Muppet Film and TV References

muppet maniac

Reaction score
Family Guy

Model Misbehavior-Before the skit w/ Cookie Monster in rehab, Stewie asks Brian to come into his office and the Sesame Street phone rings. On the phone are 4 buttons with pictures of Big Bird, Ernie, The Count, and Grover. Stewie answers the phone and it's Grover calling(voice not heard), saying that the letter G and number 6 are wonderful. Then Stewie hangs up because he(Grover)wouldn't stop shouting. Notice that on the phone in another shot, Grover is replaced by Oscar the Grouch.

Wow who did Statler and Waldorf in that clip? They were pretty good!

Yeah I know! They sounded exactly like the originals. I wonder if the guys doing their voices would like to be Muppeteers for them(speaking of which, what was this story I heard about months ago...this Disney recasting thing... what was all that about? People said that it was a bad thing. I want to know why.

muppet maniac

Reaction score
I just saw an episode of Seinfeld(I'm now getting into that show now)and I think I've heard some reference to Statler and Waldorf...I don't know. Might have to check again. Something about some person going in and heckling another, and something about puppets being mentioned during that talk...

The Cookie Monster reff isn't "actual," so it must fall into a sort of parody loophole. The Pinball Number count, however, using the audio, or even the real tune (original recording or not) would have to have been authorized by SW or whomever owns the copywrite to the music.

I just saw the Pinball clip, and thought it was pretty good. Funny how Cookie says "I" instead of "me" in the rehab sketch.

And about the Sesame Street phone...I think that the character who's on the phone is actually supposed to be Oscar. Why? Because Stewie said that he'd call him back if he "calms down/stops shouting" And who do we know on SS shouts and never calms down? I think you all know who. Maybe the animators got the two characters mixed up so that's why the picture on the phone changed. Maybe :grouchy:

muppetwriter

Reaction score
Man! Seth MacFarlane is downright insane!:crazy:

I saw the episode of "Family Guy" where Cookie Monster was in rehab earlier tonight on FOX, and that had to be the funniest Muppet bit that I've seen on that show yet.

I think that episode's on the recent "Family Guy" volume dvd that they came out with late last year. I've got it, and I'm going to watch it again.:smile:

beaker

Reaction score
How many Muppets has Family Guy shown?

Bunsen and Beaker
Bert and Ernie
Cookie Monster
The Count

on the sister tv show American Dad, they had Big Bird, Elmo and Grover.
Family Guy has also had two different Sesame Street counting sketches...there's probably more references I'm forgetting. all I need them to do is reference Fraggle rock, and I'd be happy.

to date the only mainstream media thing that has referenced Fraggle Rock, if I recall, was a 1999 episode of Friends.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Family Guy has referenced Fraggle Rock! On the episode where Peter inherit's Lois' dead aunt's mansion he says "Come back! This is where the pilgrims landed at Fraggle Rock!"

ChinoXL

Reaction score
theprawncracker said:
Family Guy has referenced Fraggle Rock! On the episode where Peter inherit's Lois' dead aunt's mansion he says "Come back! This is where the pilgrims landed at Fraggle Rock!"
ha! yeah, i remember that i thought it was pretty neat hearing that

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
muppet maniac, I am a big fan of the simpsons and the lady playing the organ drops her headon it after playing "in the garden of enden" by (in reverend lovejoy's words) "I-Ron Butterfly." (I beleive they were spoofing a real song/band) Although, I do recal rowlf droping his head on his piano in the first season, so yeah, that could be a reference. Also, in the one where PBS is after homer, Elmo, Big Bird and Oscar are after him. And a direct muppets reference was muppets go medeival with troy mcclure. All that was on the simpsons. I feel like a know-it-all now :frown:

muppet maniac

Reaction score
How many Muppets has Family Guy shown?

Bunsen and Beaker
Bert and Ernie
Cookie Monster
The Count

on the sister tv show American Dad, they had Big Bird, Elmo and Grover.
Family Guy has also had two different Sesame Street counting sketches...there's probably more references I'm forgetting. all I need them to do is reference Fraggle rock, and I'd be happy.

to date the only mainstream media thing that has referenced Fraggle Rock, if I recall, was a 1999 episode of Friends.

Here's the accurate list:

Ernie
Speaking/appearance: Homicide Life on Sesame Street
Voiceover/name mention: I Never Met the Dead Man
Background prop: Model Misbehavior
Name mentioned: (Valerie Bertinelli...see Bert)

Bert
(same as first above)
Name mentioned: (forgot which episode)

Big Bird
Speaking/appearance: A Picture is Worth a Thousand Bucks
Name mentioned: I Never Met the Dead Man

Cookie Monster
Speaking/appearance: Model Misbehavior

Oscar the Grouch

Grover
Background prop/name mentioned: Model Misbehavior

The Count
Speaking/appearance/name mention: Family Guy Viewer Mail #1-Super Griffins

Bunsen Honeydew
Speaking/appearance: Jungle Fever

Miss Piggy
Background prop: Brian Does Hollywood

There was even an old man who bears close resemblence(look/voice)to Statler.

Brian Does Hollywood-frog doll-reference to Kermit; Homicide Life on Sesame Street: green filth in trashcans-Oscar, Peter is shaped like Beaker in Jungle Fever;

The characters who have appeared on American Dad(never sen it, but heard of it), are as follows:

Big Bird
Cookie Monster
Elmo
Miss Piggy(recently)