Little things we've noticed

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
I saw images from the scenes in Episode 1615, the one where the gang visit Grandma Harriet's farm. The scenes appear to be set during autumn, based on how the leaves look. It was mentioned that the purpose of going to the farm was to do the last harvest of vegetables supposedly before the winter. Two episodes later, was the start of the winter arc episodes.

I think the Grandma Harriet's farm episode was perhaps the beginning stages of the winter arc saga, though Episode 1616 - the episode where Bruno dances - may not have had references to cold climate in the street scenes, though in Scene 4, the kids were wearing jackets, implying it was getting colder on the street.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I saw one season 11 credits sequence online that credited Brian Muehl as performing Barkley in the cast, as opposed to the "Jim Henson's Muppets" credit. I wonder if Michael Earl eventually got credited that season, would he have been grouped in the cast (maybe saying he performed Snuffleupagus?).

It is interesting, Muehl and Earl were the two main performers besides Caroll Spinney in seasons 10-12 (well, I suspect they weren't so main until season 11, coming in late in season 10), yet neither performer went to Puerto Rico for the Puerto Rico episodes.

It's also interesting, all these years, I thought Caroll Spinney was the only performer who was credited with his characters on Sesame Street (Elmo's sudden popularity never lead to the credits listing "Kevin Clash as Elmo", and I don't think the credits list "Ryan Dillion as Elmo". In fact I don't think the current credits note Matt Vogel as Big Bird and Eric Jacobson as Oscar), and for a long time it seemed rare for the other Muppet performers to be credited with their characters outside of movies and album credits. And now I know that Brian Muehl was credited as performing Barkley in season 11 and Bob Payne was credited as performing Osvaldo in the Puerto Rico episodes (also a surprise as I thought the credits for the season would always be the same, even when there were episode-specific closing credits - so the last of the Puerto Rico episodes credited its guests).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Back when the carriage house had those number stickers, there were always two numbers that were conspicuously absent: 3 and 7.

cjd874

Reaction score
A hand-drawn picture of Big Bird and an orange Oscar used to hang next to Big Bird's nest from seasons 3 through 7...even though Oscar was no longer orange during that time.

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
Back when the carriage house had those number stickers, there were always two numbers that were conspicuously absent: 3 and 7.
There definitely wasn't a 7 included (I too was always confused on why that was the case), but 3 was on the wall with the 5 and 6- in Season 10 half of it was torn off and by Season 13 it was completely gone. On that note, I was always curious to know why those stickers were getting torn up overtime.

CoolGuy1013

Reaction score
Because the original puppet started to fall apart, and they rebuilt it green for some reason.

Technically, he never changed colors, as apparently in-universe the green is just moss and if it were washed off (fat chance of that happening), he’d be orange.

cjd874

Reaction score
Why did they change Oscar's color anyway?
Because the original puppet started to fall apart, and they rebuilt it green for some reason.

Technically, he never changed colors, as apparently in-universe the green is just moss and if it were washed off (fat chance of that happening), he’d be orange.
According to Caroll Spinney's autobiography, Oscar was rebuilt as a green Grouch for the Flip Wilson Show after Season 1 wrapped (circa May or June 1970). When Flip knocked on the can and the new puppet emerged, one of the SS or CTW producers - who was unaware of the change - said, "What's THAT? Why the **** is he green?" Caroll plainly responded, "Jim wanted him to be green."

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
Plus it's been reported that Jim destroyed the original Oscar puppet which Caroll thought was stupid.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Jim just basically ripped it up to reuse the material.