Muppet Vinylmation Series 2

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
You do have some valid points, but I don't think we should be too harsh here. After all, things could be worse... They never could've made these figures at all. :sympathy:

The Muppets do need all the support they can get, especially with the new movie coming out.

Throw all the rotten vegetables and boomerang fish you want at me, but I'm just trying to help us all look at both sides of the coin. :halo:
I gave a fair assessment of the figures and offered my opinion. This is a forum. We state our opinions. No need to get harsh on mine. Just state your own. Don't need your input on my input. Either ignore me or quiet down. Thanks. :boo:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Ha! I still don't think they're trying hard enough, but I'm picky about this stuff.
Seriously, those things look like someone melted down figures of Mickey and Tinkerbelle and caught them in a bear shaped mold! Yuckka! Not to mention the placement of the mouth... and I can't say anything beyond that or this will get X-rated VERY fast! :eek:

Stock art seems to be the call for everything in this series, not just the Muppets... maybe with the exception of the artist series. It would have been something to see someone redesign these... imagine a Roger Landrige special series. They look alright to me, but I get what you're saying.

That said, I wonder what happened to the Star Wars Muppet larger figures. I would MUCH rather get those, especially the Link Hogthrob one.

JEP

Reaction score
They don't use stock art on Vinylmation. Well they did for Oh Mickey and the 2011 series. The artist who design all the merchandise for the theme parks are the one's who design Vinylmation. Except NOAH and Shag, but the Vinylmation they designed were for special events.

If you think that Tinkerbell is bad you should see the Winnie the Pooh thats coming out where his face is on Mickey's crotch. :eek:

rowlfy662

Reaction score
if that is true about the pooh bear al i have to say is that is wrong i wonder what pooh would say if he saw it probs

pooh:embarrassed:h bother

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
They don't use stock art on Vinylmation. Well they did for Oh Mickey and the 2011 series. The artist who design all the merchandise for the theme parks are the one's who design Vinylmation. Except NOAH and Shag, but the Vinylmation they designed were for special events.

If you think that Tinkerbell is bad you should see the Winnie the Pooh thats coming out where his face is on Mickey's crotch. :eek:
Many of the designs are either directly from or direct copies of licensing art many fans have seen for years. It's disappointing because they really aren't original drawings thus rendering the designs a little more stiff. However, the Swinetrek gang seems to be a little more original and shows some creativity.

JEP

Reaction score
Could it be because Monty Maldovan is their main Muppet artist? Im just going by what the artist and people in charge of Vinylmation have told me at artist parties and trading events. :smile:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Could it be because Monty Maldovan is their main Muppet artist? Im just going by what the artist and people in charge of Vinylmation have told me at artist parties and trading events. :smile:
I commend Marty for bringing the Muppet Vinylmations to us and much of his work is okay. Nonetheless, his designs are derived directly from the stock art in one way or another and that doesn't always show an independent knowledge of the actual characters nor does it put a distinct visual stamp on them.

:rolleyes: Case and point-
Here's what the Pepe puppet looks like: Puppet
Here's what his Vinylmation looks like compared to a revision: Comp
And Here's the stock art drawing of Pepe: Stock

I keep thinking they could either be made more accurately like the Toy Story designs or they could do what the Star Wars artists are doing with these really stunning representations.

I've done some Muppet figural work and currently design for vinyl. It is a nit-picky sort of medium so such critiques come with the territory. I just see the Muppet designs as middling in quality compared to the rest. I'm still thankful this is out there, but I might stop collecting the Muppet line now. It's too expensive for the result.

JEP

Reaction score
Well he is the one who does the Muppet stock art. :wink: I like your Pepe better though. I know of your work that you did with the Palisades figures and am thankful of what you helped them improve. I use to post here under another name and post at CreatusMaximus as Aerosmith. :smile:

One reason Toy Story(So close to finishing that set) might look more accurate is because they still have to be approved by Pixar. Same with Star Wars having to be approved by LucasFilm.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Well he is the one who does the Muppet stock art. :wink: I like your Pepe better though. I know of your work that you did with the Palisades figures and am thankful of what you helped them improve. I use to post here under another name and post at CreatusMaximus as Aerosmith. :smile:

One reason Toy Story(So close to finishing that set) might look more accurate is because they still have to be approved by Pixar. Same with Star Wars having to be approved by LucasFilm.
Hey, Aerosmith! :super: Thanks, I'm glad you liked my Pepe.

I'm not sure what exactly Monty Maldovan does beyond the Vinylmations. I've poked around on the net and have only seen his as a "final checker" on Mulan in Disney's animation department. Artist John Loter provides most of the Disney and Muppet licensing and stock art (along with many of the snowglobe designs). John's a great guy and a fantastic artist, but I still don't think any artist has a handle on Pepe yet. Disney doesn't quite have a grasp on the Muppet characters either, but the comics have shown how open they are to artistic interpretation so these Vinymation designs are really a lost opportunity to create something more interesting. You know, to take the ball and run with it! I must admit that Monte stepped up his game with Link, Strangepork and First Mate Piggy. It exhibits more fluidity usually found in urban vinyl. I was the biggest cheerleader for these when the Kermit first came out, but they've since fizzled for me.