New Muppet movie in development for potential 2013 release

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
I personally feel they should've just left it as being announced another movie is being made with the aim of it being released next year. It's kind of annoying to me just giving us teasers when I don't even think James and Nick know how they want the story to go. They probably won't even get the script done till towards the end of this year. So in some ways I don't think they should release anything until shooting has started.

CaseytheMuppet

Reaction score
Sorry for the excitement guys! :embarrassed: I didn't realize the interview predated the development of the next film. *Walks of embarresed*

jvcarroll

Reaction score
As fans, we tend to overly-scrutinize and/or overly-praise each production. Entertainment is ultimately about commerce. Most everything in life comes down to the bottom line. Maintaining quality standards can be a crucial part of maintaining a franchise. Running brands into the ground can also be a way to make millions of quick bucks. We've seen Disney try both of these methods.

Things have greatly improved since Michael Eisner and his bargain cheapquels have departed the Walt Disney Company. The dreadful, poorly drawn video sequels for Little Mermaid and other beloved properties are gone and replaced by things like the Tinkerbell franchise. That might seem like a lateral step to some, yet it's a series that's geared to tweens without feeling the need to directly scar the Peter Pan legacy. It's a balancing act and not a perfect one. It's unreasonable to ask a company to lock these precious properties in a box to prevent further tinkering no matter how much some fans would wish it so. Tinkering is going to happen and it can happen with a thoughtful game plan in place.

Cars 2 didn't excite me. It wasn't Pixar's worst film. It wasn't their best either. Nonetheless it was moderately enjoyable with plenty of eye-popping graphics, funny gags and quality craftsmanship. It also sold an insane amount of toys. I'm actually looking forward to Monsters U. I felt there were many squandered opportunities with the original movie and this origin story doesn't meddle with the Monsters Inc masterpiece.

I think this new Muppet movie has the potential to be absolutely anything. Some fans are going to be optimistic. Others are going to find things to worry about. It's rather presumptuous for any of us to worry at this point. If a 22 minute Muppet Show script can be written in less than a week, a quality 90 minute Muppet movie script can certainly be penned in a few months. I'm just having a good time hearing about all the new Muppet happenings in the works!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Things have greatly improved since Michael Eisner and his bargain cheapquels have departed the Walt Disney Company. The dreadful, poorly drawn video sequels for Little Mermaid and other beloved properties are gone and replaced by things like the Tinkerbell franchise. That might seem like a lateral step to some, yet it's a series that's geared to tweens without feeling the need to directly scar the Peter Pan legacy. It's a balancing act and not a perfect one. It's unreasonable to ask a company to lock these precious properties in a box to prevent further tinkering no matter how much some fans would wish it so. Tinkering is going to happen and it can happen with a thoughtful game plan in place.
I feel I have to mention this...

The Tinkerbell movies are based off of Italian Disney comics. I feel there's a LOT of untapped potential for DTV/cartoon series based on the Italian Disney comics, and Tinkerbell's just scratching a surface that desperately needs to... uh... keep being scratched up.

Cars 2 didn't excite me. It wasn't Pixar's worst film. It wasn't their best either. Nonetheless it was moderately enjoyable with plenty of eye-popping graphics, funny gags and quality craftsmanship. It also sold an insane amount of toys. I'm actually looking forward to Monsters U. I felt there were many squandered opportunities with the original movie and this origin story doesn't meddle with the Monsters Inc masterpiece.
Pixar thus far only made 3 sequels. Toy Story 2 was just about forced on Pixar by Disney, but Pixar ran with it. The third one was clearly a challenge, egged on by Disney's threat of making one without them. And hearing Disney's Below Saturday morning quality version, it's almost like Pixar went, for lack of a better term, Super Sayian with the biggest emotional film they could. Because of that, I find the film a HUGE middle finger to Eisner just for that.

Cars 2 seems like a 90 minute episode of a Cars cartoon series. But the point was clearly to sell little car toys and get the 5-8 year olds that love the first movie back for the second. I have no idea what to expect out of Monster University, but I have nothing but optimism for the project. I think Boom's Monsters Inc 4 issue limited series proved there's a lot of life in those characters.

