New Muppet movie in development for potential 2013 release

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Yes, I'd love to see Robin have some speaking roles, as well as Pepe and Lips. Matt, Bill & Steve are still going strong today...but here's my question to you. How available would Brian Henson and *especially* Kevin Clash be? With the KC allegations, I doubt he'll be doing any puppeteering any time soon. And Brian hasn't been involved heavily as a puppeteer in any recent Muppet productions, to my knowledge. Most of the Muppets Tonight cast has been phased out of recent productions, with the exception of Pepe.
'
And Bobo, of course. And I guess Big Mean Carl, as well.

I've got to agree.

Walter is a plot device, not a character. He has none of the depth or personality that the other Muppets have.

Regardless, I'm happy they're doing a sequel.
I hate nitpicking, but it's not a sequel.

cjd874

Reaction score
Oh no, actually I was afraid it would come out that way. What I'm saying is Walter's a redundant character because Scooter already filled the role of eager, innocent apprentice to the Muppets.
OK, I understand now. Thanks! To me, Walter seems kinda wimpy/nerdy like Nigel the conductor...I remember reading something where Jim or one of the writers called Nigel something to the extent of "a wimpy, mouse-like guy completely devoid of character..." Ouch. Walter's not so much like Scooter as he is like Nigel.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I love Walter! He's much more than just a plot device. He does have a personality and it is one that easily won over audiences last year. He deserves a spot along side Rizzo and Pepe. Walter's inclusion is also very important to a generation that was introduced to the Muppets through him. This is not "Sophie's Choice," people! The more the merrier. That's the Muppety way.

That said, I think they should spend more time with Scooter, Rowlf and the Mayhem than with Walter for this film. :fanatic:

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
I love Walter! He's much more than just a plot device. He does have a personality and it is one that easily won over audiences last year. He deserves a spot along side Rizzo and Pepe. Walter's inclusion is also very important to a generation that was introduced to the Muppets through him. This is not "Sophie's Choice," people! The more the merrier. That's the Muppety way.

That said, I think they should spend more time with Scooter, Rowlf and the Mayhem than with Walter for this film. :fanatic:
Bobin has already said that Walter will largely be invovled in the next one. But I agree, Walter is much more than just a plot device. He's big character, and very crucial addition to the Muppet family. And I agree, he should be alongside Rizzo and Pepe as part of the 'core group'. And Scooter and Rowlf should also return to the 'core group' alongside Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo, and Animal.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
And I agree, he should be alongside Rizzo and Pepe as part of the 'core group'. And Scooter and Rowlf should also return to the 'core group' alongside Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo, and Animal.
The thing is it's easy to say everyone should get their moment in a film but it's a ton of characters to look after, lol.

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
'
I hate nitpicking, but it's not a sequel.
This is a sequel to Segal and Bobin's vision for the Muppets.

e's much more than just a plot device. He does have a personality and it is one that easily won over audiences last year.
He's big character, and very crucial addition to the Muppet family.
You guys have said nothing to validate these claims. He has nothing to him. He's performed brilliantly, but that doesn't mean he's a worthy addition to the Muppets.

Walter's sole purpose in the film is to get the Muppets back together. Once that's done, there's nothing else for him, really. He's just a happy Muppet who bounces around and whistles; pretty interchangeable with any Anything Muppet on Sesame Street. As Heralde said, he's like Scooter, but Scooter has an edge. Scooter can be a jerk sometimes, but in a very sweet way, like when he's threatening Kermit with his producer uncle.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
This is a sequel to Segal and Bobin's vision for the Muppets.

You guys have said nothing to validate these claims. He has nothing to him. He's performed brilliantly, but that doesn't mean he's a worthy addition to the Muppets.

Walter's sole purpose in the film is to get the Muppets back together. Once that's done, there's nothing else for him, really. He's just a happy Muppet who bounces around and whistles; pretty interchangeable with any Anything Muppet on Sesame Street. As Heralde said, he's like Scooter, but Scooter has an edge. Scooter can be a jerk sometimes, but in a very sweet way, like when he's threatening Kermit with his producer uncle.
It's not a sequel, it's a completely different film. A sequel picks up where a previous film left off, which won't be the case with this film.

As for Walter, just because he was sort of a plot device in the last film, that doesn't mean he'll remain a bland character. I have confidence that Peter Linz and the writers will further develop this character and really help him grow.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
As Heralde said, he's like Scooter, but Scooter has an edge. Scooter can be a jerk sometimes, but in a very sweet way, like when he's threatening Kermit with his producer uncle.
Exactly, I mean how much more can you do with a character whose thing is that he's a fan? And again anything I can think of just ends up being a repeat of Scooter and frankly I'd rather see Scooter because he is a bit more complex. At least he was while on The Muppet Show, as you say. The whole computer nerd thing they've got now really isn't true to the character.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I'm certainly no casual fan. I can understand the apprehension to newer characters and I respect that fans aren't going to enjoy every Muppet. Still, that has no bearing on Walter's worth as a character. He's not some bland anything muppet by any measure.

Scooter is one of my favorite Muppets. On the surface, both he and Walter hold some similar behind the scenes functions. However, Scooter has never been just a simple gofer. He's a manipulator. Scooter is delightfully presumptuous. He has stars in his eyes and ulterior motives. Always! He also delights in the predicaments of others. :wink:

Walter is the opposite of that. He's earnest without agenda. Walter is a pleaser, often to the point of absurdity. I think that's hilarious. That's the core of who he is and it often clouds his judgment. There's a lot of potential there to develop him into a fantastic second or third-tier character. He's also important to the kids who became fans from last year's film and I think he's a perfect fit for the Muppets. :fanatic:

Status
Not open for further replies.