MC Book Of The Month Discussion

Beebers

Reaction score
I'm somewhat overdosed on all things LOTR at this point, in part because I've read the series so many times and in part because of the films, though I'm crazy about them.

However - I'll go along with the majority rule each time, n/p.
I very much like Whatever's suggestion. I've not read that book in forever, and I need access to things I don't have to pay any money to read. But, anything you guys decide eez fine.

:cool:

jediX

Reaction score
Well, I hate Wizard in all forms. Period. That's just me. Why? I don't know. It's like the Rolling Stones... I can't stand them for absolutely no reason either. :wink:

Besides, didn't/isn't TP do/doing a book thing on Wizard?

Whatever

Reaction score
Well, the wizard doesn't show up till near the end- and he's a humbug. :wink:

jediX

Reaction score
It's the other characters I don't like. Throw in some cyborgs or something, then maybe it would be readable :wink:

Hmmmm.,.. they should do a sci fi version...then maybe I'd like it. Instead of a tin man there would be some kind of robot, and instead of a lion there would be a mutated thing....ahhh forget it. Too much work.

Whatever

Reaction score
Looks like we've got a discussion going already hehe.

mupvisiongirl

Reaction score
My vote is for wizard of oz, esp with the new muppet oz movie coming out :big_grin: Plus it's a really interesting book!

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
jediX said:
Plus it's very common and easy to come by in stores. My copy of all three books plus the appendices was only $12.
Wow!! That was really cheap. Mine was like... $70 I think? My parents got it for me for my 8th grade graduation. I think it was around there... but then, that was the super-fancy hardcover Alan Lee illustrated edition. Still, our paperback books at Walden's are like 7 or 8 bucks a pop; I don't think you can get it for much less than $20. *grumbles about how expensive books are these days*
Erin

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Don'tLiveonMoon said:
Wow!! That was really cheap. Mine was like... $70 I think? My parents got it for me for my 8th grade graduation. I think it was around there... but then, that was the super-fancy hardcover Alan Lee illustrated edition.
That is a great edition. I got it for my wife for her birthday a few years ago, and it's the edition we read for the next several years. We also have the Alan Lee "The Hobbit," which she got for my birthday the year before. Alan Lee's paintings are just beautiful, and I'm so glad he was involved in the movies.

As for reading, I don't think I'd be re-reading LOTR anytime soon. We just finished them last fall, so I'm not ready to delve back in yet... I'm still open to the whole reading-group thing, though...

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
I just finished "rereading" it last month. :stick_out_tongue: I'm really not a big one for rereading books; I rarely do, since my shelves are stacked with books I've never read. I'd never actually read LOTR cover to cover myself before then, having had it read to me by my dad, but I know the parts involving the hobbits like the back of my hand, and several other parts. The battles and history and such get a little hazy for me though... I have the Michael Hague edition of "The Hobbit," which I got for Easter when I was seven. It's nice, but I wouldn't mind having the Alan Lee edition as well. We have it at Walden's and it is soooo cool. I love how there are illustrations on all these pages underneath and around the writing... very cool.
Erin

Firecat87

Reaction score
Just a suggestion

I love the idea of a mc book club/ discussion group. Since we have been going back and forth trying to pick a book to start with, I'd like to pose a suggestion. Perhaps everyone could submit their suggestions for books to read, and then either we could vote on which to start with first, or make some sort of schedule for discussing them. With how busy everyone is with their individual stuff, I'm not sure how reasonable a book a month sounds, but something along those lines. Just an idea.

:big_grin: