Muppet Show Season 1

MJTaylor

Reaction score
There are several things that make the first season of The Muppet Show different to what was to follow:

The opening. (For instance, instead of trying to blow a horn, Gonzo tries to hit the O in "Show".
Four wise-cracking houses.
Wayne and Wonder (always introduced by Sam)
Hilda.
Miss Piggy not as pretty.
The newsman sometimes talks to the guest star who is on location.
Kermit chats with the guest star. That wouldn't happen in later seasons.
Kermit sometimes wears a purple tuxedo. Again, he wouldn't wear that in later years.
Also, they go right into the opening, rather then having Scooter knocking on the guest star's dressing room door and saying "15 (or whatever) seconds to curtain" or, as with the last season, the guest arriving and checking in with Pops. And Fozzie tells a joke during the opening.
No Pigs In Space.

Pug Lover

Reaction score
A few other things to note that make the first season different from the rest of the series./Fozzie looks different.A darker brown./Janice has a different voice./Floyd has slightly different eyes./Kermit and Fozzie don't seem to get along.Muppet Lab with Bunsun Honeydew only(no Beeker).No Robin,Link Hogthrob or Strangepork. :smile: :mad: :embarrassed:

WiGgY

Reaction score
Bunsen started without Beaker? Wow. I never saw a season 1 muppet labs bit.

Xerus

Reaction score
Also in the first season, Kermit had the panel discussion segments where he, the guest star, and a few other Muppets sit down and discuss things of lasting importance. But always got out of hand. I wish they kept that part for the rest of the series. That was fun to watch.

Animal

Reaction score
MJTaylor said:
Kermit chats with the guest star. That wouldn't happen in later seasons.
Actually the "Talk Spot" is featured in various episodes on both season 2 and 3...!

MJTaylor

Reaction score
Xerus said:
Also in the first season, Kermit had the panel discussion segments where he, the guest star, and a few other Muppets sit down and discuss things of lasting importance. But always got out of hand. I wish they kept that part for the rest of the series. That was fun to watch.
Oh yes. How could I forget that?

Pug Lover said:
Janice has a different voice
That's because Erin Osker did the voice in season 1. Richard Hunt took over for season 2 onwards.

I myself have thought of one more. Hilda. The later shows never had Hilda.

Pug Lover

Reaction score
No that's true. She only ever seemed to exist throughout season 1. Too bad.I rather liked Hilda. Incidently, however, the last time I viewed Shields & Yarnell's episode from season 4, I noticed Hilda in the audience of Shields & Yarnell's circus scene. Which was possibly the only time we ever saw her since season 1.

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
Hilda could have had a falling out with one of the muppet show cast members or she could have died, she was pretty old.

I've been looking at some old series 1 episodes lately and I was surprised about a few things, mainly janice's voice. I hadnt seen any series 1 episodes for so long that I had forgotten what it was like.