New Muppet movie in development for potential 2013 release

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Ru, dear! Its lovely to see you. I too have tried to keep up with the thread, but don't recall seeing whether or not you had reviewed the trailer at all yet? I'm interested to hear your thoughts!

Ruahnna

Reaction score
So good to see you too, Beau! (Write me!) Life has me rather wrapped around the axel, and I have sat back a bit and not commented about the movie/trailers. I find the idea for this movie a big...strange, given that IAVMMC was about how vitally important Kermit was in everyone's life. So this is kindof the anti-IAVMMC?

I'm assuming this movie is going to be sortof spoofy, since it presupposed that, if Kermit were replaced by, oh, just anyone who vaguely looks like him, then none of his closest friends would notice. (I will only chase one rabbit here and say--OMG, have they MET muppet fans before? We notice if Piggy's hair is different or if Kermit's collar has too many points or he sounds like he has a cold! Are they really trying to say that the actual MUPPETS wouldn't notice? Apparently....)

My only real concern about the movie--and it's pretty big-- is that, when Piggy finds out that the frog who was sweet and courtly and wooing her big-time isn't Kermit, I'm hoping that she doesn't cave and come back to Kermit for sub-par treatment. I really loved Jason's take on Piggy's independence and new emotional maturity when it comes to being used by Kermit--I would hate to see her humiliated by a show of "I've-got-you-so-I-don't-have-to-be-nice"--I had QUITE enough of that to last me. I WOULD like to see the frog erupt into arm-waving hysteria at the thought of Piggy considering that a frog in the hand beats a frog beating-around-the-bush. THEN it would be okay with me if she comes "back." Let the frog declare himself! Better yet--talk is cheap, bucko--let the frog SHOW himself committed! If this is the three step back to the last movie's two steps forward, I'm going to feel awfully gypped.

So...that's my take on the movie. I love that we're going to see more of Sam. I'm unimpressed with Tina Fey any way you slice it--such a negative, mean sort of person who does primarily mean humor. But then, if I can like Alice Cooper and others on The Muppets behalf, I suppose I can tolerate her.

What about you, punkin? Ready for some muppety goodness?

Love and hugs from you Auntie Ru!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Popping in to say... The only Tina Fay I've seen is her stint as the Bookaneers' Captain on Sesame Street waay back in Season 37's premiere, and when she co-anchored SNL's Weekend Newsbreak when that still aired in syndication. So I don't rully know what negativity she may have fostered. At any rate, about the trailers analysis or analyses, there's one line in Toughpigs review that made me laugh.
There's this one part where Constantine (different frog than Kermit) is watching a clip of Kermit as a reporter in the Little Miss Muffet SST News Flash sketch. The quote goes along the lines of how we think Disney and Sesame are in an immortal deathlock staredown with each other from their treehouse forts across the street from each other; and yet, this shows they can both play together like old buddies.

BTW: Do you think a certain :news: fan will be happy for the Weekend Mupdate set? Hee.
*Is on Muppetdom countdown to the parade and Lady Gaga special.

SesameFever

Reaction score
Am I the only one who thinks this is gonna be just a lame remake of The Great Muppet Caper with a new name????

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Am I the only one who thinks this is gonna be just a lame remake of The Great Muppet Caper with a new name????
Um...yes.

The Great Muppet Caper was about three Muppets playing newspaper reporters who travel to London in order to cover the theft of valuable jewels from British fashion designer, Lady Holiday.

Muppets Most Wanted is about the Muppets (playing themselves) touring all over the world until an evil frog trades places with Kermit. That's about as much as we know about the plot.

The only two things that are similar are the use of London as one of the locations and that jewels are involved in the plot. Under your criteria, The Muppets Take Manhattan was just a retread of The Muppet Movie because they all travel to the "big city" in order to put on a show. I don't believe that to be true either.

Scooterforever

Reaction score
While Muppets Most Wanted indeed seems to be retreading familiar ground, I'm still looking forward to it. I don't think I can express in words how stoked I am to see Sam as a MAIN character in a Muppet movie again, like in MTI. He's criminally underused and underrated. I'm curious to see how Sam got involved with the CIA. Maybe he always was, just undercover, wouldn't that be a great twist?

SesameFever

Reaction score
I guess you are right. Is WALTER gonna be in the movie? The new Muppet from "The Muppets"?

Duke Remington

Reaction score
I'm curious to see how Sam got involved with the CIA. Maybe he always was, just undercover, wouldn't that be a great twist?
I still think Sam is just playing a role as a CIA agent. In other words, an actor playing a role with the traditional Muppet fourth wall-breaking abounding.

Scooterforever

Reaction score
I still think Sam is just playing a role as a CIA agent. In other words, an actor playing a role with the traditional Muppet fourth wall-breaking abounding.
I don't know; this is a direct sequel to The Muppets, with all the Muppets playing themselves, as opposed to GMC where they played other characters, so it would feel a little odd to have Sam as the only one playing a separate role. I think either he joined up with the CIA after the last film or he's been undercover all along.

I'm stoked to see some of the guest stars in this one, the new trailer showed some of my fav actors like Tom Hiddleston and Christoph Waltz, not to mention both trailers indicate Scooter will have a major part as he did in The Muppets.

Status
Not open for further replies.