes up. Trust me... I missed a LOT of movies because I just couldn't get to them.

But if they feel that's a successful date, I hope it is. I personally wanted to see it on a warmer month, but the summer movie season would probably shellack it, no thanks to multiple blob-busters released at the same time (which is why everything's doing terribly, except for Iron Man and Shrek this year).

I just hope that we don't see Muppet Show season 4 held out until that date myself. We've past the 2 year mark since season 3. DVD's will be completely obsolete by the time we get Muppets Tonight!

MelissaY1

Reaction score
Very cool there's an official date set up, but I gotta be honest, I may wait a week later to see this in theaters. I made the mistake of going to the movies over the holiday weekend this past year to see "Avatar" (which in my opinion was a mistake within itself lol) and it was a complete zoo at the theater. I want to beat the post holiday returning their gifts crowd and then go enjoy the Muppets

MelissaY1

Reaction score
That's pretty much the standard for films now. They basically pick a date and see if they can film the entire movie and edit everything before then.

Personally, I don't know when this film SHOULD come out to be successful. But I gotta say, while I'm glad they're not rushing into anything, I really don't like a winter month release. I hate seeing movies in winter, and half the time, I just don't even bother seeing films then. It's too cold (think about having to dress warmly and then sit in a warm, theater in uncomfortably warm clothing for 2 hours), and that's even if you can get to a theater in case some idiotic storm comes up. Trust me... I missed a LOT of movies because I just couldn't get to them.

But if they feel that's a successful date, I hope it is. I personally wanted to see it on a warmer month, but the summer movie season would probably shellack it, no thanks to multiple blob-busters released at the same time (which is why everything's doing terribly, except for Iron Man and Shrek this year).

I just hope that we don't see Muppet Show season 4 held out until that date myself. We've past the 2 year mark since season 3. DVD's will be completely obsolete by the time we get Muppets Tonight!
Dr. Tooth: I'm with you, right on. I HATE the winter, and I hate the crowds around the holidays (and living in NY we have some of the worst and busiest areas) I understand they probably picked this date so families and children can go, but still.

The only time I remember going to the movies around the holidays was back in 2004 when my grandmother passed away and we always spent Christmas Eve and Christmas with her and my family was all bummed and we decided instead of sitting home being depressed we went to see the musical version of Phantom of the Opera on Christmas Eve with Gerard Butler as the Phantom. We actually had a nice time.

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
At least we'll have the DVD release of Season Four to keep us occupied (for a few days, anyway).

dwmckim

Reaction score
All i can say (besides what i've said already) is that if that's going to be the release date then the Muppets really need to release another major project such as a special or something in the meantime (and no - viral videos/muppets.com clips don't count)

The Muppets' biggest problem for way too long and several owners have been the long lagtimes between major projects. Usually it's a case of sitting back and analysing the success of one project before bothering to make a decision about "what next?" as opposed to having plans in the pipeline in the meantime that they can immediately get to work on. This time though (while there's a little of that), the main cause is too long a sitting-on-the-shelf-gathering-dust period.

By the time this comes out, the last major project would have been Letters to Santa - which at that time would have been FOUR Christmases ago! Instead of people talking about "a Muppet comeback", they'll be talking about "a comeback to their comeback"

theprawncracker

Reaction score
All i can say (besides what i've said already) is that if that's going to be the release date then the Muppets really need to release another major project such as a special or something in the meantime (and no - viral videos/muppets.com clips don't count)

The Muppets' biggest problem for way too long and several owners have been the long lagtimes between major projects. Usually it's a case of sitting back and analysing the success of one project before bothering to make a decision about "what next?" as opposed to having plans in the pipeline in the meantime that they can immediately get to work on. This time though (while there's a little of that), the main cause is too long a sitting-on-the-shelf-gathering-dust period.

By the time this comes out, the last major project would have been Letters to Santa - which at that time would have been FOUR Christmases ago! Instead of people talking about "a Muppet comeback", they'll be talking about "a comeback to their comeback"
Everything they've been doing; Letters to Santa, Bohemian Rhapsody, virals, appearances, etc.; has been for the sole purpose of building a groundwork and a foundation and excitement for the movie. I highly, highly doubt that they're going to stop this momentum now, of all times. I've been told by a few different sources that this momentum will continue. I'm not sure about another major project in the works, but one would assume they'd be planning something since the shoot for the film is only 6-8 weeks.

As Muppet fans, we should come together and support this thing through h*e*l*l and high water since we've waited eleven years for a theatrical release. There's no reason to discount it as a bad release date or say it'll bomb. We've gotta have faith, here, gang! Trust me when I say that the Muppets are in extremely capable hands and that the entire Walt Disney Company is fully behind this film. I've been told that the promotion for it will rival that of Toy Story 3. Trust me... This thing IS going to be a success and it WILL happen just how we hope it will.

Mupp

Reaction score
It really bothers me that, as Muppet fans, we can come together and support this thing through h*e*l*l and high water since we've waited eleven years for a theatrical release. We've gotta have faith, here, gang!
I agree.

Also, they mentioned at the D23 Expo that there is supposed to be a Muppets Halloween special this year.

So hopefully that will still be happening.