Little things we've noticed

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
I remember seeing "Ah, for the Joys of the Countryside", and discovered on an overhead highway sign being constructed, a municipality called Cranbury. Was this a hybrid parody of Danbury (in Connecticut) and cranberry?

I know Danbury was seen on a fire truck in the musical film segment "What Do People Do All Day?"

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I have been liking the recently-uncovered info on Don't Eat the Pictures.

I wonder if the original plan, to find Snuffleupagus stuff, would have been better. I am at a loss over that scripted scene where they see a resting Snuffleupagus but think it's something from the museum. That original opening number sounds great.

They originally wanted to do this in season 10, but chose not to until 1981, and didn't end up doing the special until 1983 (wow, they planned it before Big Bird in China but it came later). I wonder if Mr. Hooper was in the early drafts.

The "Sesame Street Deleted Scenes" page also gives info on what happened in the deleted Elmo interview in 20 and Still Counting, Elmo didn't know how to get to Sesame Street but kept wanting to be asked (I wonder if we'll get info on the deleted Honkers scene, though it's probably Kermit couldn't get an answer due to their honking).

Oscarfan

Reaction score
though it's probably Kermit couldn't get an answer due to their honking).
Pretty much.

I wonder if the original plan, to find Snuffleupagus stuff, would have been better.
It doesn't seem really amount to much of anything; they look for the sarcophagus, eventually find it, and go to sleep. Yawn. I'm sure they might have been some funny lines and such in it, but the Prince Sahu plot is a lot more interesting and gives the whole special an emotional core.

There's a bunch more neat things to follow, so keep your eyes peeled. :wink:

Last edited:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
There's a bunch more neat things to follow, so keep your eyes peeled. :wink:
Can't wait. I've been clicking on "what links here" on the Yale page quite a bit (and been excited when I see you've made additions to certain Sesame things Tony Geiss worked on).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
A few things I wondered about regarding some edits sourced from the Tony Geiss papers...

So two videos that have some new info on the wiki because of it are A Celebration of Me, Grover! and The Best of Kermit on Sesame Street. Are the segment listings in the scripts for the videos written similar or differently from how they are in regular episode scripts? Those are also two videos that have many clip montages, do those montages list what all clips are sampled?

Before I learned that the regular episode scripts often include transcribed (studio) insert segments when they first appear, I had thought all insert sketches were just scripted onto their own scripts and just listed in the episode scripts (including first episodes to have them), but I saw under "unproduced Sesame Street segments" info on an unproduced Guy Smiley sketch. Was this just written on its own script pages or was this part of an early draft of an episode?

Oscarfan

Reaction score
So two videos that have some new info on the wiki because of it are A Celebration of Me, Grover! and The Best of Kermit on Sesame Street. Are the segment listings in the scripts for the videos written similar or differently from how they are in regular episode scripts? Those are also two videos that have many clip montages, do those montages list what all clips are sampled?
Basically the same. The Kermit one was more of a storyboard than script, so I didn't really bother much with it.

I saw under "unproduced Sesame Street segments" info on an unproduced Guy Smiley sketch. Was this just written on its own script pages or was this part of an early draft of an episode?
The former. They have episode scripts there as well, but I didn't look through any of them because we've already got that stuff covered. It's entirely possible there's earlier drafts of stuff with unaired bits in them, but that'll be for some other time.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It's entirely possible there's earlier drafts of stuff with unaired bits in them, but that'll be for some other time.
Hopefully when you or any wiki contributor goes next - and I am not sure how far a drive it is for any of you (I used to think that The University of Maryland was a close enough drive for Danny to visit fairly regularly, as opposed to it being more of a one-time trip) - we'll learn details of some really rare bits we kind of know about. Fingers crossed there's script drafts featuring info on the rare Starship Surprise, or maybe that pictured segment with David as Superman, or details on some bits we only know about because they were mentioned in program guides but didn't make the final aired scripts.

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
I know there is a cartoon segment "L for lake" in which a man jumps into a poster of Lake Lillian. Was there a show staffer named Lillian whom that fictional lake was named after?

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
In Episode 847, which I just downloaded a few minutes ago as I post this, I discovered in the "I in the Sky" segment (both airings), as the letter was being polished, the letter looked to be more orange instead of the well-known yellow version. Were there actually two versions of this segment, and the one many are most familiar with - the yellow version - was Version 2.0? It seems as if this might be the earliest known episode on the Internet that has "I in the Sky" being aired.

EDIT: It appears there is an earlier episode on the Internet, and that is #592. I am not sure if it has the orange I version,, but it was offered as part of the iTunes release and is also on HBO Max.