Little things we've noticed

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It just now occured to me after all these years that Susan is absent from ESC.

Come to think of it, it seems like she was the first of the humans of SS to gradually disappear from the show.
I hadn't noticed that, though I did notice she was absent from Stars and Street Forever while Gordon was there (and for a long time, I had forgotten that Gordon was part of the special).

Yeah, I noticed Susan seeming to not be around that much in season 30 (though she was in the season premier, I'm thinking it must have took awhile before her next appearance in the season).

Actually, Olivia might be the first to gradually disappear, as her time on 227 limited her time on Sesame Street before she left completely (and then 227 ended not too long after.... I wonder if she ever tried to come back as a cast member). I wonder if there seemed to be noticable gaps in Luis on the show when Emillio Delgardo did Lou Grant (well, he was missing from the specials that came out around that era).

Part of the Sesame Street News segment with Mona Monster imagining on a rainy day was just uploaded, and I now see that it takes place in the same green living room set that would soon be Kermit's living room during the 1980s. I'd seen just a screenshot and didn't pick up on that.

hooperfan

Reaction score
Mr. Hooper seemed to be missing in many season 13 episodes. Whether it was health oriented or if he was working on other projects at the time, I don't know.

And he obviously wasn't seen in season 14 much, apart from reran plots/sketches.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It's recently occured to me that many of the puppets used for the Muppets during the early and mid-90s are some of my least favorite builds of these characters. Something about Big Bird's heard with the extra white feathers around his eyes, and the flatness of the front of his face just doesn't appeal to me. Elmo's fur is too smooth, and his eyes are too big for his head. Telly had that skinny, crooked nose. Baby Bear was just a recycled generic bear puppet.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
I’m surprise that the original Telly was just refurbished until the early 2000’s when they finally built a new one.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Perhaps certain fabric or materials were hard to come by, or that original puppet just held up really well all those years.

Oscar on the other hand, Caroll has said they just continually patched him up and repaired him over the years, rather than build new ones (until recently, that is), but in Oscar's case, that really helped add to his overall grungy, dingy, trashy appearance.

CoolGuy1013

Reaction score
This has been bugging me for a while, but in the season 47 NOTD song (How Many Cookies), they never mention that the number of cookies in the oven is the number of the day. That’s left to the audience to assume. Why?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
They eventually corrected this and began counting the cookies that came out of the oven, which obviously worked for the better, because with the timing of the song and everything, it was difficult, even as an adult, to count the cookies before the Count reveals the number of the day.

CoolGuy1013

Reaction score
You didn’t really read what I said, did you? I was talking about how the song never explicitly says that the number of cookies is the NOTD.

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
It just now occured to me after all these years that Susan is absent from ESC.

Come to think of it, it seems like she was the first of the humans of SS to gradually disappear from the show.
What does ESC stand for?

To be fair, Susan was one of the two original human characters on the show when it premiered in 1969. It's surprising that Bob remained on the show through at least 2003 (I saw him on the episode about a Scottish Muppet losing his bagpipes). But yeah, Bob's appearances were few and far between by that point.

Maria was still quite prevalent even in the 2000s, but she retired just before the HBO deal.

Bob, along with Gordon (Roscoe's version) and Luis, were likely laid off in 2015 following the HBO deal, but have since agreed to take a retirement package.

I do have one question: is Gabi still on the show in first-run episodes?

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
What does ESC stand for?

To be fair, Susan was one of the two original human characters on the show when it premiered in 1969. It's surprising that Bob remained on the show through at least 2003 (I saw him on the episode about a Scottish Muppet losing his bagpipes). But yeah, Bob's appearances were few and far between by that point.

Maria was still quite prevalent even in the 2000s, but she retired just before the HBO deal.

Bob, along with Gordon (Roscoe's version) and Luis, were likely laid off in 2015 following the HBO deal, but have since agreed to take a retirement package.

I do have one question: is Gabi still on the show in first-run episodes?
Boy you were really completely wrong. After season 45 nearly all the cast members except for Alan, Chris and Nina were let go due to financial reasons, HBO came in last minute. Plus Bob was still on the show only very rarely.

Also, ESC is Elmo Saves Christmas.