Major Changes in store for Sesame Street Season 46

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Exactly. Those were things that were a long time coming anyway. They just got Luis back to a semblance of regularity with the bike shop. They usually just use Alan and Chris. Alan's probably taking on the older adult surrogate parent role from Gordon, while the others are more of the youthful relatives types.
Yeah but that's something I don't understand. If they are trying to phase out the older cast members like Susan,Bob and Gordon then why has the opposite happened with Luis?:confused:

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Actress Suki Lopez has confirmed via the resume on her website that she has joined the cast for the 46th season as a new, recurring character named Nina.
It's sad when you think about it. When I watched the show when I was younger we had Maria, Luis, Susan, Gordon, Bob and Linda. Now people are growing up with Nina, Leela, Mando, Chris and Alan.

Seems like kids today may not even know who the first group of people I mentioned are.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Seems like kids today may not even know who the first group of people I mentioned are.
Sesame Street viewers have a short turn around. At the most generous, the demographic is 2-6, maybe 7. To half the audience, everything is new to them. That's who the constant reruns benefit. Kids today that watch the show know only the main group of people on the show currently. I don't think any of them know or care about the 46 year history of the show.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Yeah. My niece and nephew might know since I know they've seen earlier "Sesame Street" material like "Christmas Eve on Sesame Street" and "Follow that Bird" and things like that. But a lot of kids may not know that the show of today isn't the same show that it was in the 80s or even early 90s.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
It's sad when you think about it. When I watched the show when I was younger we had Maria, Luis, Susan, Gordon, Bob and Linda. Now people are growing up with Nina, Leela, Mando, Chris and Alan.

I'm not really that upset about it anymore I find Leela, Alan,Armando etc to be very capable "replacements". But at the same time the older guys are still great talents and very well developed characters regardless of their ages,they have them but they are waisting precious time they have with them. Probably the only reason they haven't fired them yet is so adults watching the show with kids can see them and go "Oh hey look it's Gordon,I remember him".

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Alan's been on the show for almost 20 years, and has been operating Hooper's Store longer than anyone else - even Mr. Hooper himself. Don't really see what the big deal is regarding him.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah. My niece and nephew might know since I know they've seen earlier "Sesame Street" material like "Christmas Eve on Sesame Street" and "Follow that Bird" and things like that. But a lot of kids may not know that the show of today isn't the same show that it was in the 80s or even early 90s.
I grew up never really seeing Mr. Hooper outside of the Christmas special. He died right before I was able to watch the show, so I'd admit some confusion the first time I saw it. Other than that, I'm glad Sesame Street, outside of child actors, Gordon, and Mr. Hanford, never recast any of the main human character when they got older and or moved on. Lesser shows would have recast the adults on the regular to keep them in the 20-40 year old range, meaning we'd have several Bobs, Marias, and Susans by now. This gives the show a healthy bit of reality, even though the ageless Muppet characters cause a paradox (and can be recast without much of a difference). I like that the humans were always coming and going because, well... that's what happens in real life. People move away, new people come in. Giving new characters to fill in the gaps left by older ones manages to unintentionally add a "make a new friend today" level a show like Sesame Street does great with.

As long as the newer cast members work well with the show and the Muppets, I'm always happy to see new faces.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I grew up never really seeing Mr. Hooper outside of the Christmas special. He died right before I was able to watch the show, so I'd admit some confusion the first time I saw it. Other than that, I'm glad Sesame Street, outside of child actors, Gordon, and Mr. Hanford, never recast any of the main human character when they got older and or moved on. Lesser shows would have recast the adults on the regular to keep them in the 20-40 year old range, meaning we'd have several Bobs, Marias, and Susans by now. This gives the show a healthy bit of reality, even though the ageless Muppet characters cause a paradox (and can be recast without much of a difference). I like that the humans were always coming and going because, well... that's what happens in real life. People move away, new people come in. Giving new characters to fill in the gaps left by older ones manages to unintentionally add a "make a new friend today" level a show like Sesame Street does great with.

As long as the newer cast members work well with the show and the Muppets, I'm always happy to see new faces.
Well said!

Status
Not open for further replies.