MCForum PSA: Very BAD Movies...

beaker

Reaction score
scarecrowe:

Oh my Scarecrowe...youre a true film buff like I am(I thought I Was the only serious film buff on here) You astonishingly dont have one hour photo on here, which is one of the most astonishing and rivetting films Ive seen in awhile.

13 Conversations About One Thing - wanna see this, i like talking indie films

CQ -<<<
looks neat in a retro chic spy kind of way

Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood<<<

- eeeeeeewww...
how incredulously austentatous, this is in the same cringe mode to me as those Jane Austen 19th century adaptation films.

Signs <<<

darn good, i have my reservations bout the end but very good.

Siu lam juk kau (Shaolin Soccer) - <<<

wanna see this, i liked beijing bicyle, and am trying to get imports of other big asain hits like shirayuki hime, the returner, and zu warriors.

Minority Report -<<<

VEry cool, some big plot holes but one of the summers best.

The Road To Perdition -<<<

great look and score, but again...that pacing and ending, i dunno.

Films I'm anticipating for this year:

Blue Crush <<<

i love th elook of this, looks like th ebeach. and those waves, tubular man!

Adaptation<<<

this looks like a real find muck by spike jonze. i loved being john malkovich, and heard this one is equally bizarre...
an adaptation within a movie within another side movie.

Naqoyqatsi <<<

aw, you must be hardcore. 1984, 1990, 2002...
the third in these 3 phillip glass scored existential ambient pieces on life.

Timeline <<<

is this one even in production?

Red Dragon <<<

The #1 film im looking too. Red Dragon is the best darn book I ever read...and while som emight balk at Bret the family man rush hour ratner...with the danny elfman score, ted telly script, a dookie load of great actors, and that frighteningly trailer...oh man!

s1m0ne - Next from writer/director Andrew Niccol (The Truman Show, Gattaca). A star is... created.><<<

I wanna see this too, i like films with unuaul concepts.

The Fountain - <<<

all i gotta say is pi and requiem for a dream man!

I woul dlike to add to your great films to see this year list:
spirited away(miyazaki) the new one by anime legend miyazaki(princess mononoke) Disney is actually bringing this out. Cowboy Bebop the movie(another huge anime film, by Columbia)
Ken Park(by the gummo/kids/julien donkey boy people) and...
what has to be th emost frightening looking film ever: the ring(by dreamworks) which looks like blair witch and begotten meets a david lynch film. For neat trailers, there is apple.com/trailers that has almost all these.

Meanwhile it hurts to hear tmnt the cgi john woo film has been canned, and superman vs batman wont get underway til
2004. Though next year man, 2003...the matrix reloaded, the matrix revolutions, terminator 3 rise of the machines, xmen 2, the hulk, daredevil, ghost in the shell 2 manmachine interface, etc.

scarecroe

Reaction score
Re: scarecrowe:

One Hour Photo - doesn't interest me too much. Judging by the trailer, I've seen this movie a hundred times. With Robin Williams attached, it would be nice to see something fresh brought to the table here. I'll probably wait for this one to come to video.

Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood - Like I said, check your masculinity at the door. This is a definate chick flick. I loved it.

Signs - The only problem I had with this was the focus at the end with Graham's return to the Episcopalian priesthood. While I know I can walk away from that as meaning that Shyamalan wanted to tell us that the movie is about faith in general, I fear that too many will take it as a direct reference to the religious aspect rather than the broader sense implied throughout the rest of the film, and therein lose some of what Shyamalan was trying to say.

Naqoyqatsi - See this on the big screen if you have even an inkling of interest. You'll regret having not done so later if you don't. For more information on the Qatsi trilogy, check out qatsi.com. In November, I'm going to be lucky enough to see Koyaanisqatsi on the big screen with Philip Glass and ensemble there to perfrom the music live to the screening. I saw him do this with his 1999 score to the 1931 Bela Lugosi Dracula and it was truly a religious experience.

Timeline - Yep it's in production. Quite a bit of filming's been completed in Scotland I believe. They've built an entire castle for a number of exterior shots. Very little CGI here. Donner's also focusing on making it as realistic as possible, not one of these watered-down Hollywood looking-glass versions of an historic period of time where everyone's clean and pretty and speaks in a perfect dialect.

The Ring - All I can say for this is that it looks incredibly lame. I've only seen the trailer and played around with the official website a bit, but it just screams that it's trying too hard to be the next big off-kilter horror scene. I'm all set. Bring on Muppet Haunted House :smile:

I don't know much else about the Asian Cinema scene or the films you mentioned, but I do try and catch those that are big enough to have leaked over into my interest. I don't go out of my way to pursue them though. In this vein, Shaolin Soccer was a pleasant surprise. A meaningful plot in a well told and fun story.
Meanwhile it hurts to hear tmnt the cgi john woo film has been canned, and superman vs batman wont get underway til 2004. Though next year man, 2003...the matrix reloaded, the matrix revolutions, terminator 3 rise of the machines, xmen 2, the hulk, daredevil, ghost in the shell 2 manmachine interface, etc.
TMNT would have been fun; Superman/Batman I can wait for to ensure that it's done correctly; T3 will be fun; looking forward to the continuation of The Matrix story, although I have a feeling that I'd rather let the first just stand alone; X-Men, Hulk and Daredevil I'll wait until they come to cable... well, maybe not Hulk, we'll see; I saw Ghost In the Shell and was unimpressed so I'll prolly skip the sequel.

beaker

Reaction score
One Hour Photo - doesn't interest me too much. <<<

believe me, Ive seen it 3 times, and the trailers make a mockery out of it. They represent it as a film it is not. It is not a psycho on a path film, there is not even any scenes of violence or anything like that in it. From the films youve listed(aronofski, etc) I think youd really like this. I hope it wins several oscars, as to me it is one of the most important films out this year. And this is the best role Robin Williams has done too, as he is unrecognizable. This film is a character study on details and revealing the curtain on thoughts and dreams.

Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood - Like I said, check your masculinity at the door. This is a definate chick flick. I loved it.<<<

I like the name of it, but from those previews...I wanna leave with some masculinity left.

Signs - The only problem I had with this was the focus at the end with Graham's return to the Episcopalian priesthood<<<

hey so ya didnt like the ending too eh?

Naqoyqatsi - See this on the big screen if you have even an inkling of interest. You'll regret having not done so later if you don't. For more information on the Qatsi trilogy, check out qatsi.com. <<<

I know all about it. I saw the original one in a video store for $80 vhs. I like those experimental avant garde films, like Begotten, Eraserhead, Pi, or Tetsuo the Iron Man. Thats cool youll get to see Phillip Glass perform, as I missed him a couple years back.

The Ring - All I can say for this is that it looks incredibly lame. I've only seen the trailer and played around with the official website a bit, but it just screams that it's trying too hard to be the next big off-kilter horror scene<<<

Im hard to please...and after Halloween Ressurrection, fear.com, etc...this looks to finally get back to that primal fear of films like Jacob's Latter or Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me(Then again I list Gummo and Freddy Got Fingered as some of the scariest films Ive seen)

. I'm all set. Bring on Muppet Haunted House <<<

heresy! Hold you tongue man, this and other utterly pathetic JHC concepts better never see the light of the greenlight.

I don't know much else about the Asian Cinema scene or the films you mentioned, but I do try and catch those that are big enough to have leaked over into my interest. <<<

well, if done well, asian films are some of my fave in the foreign category. I love foreign films though, loved Amelie.
I like every genre cept Westerns amd horror. I love me some documentaries too.

>>>TMNT would have been fun; Superman/Batman I can wait for to ensure that it's done correctly; T3 will be fun; looking forward to the continuation of The Matrix story, although I have a feeling that I'd rather let the first just stand alone<<<

No way...the matrix from the first time I read was to be a tilogy, I'd cry if they didnt make a 2 and 3. The Matrix to me is one of the most important films ever.

X-Men, Hulk and Daredevil I'll wait until they come to cable... well, maybe not Hulk, we'll see<<<

Xmen 2 is the only one I'm interested in.

I saw Ghost In the Shell and was unimpressed so I'll prolly skip the sequel.<<<<

say it aint so...you liked Akira and Princess Mononoke tho right?

Anyways, you did list some interesting ones like qatsi3, adaptation, etc. Bet you didnt think thered be someone on MC who knew what those were, hehe. But for the record, Red Dragon is my #1 film to look forward to this Fall. The Chamber of Secrets and The Two Towers? Are those about the Catholic priest scandal and 9/11? NEXT!

scarecroe

Reaction score
I'd have to say the funniest parts of Goldmember were the site gags, most notably during the physical behind the curtain. I stopped breathing for much of that scene as I was laughing so hard.

The opening was a real treat if for nothing else than the fact that the franchise has done well enough to have garnered the association of such high profile players. To that degree, I find it equally as impressive that all the cast members continue to return for sequels. Michael York, Robert Wagner, Mindy Sterling and Seth Green who's really not all that great an actor, but just very likable over all.

I particularly liked how Austin made a big deal of how much a film composer and his work brings to the table on a film. The choices for Famous Director and Famous Composer were favorable as the two of them have worked together in real life before.

I found myself really enjoying Beyoncé Knowles. An extremely gorgeous woman with at least enough acting chops to play this role very well. I'd like to see what else she's got... er, acting wise that is. Yeah.

The fine line of truth her eof course is that Brittany Spears is revealed as her true self. One of Dr. Franklin's femme bot creations.

beaker

Reaction score
I was absolutely surprised by Goldmember...I hadnt seen the previous two in theatres, but knew I had to see this one. Sure there were a lot of scattalogical and member jokes, but there was definate brillaint gags in there. And that gangster rap video...OH MAN!!! I give the film four stars just for that!
Theres a lot of little fan nuggets, little small inside stuff that you got to be awarre of, that are a gillion times better than the obvious average joe in the audience ones. Its the small stuff that makes the big picture.

My favorite comedies are those indie types, like Swingers, Made, Clerks, Offcie Space, Waiting for Guffman...but man, as far as mainstream big budget comedies go, this one rocks!

radionate

Reaction score
I laughed so hard at the Godzilla scene that I both had tears coming out of my eyes and was hyper ventilating. I missed a line, and nearly missed it the second time I saw it as I still cracked up. Such a great tongue in cheek scene on multiple levels.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Jackie

<<Aww Jamie, Dragons are cool! I mean sure we didn't get into their personalities, but I still thought it was cool for what it was worth. >>

You are right, dragons are cool, but those really were not and it was a very dragonless movie. Just a bunch of guys hanging out in a dim castle the whole time. Not very interesting. I really wanted to see this movie, but it really was lacking. It would have been nice to see the dragons...but we got some poor CG work and very little of it at that. I'm wondering it that was a good thing. And there was no "money shot". The posters lead you to believe you wil see the dragons attack London. Never happened on screen. :frown: There were a couple of reasons I liked the film that kept it from getting an F...but I won't go into those. LOL! :smile:

radionate

Reaction score
Re: Jackie

Originally posted by frogboy4
There was no "money shot". There were a couple of reasons I liked the film that kept it from getting an F...but I won't go into those. LOL! :smile:
I'm not touching that the jokes I could make here with a twenty foot pole!

BTW, nice turtle Jamie :wink: