New Muppet movie in development for potential 2013 release

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
I'm only giving my opinion as you're...I understand Disney wanting to take advantage while the muppets are on a running streak right now. I think a lot more pushing is also due to blu-ray/DVD sales. Do I want them to just make crappy specials again heck no! But I don't want to see a rushed script and bad movie either. I mean it took what five years in the making just for the current one and why was it good despite some flaws because as the saying goes all good things take time.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
And they've only outlined a script so I'm sure there's gonna be a lot scrapping before its a go ahead. Only time will tell. But as a fan I am very excited and hopeful!

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Or the kids from Bridge to Terabithia. Did Disney really think they could get away with advertising a drama as a Narnia-like fantasy adventure?
Exactly. Haha! I'm sure there were a lot of confused audience members.

I know the "Muppets" marketing worked, but I still think a lot of it could have been done better. Better graphics, punchier trailers and tv spots. I'm not going to complain about it. It did the trick and Muppet images were everywhere so I'm happy! :wink:

that's true. TMM was '79 and GMC was '81

but a summer 2013 release would actually be less than 2 years since the last one. i think a holiday release would be good

i do understand them wanting to take advantage of the character's current attention and all though.
I understand that concern too. It used to take a year or more to edit a motion picture. The advantage of modern digital technology is that a rough cut is usually assembled during shooting and a final edit can be completed in record time.

Here's an example of the modern age of film:
Disney has already screened the Avengers and they're still planning to shoot, edit and insert an extra scene before it's release in only 3 weeks! Early buzz is that the movie is already phenomenal but Disney's not taking any chances so they're splurging for the extra coverage. I think the Muppets are in good hands. :smile:

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Only time will tell. I still wish they'd get Frank Oz's advice on this I'm sure he could give some great insight.

Avilos

Reaction score
It appears Frank Oz has moved on. They tried last time and he passed. I am sure they would love his input but they can not force him.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Yeah I know and that sucks. It's times like these I really wish Jim were still here. Anyways Nick and James were counting on you guys to make one heck of a movie and just as good if not better then this one!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Disney seems to want to strike while the Muppets are hot. That's a good thing. This is an approximate breakdown of what is required for a Summer 2013 release:
  • 3 months to complete & polish the script
  • 3 months of preproduction, soundtrack, set building, location scouting etc.
  • 3 months of production and filming
  • 3 months of post-production editing, effects and mixing
It can be done and not be rushed if they hit all green lights without any substancial set-backs over the next year. Television is an entirely different creature than film so I wouldn't compare the rushed specials to this sequel. However, I suspect this will be a holiday 2013 release. Either way, this is great news!!
Of course, with the first film, they were working on the script for years, even before Disney picked it up. That script had quite a bit of polishing to it, and thank frog it did.

Somehow, the writers are the ones saying 2013 is unrealistic... there's either something to put us at ease or completely unsettle us there depending how things work out. I'm sure we won't get something rushed, but this is barely a year of work to go on. I'm all for seeing a movie next year, but if I have to wait for 2014 for something a little more polished, I'm not complaining. Hopefully if the writers don't feel the script is perfect, Disney would give them the extra time to complete it.

But the very fact we're getting another movie and with the same writing talent is nothing but great news all around.

Somebody tell that to John Carter! :oops:
There was a real problem marketing that movie, and I bet the move to drop "Of Mars" from the title made the film blend in with all the other ill conceived fantasy action flops to begin with. They dropped the ball with Prince of Persia (a game that I'm sure no one under the age of 27 has ever heard of anyway), and I'm guessing the public say previews for John Carter and said "It's the same movie." They could have and SHOULD have marketed it better, but there's such a flood of that kind of movie (Wrath of the Titans came out a couple weeks later) that it blends in quietly with the background, and no one, not even the marketers saw what was special about it.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Okay I just wanna add I know Disney is not perfect in marketing in everything. I just meant I think in general they do a good job that doesn't mean I think everything they market is perfect just thought I'd add that.

Avilos

Reaction score
I have read that the situation with John Carter was inter-company politics. The execs who green lighted it were no longer at Disney by the time it was released. But the new people who took over had no enthusiasm for it and did not bother to hype it.

The Muppets are a completely different situation. The movie was a success on many different levels. Disney made a huge investment in buying the Muppets. They are going to want to get the full profit from it. That they are already moving forward with another is proof. Also that the director and one of the writers of first is returning is hugely significant. It shows they were happy with it. Problems arise when studios try to maintain a franchise with new people because of doubts over the previous ones.

On marketing, the Muppets have an advantage that nothing else has. The actual Muppets themselves! No other movie can have the actual characters appear on talk shows and other places. That will probably be happening on some level all the time until the new movie comes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.