New Muppet movie in development for potential 2013 release

Status
Not open for further replies.

muppetperson

Reaction score
I think the working title for The Muppets was actually The Greatest Muppet Movie Ever Made. Then they settled on The Muppets. I'm thinking The Muppets...Again could be the real title. Who knows at this point. It's not even shooting yet. We'll see. :smile:
They used that name along with "The cheapest Muppet Movie" when they were just planning it, but when they actually worked on it, it was "The Muppets".The same now, when they announced the movie it was "The Muppets II(2)" and now that they are working on it, it is "The Muppets Again". Long story short, it is more than likely that they will run with "The muppets again".

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
They used that name along with "The cheapest Muppet Movie" when they were just planning it, but when they actually worked on it, it was "The Muppets".The same now, when they announced the movie it was "The Muppets II(2)" and now that they are working on it, it is "The Muppets Again". Long story short, it is more than likely that they will run with "The muppets again".
"The Cheapest Muppet Movie Ever Made" was a completely different script.:smile:

LouisTheOtter

Reaction score
Thumbs-up to Tina Fey!!!
Merely a lukewarm reaction to "The Muppets...Again." Not the worst title we could have had, but even as a working title it shows a lack of imagination. I'm pulling for "World Wide Muppets" myself.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
That's still not quite right. It was announced at Disney's D23 Expo in 2008 that the title of the original Muppet reboot would be "The Cheapest Muppet Movie Ever Made". The title was later referred to as "The Greatest Muppet Movie of All Time" and once in production it was referred to simply as "The Muppets". Because of this, the final title of the new film is anyone's guess. :wink:

Hubert

Reaction score
After spending some further time reflecting on the new title, it actually isn't all that bad. I would prefer something better, but I could live with it. My largest issue now is that it sounds so sequel-ish. I would love something that sounds more like a stand alone movie, which I figure this one will end up being.

Twisted Tails

Reaction score
After spending some further time reflecting on the new title, it actually isn't all that bad. I would prefer something better, but I could live with it. My largest issue now is that it sounds so sequel-ish. I would love something that sounds more like a stand alone movie, which I figure this one will end up being.
I agree with you Hubert. After the sucess of The Muppet Movie, the next movie was The Great Muppet Caper and I do believe it was more of a "stand-alone" movie than a sequel. I may to live with it as well. Squel-ish? Why didn't I think of that? It would be great if it was a "stand alone" movie like The Great Muppet Caper was.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think the working title for The Muppets was actually The Greatest Muppet Movie Ever Made. Then they settled on The Muppets. I'm thinking The Muppets...Again could be the real title. Who knows at this point. It's not even shooting yet. We'll see. :smile:
I'm glad they didn't use that title. And in hindsight, I'm really glad they didn't use any subtitle that suggested a massive comeback. Those titles were asking for trouble. Say what you will about the content of Looney Tunes Back in Action. That "we're back and ready to restart the franchise" statement was asking for failure. We wouldn't have wanted to see that sort of misfortune happen, leaving the title to be an ironic statement or an annoying what could have been.

Disney titled the first film The Muppets for brand recognition. Same reason why Winnie the Pooh was only called Winnie the Pooh and didn't get a specific story title.

The ... Again bit is irreverent and quirky, though I don't know how it would be from a marketing standpoint.

They used that name along with "The cheapest Muppet Movie" when they were just planning it, but when they actually worked on it, it was "The Muppets".
Not sure how correct my theory is, but it really sounds like "Cheapest" was a place holder title (and possibly project) until they settled on the Segal/Stoller script. There was the intent to make a movie, but I wonder if they were going to go a different direction. There is no way that title would fit the project we got, since Cheapest is a high concept film that never went anywhere. Cheapest didn't have anything to do with the film at any angle, and while ... again is irreverent, Cheapest is esoterically irreverent to the point of confusing and scaring casual movie goers away.

Hubert

Reaction score
Though I'm not a big fan of saying the TMA title, I kinda like to envision it on DVD covers and merchandise and stuff. I'd love to see the text "The Muppets," with a little sign underneath that says "again" attached to the bottom of the text kinda lopsided with obvious nails and a lackluster paint job. Would be a fun way to show some Muppety spirit involved in the "logo" of sorts.

CaseytheMuppet

Reaction score
The only reason I'm not liking it is because the again part makes it sound like a direct sequel, but from the looks of things, this seems like another stand alone movie. So there could be confusion to non-Muppet freaks about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.