I think this new Muppet movie has the potential to be absolutely anything. Some fans are going to be optimistic. Others are going to find things to worry about. It's rather presumptuous for any of us to worry at this point. If a 22 minute Muppet Show script can be written in less than a week, a quality 90 minute Muppet movie script can certainly be penned in a few months. I'm just having a good time hearing about all the new Muppet happenings in the works!
I don't see why there's any negativity at all. Other than the fact that we don't even have a solid plot yet, the last film proved they can bring life back into the franchise without having to stoop to the weird gimmicks they tried back in 1992. Above all, the last film was establishmentary. That's why it was a "get the gang back together" film.

To me, the only reason I wouldn't be excited is if they announced the next film would be another classic retelling or another Christmas project. This film can be anything, and what it could potentially be is an exciting surprise. I'm sure once the script is done, something will be leaked, we'll see what's going down... and it will probably be a first draft. There's nothing to worry about.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I feel I have to mention this...

The Tinkerbell movies are based off of Italian Disney comics. I feel there's a LOT of untapped potential for DTV/cartoon series based on the Italian Disney comics, and Tinkerbell's just scratching a surface that desperately needs to... uh... keep being scratched up.

Pixar thus far only made 3 sequels. Toy Story 2 was just about forced on Pixar by Disney, but Pixar ran with it. The third one was clearly a challenge, egged on by Disney's threat of making one without them. And hearing Disney's Below Saturday morning quality version, it's almost like Pixar went, for lack of a better term, Super Sayian with the biggest emotional film they could. Because of that, I find the film a HUGE middle finger to Eisner just for that.

Cars 2 seems like a 90 minute episode of a Cars cartoon series. But the point was clearly to sell little car toys and get the 5-8 year olds that love the first movie back for the second. I have no idea what to expect out of Monster University, but I have nothing but optimism for the project. I think Boom's Monsters Inc 4 issue limited series proved there's a lot of life in those characters.

I don't see why there's any negativity at all. Other than the fact that we don't even have a solid plot yet, the last film proved they can bring life back into the franchise without having to stoop to the weird gimmicks they tried back in 1992. Above all, the last film was establishmentary. That's why it was a "get the gang back together" film.

To me, the only reason I wouldn't be excited is if they announced the next film would be another classic retelling or another Christmas project. This film can be anything, and what it could potentially be is an exciting surprise. I'm sure once the script is done, something will be leaked, we'll see what's going down... and it will probably be a first draft. There's nothing to worry about.
As much as I'd like to see day-to-day dealings in the theatre from a cinematic perspective, I kind of think a road trip movie would work really well. I have no clue what the movie could be about. They've probably picked an even better idea. I just hope this time out that they can expand the characters' nuances and dimensionality. "The Muppets" was really the prequel/advertisement for a full-fledged Muppet movie.

Drtooth

Reaction score
As much as I'd like to see day-to-day dealings in the theatre from a cinematic perspective, I kind of think a road trip movie would work really well. I have no clue what the movie could be about. They've probably picked an even better idea. I just hope this time out that they can expand the characters' nuances and dimensionality. "The Muppets" was really the prequel/advertisement for a full-fledged Muppet movie.
A Road Trip movie would be cool and all, but how would they differentiate it from the first movie, or even Follow that Bird?

Somehow I'd like to see some sort of weird Mystery that gets weirder the closer they are to solving it. Maybe make it a period piece that's so self aware that it is one that someone always accidentally makes an anachronistic reference every so often.

But I agree... I wouldn't really want to see the theater, unless they have a good basis for it being there. The Muppet Theater worked for VMX and TM, but the reason why the first three movies worked as well as they did was that there was no references at all to the theater. That would be a nice third movie, using the theater as a basis... but I'm thinking that we need to get out of the TV setting and run wild somewhere. When they did that on Muppets Tonight, the show improved greatly.

Status
Not open for further replies.