Muppet Babies DVD Box Sets

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
It seems that copyright control of certain characters, music samples and film or tv clips has gone crazy. Everything that is being released lately (in Muppet terms at least) is being cut because TriStar or Columbia or Disney or whoever cannot get the rights to show certain things that were perfectly fine only a few years ago. Why are companies so mean that they won't let a franchise like The Muppets include a song or a clip that they own in their DVD releases. What do they think they are going to lose by letting Vincent Price and a host of Muppet monsters sing "You Got A Friend In Me" or a Muppet dissasembling himself to "All Of Me"? I dispair at how mean and petty minded some companies can be. :frown:

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
Sorry about the last message. I seem to be replying to something to was bought up early in this thread. I think I must be a little slow! :smirk:

Marky

Reaction score
Mistersuperstar said:
It seems that copyright control of certain characters, music samples and film or tv clips has gone crazy. Everything that is being released lately (in Muppet terms at least) is being cut because TriStar or Columbia or Disney or whoever cannot get the rights to show certain things that were perfectly fine only a few years ago. Why are companies so mean that they won't let a franchise like The Muppets include a song or a clip that they own in their DVD releases. What do they think they are going to lose by letting Vincent Price and a host of Muppet monsters sing "You Got A Friend In Me" or a Muppet dissasembling himself to "All Of Me"? I dispair at how mean and petty minded some companies can be. :frown:
I understand your sentiment, and I akin this type of situation to, say, a bus strike - the rider (or consumer/fan in this case) is the one who loses out. However, it's more of a cloudy issue than a company being mean.

It's not easy bein' mean
(sorry)

Intellectual property is a juicy commodity, and rights to songs, show scripts, images, etc can change hands like Eddie Vedder on a good crowd surf. But Disney has the ultimate decision to either release what it can without legal problems, or wait out the red tape which can take eons. So they need to guess which the buyer wants - the bulk of it now, or every single snippet with an indeterminate release date.

Personally, I'll take what they could release now, but again, that's just me and I do sympathize w/ the completists.

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
I understand what you are saying Marky. I would love to see stuff released sooner rather than later. I just get annoyed and irritated at the companies who hold such copyrights and sometimes just point blank refuse to let another company such as Disney use the song or clip or whatever that they own for whatever money might be offered to them. There is another case that some certain songs might not have a copyright that can be easily traced maybe. Either way, I just find it rather infuriating. I'm just thankful that much of this stuff has been released in the past in it's entirety and I've managed to collect some of it over the last 15 years or so.

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
Mistersuperstar said:
First off all Disney/Muppets Holding Company, LLC. owns the "MUppet Babies" so why would they have troubble with "certain" things?! :confused: :smile:

PS i TO ALSO grew up watching "MB" on tv, on CBS.

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
Sorry, I did kinda ramble a bit. :embarrassed: I wasn't refering to Muppet characters. I was refering to, in the case of Muppet Babies for example, during the opening sequence we have a short clip from Star Wars, would the copyright holder of that clip allow it to be used on a DVD release nowadays?
All through all Muppet Babies episodes there are clips from old movies, famous voice impersonations of classic actors, and other stuff that Disney might have trouble finding the copyright to. Muppet Babies used a lot of vintage movie footage throughout it's run and lots of celebrity likenesses.

erniebert1234ss

Reaction score
Mistersuperstar said:
Sorry, I did kinda ramble a bit. :embarrassed: I wasn't refering to Muppet characters. I was refering to, in the case of Muppet Babies for example, during the opening sequence we have a short clip from Star Wars, would the copyright holder of that clip allow it to be used on a DVD release nowadays?
All through all Muppet Babies episodes there are clips from old movies, famous voice impersonations of classic actors, and other stuff that Disney might have trouble finding the copyright to. Muppet Babies used a lot of vintage movie footage throughout it's run and lots of celebrity likenesses.
Actually, that clip, as well as the Wizard of Oz clip, showed up on the video releases. I daresay all the episodes I have on video are complete.

So, there'd be no problem with putting those on DVD.

What's the issue here??

BJ

Marky

Reaction score
erniebert1234ss said:
Actually, that clip, as well as the Wizard of Oz clip, showed up on the video releases. I daresay all the episodes I have on video are complete.

So, there'd be no problem with putting those on DVD.

What's the issue here??

BJ
I think the issue is that the only people who would buy it are the folks posting in this thread - minus one.

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
Don't forget that movie rights to movie clips change hands regularly so who knows who owns the rights to some of the old clips that are used in Muppet Babies. The first time ever that there is been a problem with the rights to "You Got A Friend In Me", from the Vincent Price episode of The Muppet Show, is on the new Muppet Show DVD release. There could be the same kind of issues with Muppet Babies now.